Alba truffle fest

Search

Alba truffle fest

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alba truffle fest

We were in Alba the 2nd week-end in October for the Truffle festival and market. First I have to state in advance that we are huge fans of the whole "town festival" concept. Not everyone is, but I think its a wonderful way for smaller towns to entice tourists, and Alba does a great job. There was lots to see and do, plus I feel like I got a good start to an education on white Truffles. Because they are so expensive here in the states, my experience has been limited to oils, powders, and other truffle-like substances, but never the real thing.

We spent one night at the Villa d'Amelia in Benevello, about 10 minutes drive from Alba, and were impressed. It's brand new, the pool had not been installed yet and the landscaping was only partially finished. My husband looked out the window of our room and said he felt right at home, they're not done renovating either. The small chapel next door to our room, was still gutted down to the walls, with no floor. But the rest of the villa is done very nicely, modern, elegant and subdued. They have a great looking restaurant that was busy on the evening we were there. We ate at the festival, so didn't bother with restaurant reservations.

The big deal is the Truffle Market which costs 1 euro to get in. The smell of truffles smacks you in the face before you get in the door. Lots of wines to taste and buy, local food products and of course the truffle vendors. There was a small stand-up cafe which offered various meals with or with-out truffles. Late Sunday morning I had two perfectly cooked eggs, sunny side up, runny with a piece of bread and a large glass of Barolo. You take your eggs over to a special station and someone shaves lots and lots of truffles over the eggs - heaven for 25 euros.

The night before we were in a piazza in the city center for the Truffle Bacchanal. There were activities - silly fun like fishing for bottles - you get a long bamboo pole, with twine, and iron ring on the end. Stand outside a circle of straw bales with all kinds of full wine bottles. They start the timer and if you can drop your ring over a bottle - its yours. I got a bottle on the practice session, but couldn't do it again when the timer was on.

But mostly there is lots of food, with Truffles of course. And lots of wine. Not great wine and not fabulous food but a lot of fun anyway. Because we were there towards the beginning of our trip we didn't buy any fresh truffles to bring home. Next time.

Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 11:52 AM

OMG that sounds so amazing. I am so so so jealous of your experience. truffles are quite possibly my most favorite food.
Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 10:15 AM

Just like to remind all the truffe lovers out there that local truffle festivals are held every sunday all over the smaller towns in the Langhe and Monferrato areas of Piedmont and that the truffles get better as the year progress's, this time is super-good. This has been a good year for white truffles, prices are very low this year, down to around 2.50 euro a gram, almost cheap enough to stuff thanksgiving turkey with!
Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 02:26 PM

how do i find out if there is a festival when i am in italy? (feb 18-23)
Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 11:38 PM

Well there won't be any truffle festivals at this time, the only festivals usually in February are the carnivals held in many cities, you would really need to check with the local tourist office, or try a google search on where you are going for a carnival.
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 03:45 AM

Thanks very much for this interesting report. Definitely now on my 'to do' list ! I was of course aware that people go to Alba at that time of year to buy truffles, but didn't realise there were all these goings-on.

I've been to the Ludlow Food Festival twice and it's great fun with its sausage trail, real ale trail, lots of good things to sample - but nothing like truffles shaved on to eggs which sounds like heaven.
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 08:22 AM

We, too, attended a truffle festival in Croatia several weeks ago. But even better than that was truffle hunting! It was indescribably fantastic. We were given a few truffles the dogs sniffed out that were too small. We also went to a strictkly truffle restauranthttp://www.zigantetartufi.com/novo/index.php?id=107&L=2 where every dish showcases black and white truffles (we had both). It was beyond superb. We have had truffles before but not in such abundance as this trip! If interested read my trip report here http://p104.ezboard.com/feuropetogof...icID=265.topic. It includes the truffle hunt and the truffle dishes we ate.

I agree with gwarring - the local town festivals are not to be missed.
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 01:44 PM

Oh gwarring I am jealous and also drooling, lol! Truffles, ambrosia in my mind. Thanks for sharing you experiences.
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 09:32 PM

"We, too, attended a truffle festival in Croatia several weeks ago. But even better than that was truffle hunting! It was indescribably fantastic. We were given a few truffles the dogs sniffed out that were too small. We also went to a strictkly truffle restauranthttp://www.zigantetartufi.com/novo/index.php?id=107&L=2 where every dish showcases black and white truffles (we had both). It was beyond superb. We have had truffles before but not in such abundance as this trip"

Neat restaurant link. I guess that truffles are more abundant and cheaper in Croatia then in Piedmont. Actually white truffles occur all over this part of Europe in fall, Slovenia, Umbria and Le Marche all have their truffle festivals too. I can't say which are best, since I only strated eating truffles when I moved to Piedmont and I know gourmets from all over the world come here as they say Piedmont has the most intense and flavouful ones (and most expensive), in fact I have heard stories of truffles from other regions being brought to Piedmont for sale to unsuspecting tourists. Maybe someone should organize a truffle blind tasting in some neutral town!

I do agree that a truffle hunting experience is something else, we have people who do that here in Piedmont too.

Yesterday I had lunch at a famous restaurant in Neive and the owner came around with abasket of truffles, including one that weighed 200 grams (almost a half pound), what an intense perfume!
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 08:48 AM

Hi Tim,
Was that restaurant in Nieve called La Cantea ??
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 11:47 AM

Actually "La Contea" is the name.