Airport to Madrid

Search

Airport to Madrid

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2005, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airport to Madrid

Is there a bus that goes from the Airport to the center of Madrid? There was a bus that went to Plaza Colon and it has been discountinued. What other reasonable choices are there?
Thanks .
Erica
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 10:58 AM

The Madrid metro serves the Madrid Airport - thus a cheap few-euro way in. Beware warnings about pickpockets/bag snatchers operating on the airport metro line - last time i was on it there was a heavy police presence on this metro itself - thus take notice! Madrid itself is, along with Barcelona, the worst city in Europe for pickpocketing and even muggings - my friend was mugged at 7am on a Sunday morning near Atocha station! She was lucky to not be hurt.
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 11:03 AM

I've read of this shuttle service:
http://www.gomadrid.com/aerocity/

PalQ - that is interesting and unfortunate, although it corresponds to what I've read elsewhere. I'm considering whether my daughter and I should use the metro or a shuttle. Obviously it would be a major setback to our trip to have a robbery (and for various reasons we will be making two roundtrips to the Madrid airport).
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 11:50 AM

We took the aerocity shuttle - pre-paid, it was safe and fine. I pre-booked on the web-site so I wouldn't have to deal w/transportation issues when we landed.
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 12:42 PM

Owlwoman,

Where do you meet the shuttle?

Thanks

Old Apr 14th, 2005, 12:49 PM

beware of the metro to airport/madrid. it is notorious" preying place" for these thieves.

just BEWARE. they usually push/brush against you after they have cleverly undone something and prepared the way for the theft.
then, working in groups of three or four, even if you "catch" one.. he has already passed the item to another and gets on the defensive raising a big scene.
p.s. they don't LOOK like thieves. well dressed. suitcases. etc.
very very clever.

valencia airport had employed 6 undercover policemen this month to try to deter the new wave of thieves. madrid must need a couple dozen.
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 02:06 PM

Airport metro to Madrid is roll on/roll off until you get into older city sections - there it is up and down flights of stairs to change lines - not pleasant if you are arriving with heavy bags.

Folks on the metro watched over our friends and us as we rode in - several pointing out potential thieves, warning our friend to keep her bag in front of her, etc. Spaniards really don't like the thieves!
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 03:12 PM

You can take a taxi from the Madrid airport to the center of Madrid for under 20 euros (15 euros to the H. Lope de Vega) and be there in under 20 minutes, in traffic. Just head for the front of the taxi line as you leave the airport. It couldn't be any simpler.
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 07:40 PM

We're going directly from the airport to Avila. Would it be best to take the bus or train? Is there a shuttle to either/both?

Thanks for any help.
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 07:45 PM

The metro from the airport is a newer part of the system and is very nice. As noted above, there is a heavy police presence. In the older sections, yes, its different - more crowded, up and down stairs, etc. My wife and I had no problems with theft in our entire 3 weeks in Spain last summer.
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 07:47 PM

If you're staying at one of the Best Westerns in central Madrid (Santo Domingo, Carlos V, Los Condes, Atlantico, Hotel Madrid etc etc), there's a shuttle bus that picks up hourly (or half-hourly - I can't remember) and it's 6 or 8 euro. If you're not staying at a Best Western, I suppose this won't help you much!
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 08:27 PM

I took the metro and an airport shuttle to Madrid at different times. The metro is convenient and very economic, but only if you don't have a lot of luggage to carry around (I did!). The prepaid shuttle was great: it pick me up where I was staying and dropped me right by my airline. I highly recommend it!
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 04:25 AM

When did they discontinue the bus from the airport to Plaza Colon? it was recommended in Maribel and in Frommer’s. I was just considering it last night.

Is there another bus service from the airport to a central area in Madrid?

Can you get tickets on the aeroshuttle when you arrive at the airport rather than booking ahead?

Thanks.
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 05:35 AM

Hi,
there is a bus ( nr 200 ) that goes from the airport to the Avenida de America bus and metro station.

http://www.ctm-madrid.es
http://www.aena.es

Depending where you are heading, it is not such a bad idea.

Rgds, Cova