Reload this Page >

Alaska Steward on Plane goes Bananas

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2001, 08:30 AM
Phillis

Just thought to mention that air rage goes both ways. The stewardess and steward seem more rude and indifferent that ever before. I was seated in business, with my husband in coach, (we could only buy one business ticket--that's all that was available). I asked for two glasses of wine,and took one back to my husband. The steward had a fit, accused me of "playing games" and told my I was out of order. "the drinks are complimentary here and you are supposed to pay in coach! Stop playing these cute games with me!!!" I explained nicely that I was only trying to show my husband my appreciation for lettine me have the business class ticket and offered to pay for MY wine, just to make it even. WOw! What a fit over a glass of wine. Also had one guy spill a glass of tomato juice on my white dress, then chide me severely when I tried to stand up, saying "don't stand up, it will run all over the floor" THen he dissapeared and left me to deal with the mess. I thought my husband was going to hit him. So you see, AIR rage goes both ways.

Old May 31st, 2001, 08:48 AM
Thyra

Was it on Alaska Airways?

Old May 31st, 2001, 08:50 AM
To Phillis

Does this have something to do with Europe travel? <BR> <BR>Are there flights from Alaska to Europe now? <BR>

Old May 31st, 2001, 08:56 AM
Judy

Phillis, what an awful reaction from the steward IMO, what is this world coming too? Why did he care? Stuff like that really gets me mad.....talking about needing to get a life! Who were you hurting? the airline, the steward? Prozac in the drinking water seems like a solution, yes? &lt;g&gt; Judy <BR>Ps. BTW, I always order 2 wines when the drink cart comes around, cause it takes forever to get another glass of wine! Lush that I am!

Old May 31st, 2001, 09:52 AM
shush

Phillis, Alaska Airlines is based in Seattle, WA and flies to many destinations besides Alaska. The famous Alaska Airlines crash last year was en route from Mexico to LA, I believe.

Old May 31st, 2001, 09:14 PM
xxxxx

Still nothing to do with Europe!

Old May 31st, 2001, 10:43 PM
John

Okay, okay. Alaska Airlines doesn't have direct flights to Europe, although they do have service into Siberia during the summer, and sell through ticketing to Moscow, which is in Europe, last time I checked. I believe they've talked about an interchange service with Aeroflot allowing AS to fly their own equipment into Moscow, which certainly would be preferable to Aeroflot. I have seen air rage on Aeroflot, by the way, involving an Uzbek gentleman with a big knife hooting and waving his blade around the cabin because the plane's interior temperature was high enough to melt lead. The rest of us would have hooted, too, if we'd had enough energy.

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 08:33 AM
ahenry

Always amazes me how people who contribute to this forum quickly get off the subject. Does it matter whether it was Alaska or Continental? The point is, people who commit air rage are often NOT the passengers, and the hosts and hostesses differ greatly in quality, and interest in their job. People who hate people should not be in the "service" industry as a long flight on a plane has enough traumas without being verbally assaulted by the steward or stewardess. Please, folks, try to stick to the subject.

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 09:03 AM
Not a troll

The point may have been that if it doesn't involve Europe, we don't want to hear about reasons NOT to travel, or reasons to be apprehensive or think that bad things are going to happen, any more than necessary. <BR> <BR>A lot of us like to focus on how and why things are going to be great, that there WON'T be things that we can't overcome, and view this kind of post as anti-travel in general. <BR> <BR>Better to have the Rick Steves attitude that you CAN do this Europe travel thing, rather than add to some list of things that might ruin your trip. <BR>

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 09:17 AM
XXX

I'll bet there is more to this story than Phyllis is letting on. What is the attendant's version, I wonder. <BR> If your husband was in coach, you should have bought him a drink... whether it's petty or not, it's stealing.

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 09:39 AM
crook

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to accuse the original post of immoral behavior. That's what I like about this forum -- no suprises.

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 09:50 AM
amber

Wow. To XXX, maybe the airlines' rules are that you must pay for wine in coach, but a nicely stated comment to that effect would have sufficed. Sounds like the flight attendant took things too personally (i mean, Phillis wasn't drinking his personal cache of wine was he?). Perhaps this defensive reaction was due primarily to bad experiences he had with other passengers? But to me, sounds like he was having a bad day and wanted to take it out on someone. There's no excuse for unprovoked rudeness. Phillis, I would have taken names and raised a big stink about it afterwards. Don't know if it would have helped at all, but on the chance that the attendant got reprimanded, it might make him think twice about being a jerk to the next innocent passenger.

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 09:54 AM
Yep, we are

Most of the people here would like to know how to get an upgrade to business class without paying for it. You know, not stealing, just figuring out where to get the corporate largesse, if, heck, they're gonna give it away to SOMEbody, might as well be me! <BR> <BR>And you can guarantee that someone here will scream and shout about anyone who advises that you can ride the vaporettos without buying a ticket. <BR> <BR>And you can bet the farm that there will be backlashes about both kinds of posts. <BR>

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 10:09 AM
x

Huuuuuuuuuuh? How was the above post even remotely relevant?

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 10:11 AM
Not a crook

Relates to the posting by crook. <BR>

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 10:14 AM
s.fowler

I nominate this for best non-food title for a thread -- I was thinking flaming alaska...bananas foster. Don't ask why

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 10:31 AM
noname

Is flaming Alaska an oximoron.

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 10:55 AM
sourdough

There are lots of flaming morons in Alaska.

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 11:03 AM
Why?

I would just like to say WHO CARES if this post has nothing to do with Europe travel! At least it is travel related! There are so many posts on this board that have 50 or more replies to them that have Absolutely Nothing to do with TRAVEL at all! Dont post if you dont read them if you dont like it!

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 01:28 PM
Les

Notwithstanding the idiotic comments to the contrary, and the stewards reaction, XXX is correct; Phillis WAS dishonest. She should have offered to buy her husband a drink BEFORE she was caught. Those of you defending her actions are most likely people I could never develop a friendship with. <BR>Note that I am neither defending nor crticizing the way the steward handled this, so don't cloud your responses with that issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -