AIX RESTAURANT??

Search

AIX RESTAURANT??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 07:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AIX RESTAURANT??

Staying at Villa Gallici in Aix next month...any restaurant suggestions in Aix that just knocked you out (and why...what to order?)...thank you in advance!
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 10:53 PM

We were there 2 years ago. I think the restaurant was called Poivre'd'An or such - Donkey pepper - Provencal cooking... (rated, small, very crowded) great food. Had the red mullet as main course.
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 06:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
The only special restaurant is a few doors down from Villa Gallici. "Le Clos de la Violette." This restaurant must be booked in advance. Dining under the stars is always special to me.I had a clam dish(palourdes)that was mixed with herbs, goat cheese. I think breakfast at the villa is supplied by the Clos.
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 08:17 AM

P.S. For people watching Les Deux Garcons on the Cours Mirabeau.
Buy some of Aix's famous calissons at the ancient "A La Reine Jeanne" also located on the Cours.
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 05:25 PM
sandi

Cigalchanta -

Guess we think in the same vein. Clos de la Violette was wonderful, but we didn't have the pleasure of the garden as we were there end October. And Deux Garcons on the Cours another delightful meal.

The Villa Gallici is a great choice, one year (believe in 2002) voted best small hotel in Europe. Very nice rooms, large and beautifully decorated.

An easy walk into Aix center ville.

Old Jul 24th, 2003, 06:18 PM

sandi, If you loved Aix read MFK Fisher's, "Two Towns in Provence" and, "The Boss Dog."
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 04:27 AM
sandi

Cigalechanta -

Thanks for the book references. Will check them out.

Old Jul 26th, 2003, 01:14 AM

The tres chic Chez Antoine serves fresh pasta and more in a little courtyard off the Cours Mirabeau.

Hotel Le Pigonnet has a gorgeous garden terrace for lunch or dinner in nice weather. Excellent food too.

Chez Jo is super for casual pizza/pasta.

Old Jul 26th, 2003, 03:04 AM

Hi fanelli,

I second the Chez Antoine pasta and their tiramisu. I also tried their kidneys in a wonderful creamy brown sauce - delicious. Chez Jo is also a good choice as is the restaurant next door (toward the Cours Mirabeau). I had their vegetable terrine for lunch and it was just perfect.

Another favorite is Chez Maxime which I've eaten at a couple of times and have a funny story to tell. A friend and I ordered lamb chops. We were chatting away, drinking our wine when my friend stops talking and looks up and over my left shoulder. I turn around to see what she's looking at and there's the portly chef with a round red face, eyes wide, and a big grin. He's carrying a huge leg of lamb and proceeds to explain that the meat we ordered was not seasoned - not quite ready to cook and serve - and would we prefer chops from the leg which was a better cut of meat and more expensive but we could have them for the same price as what we had ordered. That chef with the leg of lamb remains one of my fondest memories of Aix.

adrienne
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 06:05 AM

Lucky you! I hope you love the smell of lavendar. The major memory I have is the scent of lavendar oil at the hotel. It was wonderful. Agree with previous messages about Le Clos. And be sure to eat in the garden. It's a nice walk down the hill from the hotel. I had rabbit and it was wonderful!
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 07:12 AM

Ah, Aix...such a grand old city. The quintessential Provencal town, with it's narrow cobble stone streets and limestone buildings. From the Place Gal de Gaulle to the Cathedral St. Saviour, it was the haven we were looking for in our tour of France. Aix has the qualities of a large city without losing the charm of a hill town. There are countless cafes that offer exceptional dining at extremely reasonabli prices. One of our favorits was the Cafe L'Archeveche. Located adjacent to the Tapestry Museum, it featured outside dining (of course) under the trees. As you probably know, EVERYTHING closes from 12:00 - 2:00 (at least) for lunch, so arrive a little early to ensure a table (11:45 should due nicely), but keep in mind you'll not be able to order food until noon. Have no fear, you CAN order wine, and they do have nice wine. We had the "Domaine de la Lauzade 2000 Cote de Provance" a rose served ice cold. Crisp yet sweet, it was just the thing on a warm spring day. Our entrees were the Gnocci Parmesan in a light tomato sauce and a salad of fresh spring vegetables in 3 sauces. The gnocci was crisp on the outside and creamy on the inside. It melted in my mouth and danced with the wine, The vegetables were fresh from the garden. There were asparagus, and fennel, onion and olives. Sauted and served with pesto, butter-cream and red-pepper coulis sauces. Dessert was a chocolate mousse-like necter. Thinner than a typical mousse, rich almost dark chocolate, very smooth and creamy. It was truely the best meal we'd had in our 10 day trip in France and at a fraction of the cost. Bon Appetite!
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 12:48 AM

Mmmm, I'll have to try that gnocchi (however you spell it). I thought of another favorite -- La Rotunde. It's a new spot right at the rotunde (duh) with great food in a modern, chic setting. The foie gras, risotto and lobster are favorites. Clubby atmosphere later in the evening.
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 05:31 AM

I stayed at the Gallici last May and really enjoyed it. However, don't eat there! Dinner was terrible (and I loved the food everywhere else.) I simply could not eat my expensive meal. The continental breakfast was very expensive too. I think it was about $40 for bread, juice and coffee. After the first breakfast at the Gallici, we walked into town the following days, about 10 minutes, and had a better continental breakfast for a fraction of the cost at the Gallici. I don't mind paying for good food, we just didn't get it there. The room was charming with a view and we had the lowest priced room. The garden and pool area are lovely. I enjoyed staying there and would again, but it is a little more run down than it appears on the web site... more charming than luxury but I would definitely stay there again.
Have a great trip! WT