Air Passenger Duty

Search

Air Passenger Duty

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2010, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Passenger Duty

This duty (APD) has now shot up, thanks to the increase imposed by our previous incompetent government, and carried on by the current one.

However, as we fly LHR to MIA in November, I checked with Virgin to see if this new rate would apply to us. They said that it only applies to bookings made from 1st November. Then on BBC radio, I heard that it applies to when you fly, not when you booked.

Anyone know which is correct?
Old Oct 29th, 2010, 06:42 AM

As I understand it, you will have already been charged the new tax rate when you made the booking for travel after 1st Nov
Old Oct 29th, 2010, 07:30 AM

Good question - I was under the impression that if you havent paid the new rate when you booked, you will have to pay it before flying. How they do this I am unsure, so hopefully someone can shed some light.
Old Oct 29th, 2010, 07:51 AM

I'm sure I heard a radio interview today which said that if you'd already bought the tickets you'd already paid it, and there was no point rushing to buy tickets before the first, as it was implemented by flying date, not purchase date.
Old Oct 29th, 2010, 09:34 AM

Some airlines are paying the increase themselves for people who booked well in advance, so didn't know about the planned increase. Other have notified their passengers about the increase, giving them the choice to pay before going to the airport or on arrival at the airport.

For those who booked after the increase was announced, for dates after the increase is implemented the tax should already be included in the fare.

Maybe Virgin are eating the tax for those ho have already booked, though it seems unlikely they would do that for everyone who booked after the announcement of the increase in APD.
Old Oct 29th, 2010, 09:43 AM

I have never heard of tacking on a new fee after some has already bought and paid for a ticket. Are you saying that when I get to the airport in November, with my paid (and by the way non-refundable ticket) they are going to demand I give them more money before they let me on the plane? What if I refuse to pay it? Wouldn't they have to refund what I already paid (it's them not me imposing something new)? Seems like they could conceivably loose alot of money that way.
Old Oct 29th, 2010, 11:01 AM

Isabel, if you have bought a ticket, you will have agreed to the operator's conditions. I'm sure if you look at the small print, there will be something about additional charges outside the operator's control. The airlines are only collecting a tax on behalf of the government.
Old Oct 29th, 2010, 11:09 AM

Isabel, it is not the airline imposing it but the government in the UK. If you have to pay extra and they have your contact details they will normally contact you to tell you. But they are within their rights to ask for the money at the airport. It is nothing to do with them after all.
If you choose not to pay the extra duty they have the right to refuse you passage.
Depending one when you booked your tickets the chances are you have already paid the extra duty anyway.