Airport taxes Athens

Jul 17th, 2010, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Airport taxes Athens

Can anyone tell me where to find details of the airport taxes which apply to a flight from Athens to Manchester (Non- stop).
We had to cut short our holiday and Easyjet contract to refund the airport taxes which attach to the unused portion of a flight. They are failing to reply to our emails and so I'm now trying to decide whether or not to sue them.
The flight we should have taken was on the 2nd June (I don't know whether the level of tax varies according to the date.)
With thanks
Jul 17th, 2010, 08:24 AM

Can't you call another airline that flies from Athens to Manchester and ask how much the taxes are? I doubt the taxes would be enough to sue for. I've always had the taxes itemized on my tickets but perhaps Easyjet doesn't do this.
Jul 17th, 2010, 09:18 AM
ira

Hi F,

According to BMI the taxes and fees are about 90E for a 2 stop flt from Athens to MAN.

Jul 17th, 2010, 09:53 AM

A similiar flight (ie: non-stop) in September shows the taxes as £21.14.
Jul 17th, 2010, 12:45 PM

€90 would be more than the total cost of an easyJet flight (if booked early), so I would tend to believe yiassas' figure as more accurate. EasyJet is entitled to deduct a service charge from any refund you are given, and that could be more than the refund itself.

See: http://www.easyjet.com/EN/Book/conditions.html
Jul 17th, 2010, 01:13 PM

Just a few days ago I read a BBC article about reclaiming the flight tax element. It advised that the administration fees charged were:

Ryanair: £17 per person
Flybe charges £25.
Virgin and BA charge up to £30.

and, believe it or not only Easyjet will refund the tax for free!

Here's the article:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10583101

bill
Jul 17th, 2010, 01:41 PM

Good reference, Bill! The problem seems to be getting a response to an email. Perhaps a registered letter to the address at the bottom of the Terms and Conditions page would do the trick.
Jul 17th, 2010, 03:07 PM

You are so right, Don.

I've been a very happy easyJet traveller but I have read many times that they seem to be very slow in responding to emails especially.

Your suggestion of a registered letter would be my choice!

bill
Jul 24th, 2010, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. I'm now sending a letter before action to Easyjet.
Oct 3rd, 2010, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

An update.
I sent a letter before action to Easyjet's registered office. After a lengthy period they emailed and said that they would refund the payment to the card used to book the flights. My husband's card had been cloned just before we flew to Greece so he responded to ask them to send it to his new account. They replied immediately saying that the email address was now different from that used to book. This was correct as we had changed provider. Easyjet wanted a response within 48 hours or it would be time-barred. Unfortunately we were away when this arrived and by the time we returned it had timed-out.
We lost the will to live at this stage and forgot about it.
Last week the payment arrived having been paid to my husband's old credit card and finally been diverted on.
Oct 3rd, 2010, 10:46 AM

Good news in the end! Airlines seem to find all sorts of ways to delay making refunds, but I'm happy for you it finally came through.