Albania from Corfu

May 23rd, 2018, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Albania from Corfu

In 1981 we saw Albania across the water from Corfu and wondered what it was like. We will now be in Corfu for a long weekend at the beginning of September and wonder if anyone has taken a day trip to Albania- possibly to Butrint. Was it good?
May 23rd, 2018, 10:30 AM

Tons of package tourists do day trips from Corfu to Butrint.
But frankly: in this way you will see almost nothing of Albania and Butrint isn't that interesting.
I suppose you know that the local people along the overtouristy Albanian coast in front of Corfu (Saranda etc.) and up to Gjirokaster are all Greeks (Greek speaking Albanian citizens, of course). The real Albania is farther away.
May 29th, 2018, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

No I didn't know what you say about the Greek population but I am particularly interested in trying to see Butrint. I understand from your reply that it should be possible to do this on a day trip from Corfu- which isthe time I have available. I have just been able to borrow Bradt's guidebook on Albania.
Thank you for responding to me- I have been in a gloriously sunny Island of Mull until this evening which is why I haven't come back to you sooner.
May 29th, 2018, 04:19 PM

I found Butrint quite interesting for what it is and for it's great location, i wouldn't compare it to other archaeological sites however.
Sarande ( Agioi Saranda in Greek) was a huge disappointment for me, as i was expecting a more traditional city, but i was glad to having seen it.
I visited the area not from Corfu, but with a car when i was on holidays in Sivota near Igoumenitsa, and that was a very exciting trip.

The Mainland cost of Epirus is very beautiful along with the inland and cities such as Ioannina or the mountainous village of Metsovo, maybe
there is an organized tour from Corfu that you could join.
May 29th, 2018, 05:49 PM

I thought Butrint was OK, but not a place to go out of your way to reach.

See: https://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com...in-in-saranda/

i was traveling by public transport and a couple of hired car-and-drivers from Macedonia through Albania to Montenegro. I agree that northern Greece is well worth seeing.
May 30th, 2018, 07:58 AM

You can choose between:
fully organized guided tour from Corfu by catamaran (custom formalities in the harbour around 8.30) to Saranda and by bus to Butrint and back to Saranda for lunch and some free time until 15.30 when you will have to be at the harbour for the way back to Corfu ar 16.30.
Individual trip with the same catamarans, plus bus or taxi transport between Saranda and Hexamilio resp. Butrint.

Search this Thread