ALBA v. ASTI

Old Sep 7th, 2006, 07:46 AM
JRM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ALBA v. ASTI

We are going to be in Piemonte in about two weeks. Which of theses towns would be the best destination. We are very serious about wines from this area and enjoy fine dining> Also any hotel and restaurant comments would be appreciated. Thank you very much!
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 09:33 AM

Look at www.villasampaguita.com
Tell Tim I sent you.
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 10:31 PM

If you are serious about wines, and want to enjoy a relaxing but great gastronomic vacation, then it does not really matter if you choose Asti or Alba, both are wonderful, because both lie in the right area. Between the two, you are easily in Neive, Barbaresco. JUst on on the other side of ALba, but very reachable from Asti are La Morra, Barolo, Monforte d'Alba, Dogliani, Grinsana Cavour. Barolo itself has eleven seperate areas of production so the entire two weeks could be spent there. Instead, however, I suggest heading over to the Nizza Monferrato area, because the area between Asti and Nizza is, IMO, the best production area for Barbera d'Asti. Pico Macario and Noceto Michelotti come to mind as two larger producers to visit for Barbera and Barbera Superiore, La Barbatella is a smaller producer to visit. Other producers in the area would be Scarpa, Coppo.
Restaurants: Modonna di Como (Alba), La Sosta (Montabone), Il Bardon (Calamandrana), I Caffi (Acqui Terme), Il Giardinetto (Sesame), La Curia (Acqui Terme).

Tim's place is ideally located for a tour of Alba and Asti.
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 11:24 PM

I agree with bellaqui 100%. Piemonte is a great place to enjoy some of the best wine and food in Italy. My personal preference in this area is barollo, and the Langhe area (where the village of barollo is located) is a wonderful place to visit.

In Alba at this time of year is the white truffle festival, and all the restaurants in the area serve food with white truffles. There's a also a white truffle fair held on weekends in Alba during this time.

If you are really into great restaurants, I suggest you go to La Felicin, a one star Michelin restaurant located in Monforte d'Alba, which is one of the Langhe villages. and a few KM from the village of barollo. Here's the URL of La felicin:
http://www.felicin.it/

Also, if you'd like to read about our visit to this area, here's the URL of my web page on one of our visits:
http://www.travel.stv77.com/umbria/umbria1.htm
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 01:18 PM
JRM
Original Poster

We thank you for your detailed responses. We are leaving next week and I will certainly take advantage of your advice.