Search

Airhitch help

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 1999, 06:08 PM
Doug

Airhitch help

Reading these posts about Europe has made me so desperate to go to Europe this summer that I'm willing to do most anything to get there. I can't afford to take my whole family (4 of us) at the regular commercial rates so I've been reading about Airhitch. Has anyone used this service? You let them know what week you wish to go and from what region you'll be leaving from. About a week before departure, they tell you what airport you'll leave from and where in Europe you're going. I'm not crazy about having to possibly depart from either NYC, Philadelphia, Boston or Washington and not knowing which one will become available. I'd like to know how likely it is that I'd get a NYC or Philly flight. My luck, they'll put us on a flight out of Boston (4 hours away). Also, I'm a bit nervous about the return. Since I'll have to standby for that too, can I be assured I'll be returning to the same airport I left from? I'd hate to park my car at Newark and then return into Philly. When I'm ready to return from Europe, I understand I have to call Airhitch's office in Paris don't learn about my return. How much trouble is it to call them if I'm in someplace like Madrid or Berlin? And will I be returning from the same place I flew into? I need to know soon since my vacation starts July 22. Thanks.

Old Jul 11th, 1999, 05:06 AM
Don

Their northeast region also includes Toronto! Main competitor is a co. called Airtech (www.airtech.com) and they are offering roundtrips to about 8 different cities in Europe from Newark at $450 tax included this Summer. The "catch" is that they can only be confirmed within 10 days of departure. You may want to check into that. There is also a company called Interworld travel that is offering super cheap seats on the Virgin Atlantic daytime flight from JFK to London--like $350rt+tax. Do a web search for them as I don't know off the top. The Virgin ticket may also have a childrens' discount.

Old Jul 11th, 1999, 06:38 AM
Marty

Doug: <BR>Have you checked Expedia for lowest published prices? I just checked Raleigh/Durham to London (I don't know your airport), and the rate for Delta and several others was $408. I did not go into the details very much, but it would be worth checking. www.expedia.com and go down to "lowest published prices."

Old Jul 11th, 1999, 06:45 AM
Tricia

You may want to check out posts in www.eurotrip.com- cheap flight forum to read what people say about Airhitch and their trips to Europe while using them. Since you are flying in high season its harder to find fares that match their one way fares but in off season it can easily be done. Try www.skyauction.com and www.goinggoinggone.; www.thetravelsite.com (click on enter then click on bargains) check out the impulse fares - they have Citybird flying to London and MartinAir flying to Amsterdam. Their spring roundtrip fares to London were about $450- they will have summer fares posted now- hopefully they aren't much higher or try CityBird direct at www.citybird.com and try www.icelandair.com- subscribe tot heir Lucky Saaver fares. I can e mail you mine if you want. With Iceland air you get a free stopover in Iceland for 2 nights, beautiful sights and a chance to rest your weary body. <BR>Good luck.

Old Jul 11th, 1999, 06:49 AM
Tricia

Its www.expedia.msn.com (I think but I'll check it out and repost if its not) and yes they have low fares but its hard to find the low ones available, so be sure to check out the availability on Expedia. Also check out www.bestfares.com- they post specials and if you find a really good fare all 4 of you can fly on one $60 membership fee but try the airlines direct to see if you can get the "deal" without paying it; however they do have some members only fares that are really cheap.

Old Jul 11th, 1999, 07:22 AM
Tricia

Went into TISS and they show $398 on Virgin Atlantic from Newark to London , $433 on US Air and $452 on British Air for July/Aug. Paris is higher at $489. <BR>Bestbares has a members only fare with no advance purchase requirements from JFK to Paris for $408 and is perfect for your travel dates; Impulse Fares are at $470 RT. Citybird only leaves from Miami or Orlando and are $199 one way to London. The Delta deal looks good too!

Tricia

Went into TISS and they show $398 on Virgin Atlantic from Newark to London , $433 on US Air and $452 on British Air for July/Aug. Paris is higher at $489. <BR>Bestfares has a members only fare with no advance purchase requirements from JFK to Paris for $408 and is perfect for your travel dates; Impulse Fares are at $470 RT. Citybird only leaves from Miami or Orlando and are $199 one way to London. The Delta deal looks good too!

Tricia

Went into TISS and they show $398 on Virgin Atlantic from Newark to London , $433 on US Air and $452 on British Air for July/Aug. Paris is higher at $489. <BR>Bestfares has a members only fare with no advance purchase requirements from JFK to Paris for $408 and is perfect for your travel dates; Impulse Fares are at $470 RT. Citybird only leaves from Miami or Orlando and are $199 one way to London. The Delta deal looks good too!