Search

air india

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 01:04 PM
pj

air india

Non stop airfare to London from Ord on Air India. I am not familiar with this airline. Anyone know the service ect. PJ

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 01:22 PM
mpprh

Hi<BR><BR>its a while ago, but yes.<BR><BR>I used to buy cheap tickects on their London- Paris - Delhi flights.<BR><BR>I only went to Paris and back for weekends.<BR><BR>It was not good.<BR><BR>Dirty, always late, poor food, etc.<BR><BR>Peter<BR>

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 01:27 PM
StCirq

I flew Air India to London once. Scary. Nonexistent service, cruddy, smelly plane, Indian music (which I do like in fairly small doses) piped into my ear all night long...I did like the food, though.Once was more than enough.

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 02:09 PM
monica

I tend to agree with the previous comments.I have flown Air India many times to go to India. However,their fares are so cheap right now for London during the Summer,that I am almost thinking about flying with them myself. I personally don't think the food is that bad.(I like Indian food). The planes are old however, and their flights do often run late - so make sure if you are connecting to another flight you leave plenty of time. Also always check in early (at least 2 hrs before). Check is really bad, and they invariabky off-load people. Apart from that, it's great !!!!

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 02:23 PM
bocaraton

Air India has a continuing problem with rats in their aircraft. Enough said?

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 02:37 PM
John G

I have flown Air India twice. I didn't think it bad at all. When I told my mother, Linda, that I was flying this airline she almost fainted. She said the plane would fall into the Atlantic.<BR><BR>Yes, there are many Indian families with crying babies and people do take their shoes off, but I didn't mind that a bit. <BR><BR>The food was good in my opinion, but you have to like spicy curry. You can always arrange for kosher meals, however. (I had kosher meals flying home from Delhi because I became sick in Nepal and could only eat bland food.)<BR><BR>I thought the air hostesses were very nice and I had an empty seat next to me from Delhi to London (this is when the plane "filled up"). Many people not going to India seem to fly on Air India between JFK and Heathrow. I asked one man why he was flying to London on Air India and he said because it was "dirt cheap."<BR><BR>If you want a bargain, fly Air India to London. It is only 6 1/2 hours. I flew from JFK to Delhi (17 hours) and I lived. <BR><BR>Just close your eyes and think of Gucci.

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 05:17 PM
doug

I've been on that flight and went on to India. I like Indian food. Indian food does give the plane a certain lingering odor. Older 747.

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 06:44 PM
Homer

My favorite joke in the Simpsons was a poster at the airport:<BR><BR>"Air India: We Treat You Like Cattle"<BR><BR>showing a bovine in a seat being served champagne. A brillant play on the "cattle car" of airlines and the veneration of cows in India.

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 08:04 PM
pj

Thank you for all your input. Airfare from chicago is 540.00 nonstop to Heathrow. Well I like the price but the trade offs....Where can you find their safety record? I like curry can put up with people taking their shoes off!! But I want a good plane!! PJ

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 09:30 PM
Marc David Miller

Try <BR><BR>www.airdisaster.com<BR>

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 03:48 AM
doug

747s of any age are the safest thing flying. Yes the plane is a bit older. Air India wil be late and the plane will not be spotless, they may lose your luggage, but they will get you there. (alive)

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 05:36 AM
Gerry K

My experience with less-known airlines is that they are less reliable, and far more inclined to cancel flights than the bigger carriers. I've had flights cancelled with both Royal Air Morac and Air India recently, and had a hell of a time getting my money back. HOWEVER, I<BR>learned many months after the cancellations that both airlines had refunded my money to Travelocity, and that Travelocity had retained my money.<BR>(I will never book through them again.) In fact, Air India was wonderful about sending me proof that they had paid Travelocity. Still, their flights are frequently cancelled. (By the way, it took 12 months for the Royal Air Maroc refund and 7 months for the Air India refund. Travelocity be damned.)<BR><BR>GK

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 08:16 AM
pj

ttt

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 08:48 AM
Airline gal

Do not do it! They have a horrible safety record. I would pay a little more and go on a reputible airliner. Also Air India is infamous for cancelling flights on a whim.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 11:23 AM
pj

Thank you everyone!! Hoping there will be some good prices on a different airline! PJ

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 11:30 AM
Dan

PJ<BR><BR>When are you going?

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 11:37 AM
pj

We are going 6/24/02 to 7/01/02. Leaving chicago to London. PJ

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 11:53 AM
Dan

PJ<BR><BR>I just checked Orbitz and the fare was quite high. I checked flights.com and they have a fare of $576, although I don't know if that includes tax. On Lufthansa, which is decent. I haven't used flights.com, but some people here seem happy with them. Good luck.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 12:32 PM
John G

What liars some people are. If you have truely ever traveled on Air India, why don't some of you post VALID email addresses??????<BR><BR>Sitar music?? They don't play any "overhead" music on any airline I have ever traveled on, including Air India (and I have traveled all over the world). If you want to listen to music, you use earphones and have multiple channels to listen to. What a bunch of baloney Patec spouts. (I sure he would smell too if he was flying from Bombay to JFK for 20 hours and not had a shower.)<BR><BR>The last time I flew Air India, they showed Sandra Bullock in "Miss Congeniality" as one of the movies. Hardly 1960's b/w Indian "adventure" movie featuring people in turbans and sitar music playing in the background.<BR><BR>I checked the www.airdisaster.com website and the last time Air India had an "air disaster" was in 1985. Other airlines listed included KLM, Swiss Air, United (multiple times), Nortwest, Pan Am, and Delta. Yet, I don't see anyone saying, "Don't fly Delta, they have a terrible safety record."<BR><BR>Fly whatever airline you choose, but don't LIE about an airline you have never flown.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 12:43 PM
stereotyper

Dear Patec,<BR>is it true that on American Airlines, all flight attendants wear cowboy boots, are fat and they only serve hamburgers on board?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -