Airfare/Itinerary - Northern Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2006, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're planning a trip to Northern Italy in late May/early June. I want to spend 4 days in Venice, some time in the Dolomites, some time at Lake Como - and maybe a short time in Milan. I've been reading this forum about other possibilities (Verona leaps to mind) and there seem to be a lot of good options.

I've been tracking airfares for awhile, and thought I'd tie our itinerary to the best airfare I can find. Ideally, we'd fly into Venice and home from Milan. But it seems that round trip to Milan is considerably cheaper, which I find a little surprising. Any hints on best airfare if we can be flexible?

We wouldn't want a car in Venice, so we thought that starting there and then renting a car to drop off in Milan would work best. If we round trip from Milan, should we just consider a day or so in Milan and then a train to Venice, and then picking up a car?

When planning trips, I generally start with the airfare, rough in the itinerary, and start looking for hotels. Is that the best way to go here?

Thanks for your help,
Alice
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 12:16 PM
rex

topping...
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 12:36 PM

Alice: Have you considered using the rail system? It is extremely reliable, fast and I find it much more comfortable than a plane. If you fly into Milan, try taking the EuroStar which is the bullet train. It take you right into Venice or if you're planning to stay on mainland Venice (Maestri), it stops there just before as well. I have been all over Italy by train and find it the best mode of transportation. To find train schedules, go to www.trenitalia.com and you can also invest in a Eurail pass at www.raileurope.com
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 01:02 PM
ira

Hi A,

>...it seems that round trip to Milan is considerably cheaper,...<

I checked www.mobissimo.co (RT to Milan) and www.kayak.com (VCE/MIL) for May and the cheapest fare was into VCE/out of MXP for NYC.

If you do decide to fly RT to MIL, I suggest that you keep going on to Venice upon arrival.

Take the bus from MXP to Milan Centrale, train to Venice SL, check into your hotel, walk around a bit, have dinner, crash.

No jet lag in the morning.

At least, it works for us.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, guys - sounds like booking the round trip airfare to Milan and then taking the train to Venice may be the best way to go. We'll start checking that out. Alice