Air from Athens to Santorini

May 17th, 2006, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Air from Athens to Santorini

Could you please recommend websites/airlines where i can look for flights from Athens to Santorini? Thanks a lot!
May 17th, 2006, 07:06 AM

Olympic and Aegean are the carriers that fly that route. They both have websites.
May 17th, 2006, 05:36 PM

We flew Olympic Airlines to Santorini last summer and Aegean on the return.
Aegean is far superior - if the time
schedule works into your plans, suggest you book with that airline.
AKNIC
May 17th, 2006, 06:18 PM

Hi

AKNIC, why do you think Aegean is better? We flew Olympic from Santorini. 30 minute flight but 60 minutes to get our bags! Apart from that they were OK. Will be using them for Istanbul to Athens. Olympic seems to get alot of negative comments.
May 18th, 2006, 05:59 PM

Our Olympic flight was very late leaving Atens, everyone acted like this was business as usual. Fortunately our transportation to the Katikies was there when we arrived. The plane was very hot, several passengers became ill, I was about 5 minutes from having the same problem.
The plane was very cramped and the service was poor.
Aegean, on the other hand, was on time, the plane was a good size and clean, and the staff was some of the best I have ever flown with. Hate to compare on the basis of one trip, but Aegean has won many awards for their airline and I can see why.
Hope this helps.
AKNIC
May 18th, 2006, 06:47 PM

Thanks AKNIC. I'll try not to get nervous!
May 21st, 2006, 07:32 AM

We just returned from our 2 weeks in the Greek islands last night... so the experience of air transport to Santorini from Athens is current.
We used Agean and had no problems. Very comfortable, easy process all around. Good rates, on time etc. We carried on our luggage and had no problems.
A fellow traveler we met however had a horrible experience. He flew Olympic. The whole plane load of passengers on his flight did not get their luggage on arrival. Seems the flight was overweight and they shipped all the luggage via ferry later that night. He did not receive his luggage until late the next afternoon!!!
No staff at Olympic seemed sympathetic or provided any info. Perhaps it is business as usual for them?

We flew Olympic from Athens to London when we departed and had no problems. We checked our luggage for the return trip home, and all went well.

good luck!
May 21st, 2006, 03:24 PM

To Fishshe, Just wondering about the size of your carry-on luggage. We will be flying roundtrip Athens to Santorini on Agean and planning on only using carry-on that I really don't want out of my sight. Thanks
May 21st, 2006, 04:44 PM

European airlines limit the number of carry-ons and sizes are smaller than on US carriers. We carried on everything on our trans-Atlantic flights for 2 wks. in Greece both last year and this year, but when we flew (Aegean) to the islands we checked the roll-aboards and carried on smaller shoulder bags with "vitals". Never heard of anyone having a problem with Aegean getting their luggage there, but I'm sure it must happen, though. (Had a problem with Lufthansa in Germany last Dec. when they made about 20 people check their carry-ons at the gate for a commuter flight. We thought it was like a US gate check and you'd pick up the bags on the tarmac when you disembarked, but that was not the case. And they didn't send the bags, either.)

Regarding the difference between Olympic and Aegean, I gathered from something someone said on Rhodes last week that Olympic is (or was) gov't operated or in some way under the auspices of Greece. Aegean is a relatively new, privately run carrier. If this is true, it could explain a lot.
May 21st, 2006, 11:49 PM

Given a choice, it seems Aegean is the airline to choose. They don't fly to Paros, though, so I always go with Olympic. I have flown Olympic many times (two international and four domestic flights last year alone) and have never had a problem.

On my return to Athens last September, due to ferry connections, I wasn't able to get to the airport until about 30 minutes before takeoff. I phoned the day before and they agreed to hold my seat. When I arrived at the airport no one batted an eyelash, and the check-in went smoothly.

I just thought you would like to know that not all Olympic experiences are bad ones.
Jun 7th, 2006, 05:17 PM

We had to check our bags for the flight from Athens to Santorini. It is a small plane and no room for carry on. My previous experience with small planes was they check the bag as we board, and return them as you exit the plane.
However, Aegean did require checking them when we got our boarding pass.

We flew Olympic from Athens to Great Britain and it was just fine. We did carry on our bags. The flight was on time and very pleasant, no problems.

Jun 7th, 2006, 05:22 PM

I just flew Aegean (from Santorini to Athens and to Mykonos from Athens). THe flights went smoothly, and the price was certainly right if we booked ahead (19 euros plus taxes for a total of about 40 euros) for each flight. But you have to book months in advance to get that price. All things being equal, I'd probably choose Aegean over Olympic based on what i've read and heard.