Airfares to Paris June 2003

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 04:49 PM
Jen

Airfares to Paris June 2003

Well it's that time again, pick the best airfare time. If I take the plunge now, airfare from Tampa (tpa) to Paris (cdg in most searches) will be about $1181 (dates are 6/22/03-7/09/03). I have looked at expedia, economytravel, travelocity, orbitz, and the major airline websites. I tried tiss/flights.com but my internet connection gets hung up everytime I attempt that site. I've tried the same from Orlando (MCO) but the flight amounts are about the same.

So the question is - do I pay the $1181 or hold out for cheaper and at what point do you stop holding out - Feb? Advice, suggestions, past experiences as always appreciated. Negative posts not appreciated but expected.

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 05:19 PM
Sue

That seems high, altho you are going late in June into July. A few weeks ago USAirways had a good fare that went into early June; I got PIT-CDG for $466, incl. taxes. Maybe others will have some sense as to whether you should wait for something better.

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 05:20 PM
Jim Rosenberg

That is not a cheap time to travel at all, but I still think you will do better and even if you hold out until the end of March or early April, you're probably not going to do any worse. Is it just you, or are you talking multiple tix here? A couple of hundred apiece in savings becomes serious money when it is multiplied, as you know. Orlando would be a likely alternate airport to search for fares from and I believe you have the additional benefit of Icelandair setting the low fare pace from there. Good luck!

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 05:26 PM
Jen

Thanks for the replies so far. It is just me. I know it's not a great time to travel but I am in the education business and my dates are determined by the school calendar.

Keep that advice coming!

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 05:30 PM
Leslie

If you can get a cheap roundtrip flight to Washington, NYC or Boston, you might be able to get a cheap fare to Paris from any of those cities. Also check out flying into London and then flying from London to Paris.

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 05:39 PM
Donna

I wouldn't wait until March or April. The airlines are cutting back their schedules more and more. We went to Paris in June twice. Both times, I shopped like the dickens and booked in early February. The fares did NOT go down. There were some "fare sales", but not for our specific dates. You have a much better chance of getting flights at convenient times without too short/too long connecting times if you purchase your tickets early. I highly recommend trying to fly home after 1PM (you gain six hours on the return trip). That way, you don't have to go to bed early or pack your last night there. You'll have plenty of time to pack, enjoy a last leisurely breakfast and coffee at a cafe, before heading for the airport. And, the airport and lines are much less mobbed than before noon.

The suggestion to get yourselves to Boston, DC or JFK is excellent, in search of more reasnable fares. Be advised if you go to JFK (not sure about the others), you have to collect your bags, get yourselves to the international terminal and check in again, so allow plenty of time (at least 2 hours). There are shuttle buses.

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 06:17 PM
Leslie

Also check out fares from Newark, Pittsburgh and Philadelphia to Paris. Usually, there are very cheap flights from the Florida airports to the east during your time period, and the flights from the east coast to Paris are usually very reasonable, even in the summer.

Flying to NYC might be more difficult, as you most likely will have to fly into LGA, and then get yourself to JFK.

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 06:45 PM
xxx

This might sound like a pain to do but check the airfare EVERYDAY! The airlines may offer a seat sale without any notice so it's a matter of being at the right place at the right time. The worst that could happen is that your fare will stay around $1181. Try using the fare watcher feature on travelocity to alert you when prices decline but again, check every day. I would say $700 is reasonable for summer travel, so if you find a fare around that price then grab it. Good luck and Bon Voyage!

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 07:40 PM
Dan

You might get a better price if you buy a vacation package (air and hotel) from one of the airlines or tour companies. If you are going to need a hotel anyway, you can sometimes get a much better deal then if you try to purchase each separately.

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 07:50 PM
StCirq

Well, I may be in the minority, but I say wait until March or April. I travel to Paris every year in June and I have never failed to get the best price by waiting until mid-spring to book flights. The "last-minute" deals are great - I usually pay about $500-$600 per ticket, RT. There is no need to pay double that at this point, even considering airfare from Tampa will be more than I usually pay from DC.

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 07:52 PM
Maribel

Jen,
Yes, do check the airfares every single day.
In late Jan/early Feb. we usually buy our yearly summer tickets to Spain (I'm an educator as well), and for our dates (we're locked into mid-June to late July), I know too well that the fares on the non-stop US Air Philadelphia to Paris flight usually run around $1,000 at that time period, unless one is lucky enough to catch a brief fare sale (but with a small window of opportunity and only for certain dates, as Donna says). Use the fare alert/fare watcher service of Travelocity and Expedia, so that when the fare goes up or down by x$, you are notified by email, then pounce when you see that the fare has been lowered. Or work with a reputable consolidator to shave the price down a bit. And good luck!

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 08:33 PM
Marla

St Cirq neglects to mention how much it cost her last year (and everything's changed post 9/11/01) by waiting. You can find her own report of same by visiting the Francophile Forum at www.delphiforums.com (if you can stand all the bloody pop-ups). Suffice it to say, however, that she paid big bucks (not hardly that "$500-600") and was begging lesser folk for help.

No doubt, there will be fare sales, but there will not likely be seats on your dates. Fare sales are for the very few leftover seats at the most undesireable of times. Reality is, if you wait, you're far more likely to have to pay much more than much less.

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 08:39 PM
Travelman

Dear Jen
Try Hotwire.com.Flight on your
dates came up at $874 .
Next best thing is to score a cheap flight to London and train to Paris.
Good luck .
T

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 09:28 PM
Travelman

Jen.
Also try Travelzoo.com. for
upcoming deals.

T

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 04:27 AM
Gretchen

The idea of Hotwire or Priceline might be good since almost all trans-atlantic flights leave in the evening and arrive in the morning (thus no "late in the day" departures that you might encounter on a domestic Priceline bid).
For the NYC area if you decide to go that route do consider Newark instead of LGA or JFK. That is Continental's hub--good service.

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 04:36 AM
Mike

I got a great deal on Priceline to Ireland in late May. $450 round trip on Continental -- unfortunately you can't accumulate frequest flyer miles using Priceline.

Also check skyauction.com. Be careful not to overbid, but I've gotten great deals on their site. Newark to Paris thru Frankfurt for $425. They will be coming out next month with their spring and fall dates.

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 05:36 AM
lily

Is it worth the savings to fly to London then train to Paris? Best to stay a night in London then travel to Paris next day or are you then no further ahead in savings?

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 06:03 AM
Liz

I seem to recall that StCirq pays more too. A quick review of her posts on Delphi revealed that she paid $558 in Jan 01 for flights that April...

June 15 is when high season starts for air fares.

What others have paid in years past is completely irrelevant.

There may or may not be any fare sales and unless your dates are flexible you may not find seats.

When you want to fly on specific dates, it's best to book no later than three or four months ahead. If you take your chances waiting for a better fare, you may very well find there are no seats for your dates.

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 06:22 AM
jane

I have 6 tix MIA-CDG & back last 2 weeks in June. We have seniors, regular & children. Average $800. Got them through Air France several months ago. Delta much more $$ out of ATL. We live in No. FL & are fairly limited with airline choice.

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 06:37 AM
Beth

From Tampa, it might not work, but Icelandic gives great prices; get on their e:mail list. Of course, you have to land in Iceland for an hour and don't get into Paris until early afternoon rather than 7 a.m. or so. But, you go through passport check in Iceland and don't have to do it again in Paris. For anyone interested until the end of March, Icelandic is running under $200 per person roundtrip.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information