Search

Airline help

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2005, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airline help

I purchased round-trip airline tickets thru Expedia on line. We're flying to Milan, from Philadelphia, PA via British Airways. After purchasing I found that there is an 8 hour wait in London (LHR} before our flight departs for Milan. Extreme jetlag concern, any suggestions? Thanks
Old May 22nd, 2005, 08:34 PM

my suggestion would be to check your tickets again, even MORE carefully. BA sometimes books people on a flight to LHR, then there is an AIRPORT CHANGE in London and you fly to Milan from Gatwick. Hope that is not the case with you.

I think your purchase from Expedia should be changeable for 24 hours after you purchase.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 04:55 AM
P_M

I did a search on BA's web page and I am guessing you are on the flight that arrives LHR at 7:05am, then you're on the flight from LHR to MXP leaving at 3pm. There is another flight on BA that leaves LHR at 10:55am, perhaps you can change to that one. But if you are indeed stuck with this schedule and you don't have an airport change, then I would suggest going into either London or Windsor for the day. If you think you will be too tired to do that, then consider getting a day room near LHR.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 06:32 AM
MaureenB

Have you called Expedia's 800 number? They are quite helpful.

Old May 23rd, 2005, 08:23 AM

Expedia helpful, I DON'T THINK SO! i made a reservation once online, made a mistake, called them, they charged me even though i had just made the reservation minutes before. Be VERY careful when making online reservations, once you hit enter, it's all yours!
Old May 23rd, 2005, 09:18 AM

leS - on our HM in 2002 we had a layover like that in London due to plane schedule changes from 9/11.

We took the express train into Paddington and wandered around London. Can't say we saw much, and the ticket was $46(Pounds), but it was a great wy to pass the time! We had been told that for the equivelant of $80 we could have gotten a cab to take us on a tour of the city for a few hours, but we decided against it.

Sorry your tix have that schedule, but you can make the most of it! Trav
Old May 23rd, 2005, 11:11 AM
MaureenB

I beg to differ re: Expedia. I've talked with them several times and used them numerous times on-line, all with complete customer satisfaction. Yes, you need to be careful when purchasing anything on-line from anyone, but I know Expedia's policy is to change your hotel reservations with a $25 fee. Don't know about airline tickets, though, they are probably not able to change those. Still, I'd call them.

Old May 23rd, 2005, 11:30 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
It is worth a call to Expedia because other posters have said they give a "one time only" mistake forgiveness.

As you've found out the hard way... I feel one of the "dangers" of everyone starting to book their own flights and itinerary on the internet is people often don't pay close enough attention to things like departure times, airport layover times (too short or too long), multiple plane changes, and even airport changes.

Like joe mentions, sometimes BA lands you in Heathrow and takes you out of Gatwick on the cheapest ticket (which is the one that may come up first if you have "show the lowest price option" selected). Where a Heathrow Heathrow connection may cost only $25 more (for instance).

Old May 23rd, 2005, 11:51 AM

If you can change tickets, you might want to look at leaving from Newark. I'm booked on an Alitalia flight next month direct to Milan.