Airport timetable

Sep 4th, 2003, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Airport timetable

We will be arriving to Heathrow at 6:30am. Anybody know how long it should take an average traveler to get through all the airport hassle and to a hotel in Lancaster Gate? I figured I'd be there around 8:30 am, but my someone else tells me 11:00am. Just trying to get an idea of time frames. Thanks everyone!!!
Sep 4th, 2003, 01:38 PM

I went in May, I pretty much walked very fast around all the people after I got off the plane so I arrived and got through customs before a lot of people got there. I took the Heathrow shuttle, which, from terminal 4 takes 30 minutes. I got to Paddington Station about 1 1/2 hours after we landed. That is a quick time though.
Sep 4th, 2003, 01:50 PM

It depends upon how many flights have landed at the same time as yours, where the flights have originated from and how many immigration lines are open. I've breezed through immigration lines in less than 15 minutes and also stood in them for almost 2 hours. Residents of the EU countries can breeze through a specific immigration line. However, everyone else just has to wait their turn.
Sep 4th, 2003, 02:06 PM

I'd say 9:30 at the very latest..even with lines at immigration and there really is no custom control if you go theru the Green Lane.The more people there are the faster the agents seem to move...now baggage might be another problem..though I've never had to wait more than 10 minutes. We've had several 6-6:30 arrivals and been at our hotel in South Ken..by 8:30..Taking train and taxi
Sep 4th, 2003, 02:18 PM

I take a car service from Heathrow to center -- which always seems to be just under one hour. And I don't think I've ever taken more than one hour from the time the plane landed until the time I was in the car. And yes, I check luggage. So I can't imagine it being more than about 2 hours from the time you land, unless there is a major glitch.
Sep 4th, 2003, 11:55 PM

Yes to all of the above.

Two weeks ago, I got from my plane to the Heathrow Express platform in 8 minutes. 22 minutes later I was at Paddington, and, had I wanted, could have walked to your hotel in a max of 10 mins. But no luggage, and an EU passport.

With luggage, a non-EU passport, a plane arriving at your terminal at the same time as many others (near certain at 6.30 at T3 or T4), up to 3 hours from plane at gate to Paddington is not unusual. Even if the plane's on time. And on a rainy day, I've waited 30 minutes for a cab at Paddington: Lancaster Gate might be 10 mins walk, but few want to walk it in the rain with heavy bags.

Plan for the best (carry-on only, gego premium class and get Fast Track if you've a non-EU passport, be unBritish in getting to the front of the queue). But don't build any plans on it happening.

Is it any different in New York?

Sep 5th, 2003, 04:38 AM

What passport you are travelling on will affect the speed you enter the UK. If you are not travelling on an EU or Swiss passport this will likely slow you down.