Search

Hotel Silvio

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2004, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel Silvio

I will be traveling to Lake Como in September. Has anyone stayed at Hotel Silvio in Bellagio?
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 09:03 AM

Hi gdterry,

At the top of this screen you'll find a "search" box. Put in "Silvio Bellagio" & you'll find plenty of comments.

Jim
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 09:11 AM

No, had thought about it, but did have a delightful dinner there.
We were going to walk to dinner, but were totally advised against it. It is a horrible walk from there into the town of Bellagio. You must walk along the busiest road in the area, there are no sidewalks, and at one point you walk through a sort of open "tunnel" where there is virtually just enough room for two cars to pass and they are doing so on an almost blind curve. In other words, I wouldn't want to be walking through there!
If you want to drive everywhere including into town, it would be a delightful place to stay.

By the way, I had been told to order the "spaghetti in tomato sauce" as a first course. How boring I thought, but did as I was told. When they brought the platter to split between the two of us the aroma from those fresh tomatoes and tons of fresh basil out of their garden nearly knocked me off my chair. How can plain spaghetti be so wonderful? The grilled lake fish following was wonderful as well. The family which runs the place was delightful.

We went by taxi and asked them to call us one when finished. The owner was going to take us back to town himself, but they had a rather large private party and he really couldn't leave. The taxi driver who took us there told us he couldn't pick us up as he was headed to Como to pick someone up. When Silvio's called a taxi they were calling this same guy who told them he was in Como. We waited 45 minutes or so to get another taxi. It would not be easy staying there without a car!
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 09:24 AM
DRJ

We stayed at Silvio three or four nights a couple of years ago. Air France had, of course, lost my luggage and the management grieved over the misfortune more than I did until its return. We had a room overlooking the lake that was comfortable enough. There are only a dozen or so rooms.

The proprietor hauls in his nets every morning for the evening's meal. It is a deservedly popular local dining spot.

My wife and I walked to the town center at least twice a day. Its a mile or so and is pretty much as described above. Italian drivers are very careful in urban situations and we never felt in any danger. I'd stay there again.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 09:48 AM

I stayed there last summer. It is actually not located in the "town" of Bellagio proper -- it's actually in the next village over. We had an absolutely amazing view from our room and a pleasant (though lacking in privacy) balcony to enjoy it from. As mentioned, the biggest drawback is that the main road is uncomfortably busy for pedestrians with drivers who actually seemed to take joy in nearly hitting you. If you stay there and don't mind walking, there are some nice (though circuitous and long) walking routes that you can take to get into town.

The biggest asset of Silvio is the restaurant there. We ate there twice and can't speak highly enough about the food, service and atmosphere. I'd never been a fan of lake fish until I tried this place (on that note, also the Hotel Florence right on the water in Bellagio has an excellent saffron risotto dish topped with sauteed lake perch -- highly recommended).

I would also add that the hotel does not have AC, which proved to be a problem last summer. We met another American on a lower floor whose room was unbearably hot, and apparently had no ceiling fan. We had a fan though, and were OK.

Old Feb 18th, 2004, 09:52 AM

"Its a mile or so and is pretty much as described above. Italian drivers are very careful in urban situations and we never felt in any danger."

Wow, DRJ, I've never before heard anyone say that Italian drivers are very careful in urban situations. I've gone bungey jumping in New Zealand and people think I'm a daredevil, but I felt safer doing that that I'd feel walking that road to Silvio's, especially at night. We saw cars flying through there, including one passing us on one of the blind curves.

During the day, you may or may not be able to walk along the lake to Bellagio, perhaps that's what Californiagirl was talking about. But at night they close the gates to the one villa along the lake so you can't walk through at night.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 04:39 PM

Just to clarify -- the circuitous route I was mentioning to walk to/from Silvio is not the one along the lakefront but rather the pathway through the vacant lot across the street from the hotel. There's actually a walking tour pamphlet from the Bellagio tourist office on the ferry landing --it's called something like "tour of neighboring villages" -- and it outlines the exact route.

As you can see from this post, staying at the Silvio is a bit of a pain for the pedestrian, but it can be workable if you're willing to hoof it.