Air France - Never Again

Search

Air France - Never Again

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2006, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air France - Never Again

There is a separate thread on Air France, but I feel strongly enough about this that I am compelled to post separately. I have never publicly complained about an airline (or hotel for that matter) before.

I will never, ever, ever, ever fly Air France again, and I have been an Air France customer for 25 years. Air France has deteriorated into an absolutely abysmal business model. Getting into details here would be tedious to all but the most easily amused. Let me just say this: They misplaced our luggage between LAX and Paris, pointed us to their policy that promised to reimburse my family for 100 Euro each to purchase basic necessities, and then refused to pay when we turned in the receipts.

When I disputed this, they cited an obscure technicality that was never communicated to us. I wrote respectful letters to the proper channels at Air France in an effort to get some redress. In return I received platitudes and utter indifference. It is clear that they are perfectly willing to lose me and my family as customers in perpetuity in order to save 395 Euro.

Other facts included in my letters to them:
- They failed to honor our pre-booked seat assignments on consecutive flights with no explanation
- They originally bumped my entire family from the flight in question due to overbooking and only put us back on the flight after an hour of haggling, although without our seat assignments.
- They put us through this even though I had booked the tickets nine months in advance, and we arrived at the airport two and a half hours prior to departure.
- During the entire process we were treated with contempt, as if we had done something wrong.
- The flight was late and this, combined with spending two hours at De Gaulle filling out paper work for the misplaced luggage, and the requirement to wait in our apartment the next day until the luggage arrived meant we lost an entire day of our vacation in Paris.

There’s more, but that's already more detail than I promised. In any event, Air France simply doesn’t care. This is how they reward their loyal customers. After 25 years of flying Air France exclusively to Europe, to them I am nothing more than a single entry in an airline actuarial table. I am dead to them. They have written me and my family off as not worth their time or interest. The feeling is mutual.
Old May 31st, 2006, 04:11 PM

I'd be interested in knowing the "obscure technicality" that they failed to point out and which kept them from paying you your 395 euro.
Old May 31st, 2006, 04:17 PM

Your experience has certainly convinced me!
Old May 31st, 2006, 04:24 PM

I really like Air France--there servce is far better than any American airline these days. Last week I flew Delta into to Brussels and AirFrance (Delta Code Share) back to the US from Copenhagen via Paris.

AirFrance still gives you eyecovers on transatlantic flights. The food is far better than Delta's and you get wine with your meal for no extra charge. I will continue to fly AirFrance.

Getting through all the passport control at CDG can be another matter though!
Old May 31st, 2006, 04:25 PM

there=their
Old May 31st, 2006, 05:23 PM

Try Conde Nast Traveler ombundsman. He seems very succesful in getting travel suppliers to pay up.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 05:13 AM

In the "for what it's worth" category, I pass along this experience from a friend who just returned from Italy this week:

He and his wife had purchased Business/First tickets on CO for IAH-CDG with connetions to VCE in business on AF. Bags checked in IAH through to VCE and tickets received with seat assignments on both legs. When they got to CDG, AF told them they had no reservations listed for flight to VCE, despite confirmation showing seat assignments. They blamed the mixup on CO but when pressed by my friend, agent couldn't give any details of what CO had supposedly done wrong. They were able to get on the flight, but were put in economy. Upon arrival in VCE, no bags. AF did give them voucher for $200 to purchase necessities. They haven't yet turned in receipts so don't know what AF will actually honor. They are supposedly also to get partial refund for ticket. One bag did show up the following day and the second bag arrived 2 days later. Needless to say, AF is not on their favorite list.

Old Jun 1st, 2006, 05:25 AM

We have used AF for many years.

The negatives:

-It does lose luggage
-CDG is very difficult to get a round in. In 2005 I missed my first flight in 50 years trying to get to Rome through there.

Positives:

-Food is better than Delta, though that does not say much.
-It has most flights to Paris.

This year we visited Amsterdam for the first time and found service on KLM excellent.

The herding and lack of room in coach on all airlines is a travesty. Some day an enterprising airline--JetBlue?- is going to offer decent space in coach and take away a tremendous amount of business from today's airlines.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 05:28 AM

Are you..or should I ask, WERE you, a member of their frequent flyer program (after 25 years of exclusive use I would hope so).

Unfortunately, your omission of that "technicality" doesn't help your case much..in fact, it raises significant suspicion that this is simply a rant for a rant's sake.

I am the FIRST to criticize any business for its poor service but I'd be a lot MORE convinced if you told us all the details...
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 05:38 AM

If the airlines were to do away with the lack of space that you complain about, Powell, you might end up having to pay so much that you can't afford to fly. Let them pack me in. I want my airfare to be dirt cheap. By the way, this is another reason I NEVER check baggage.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 07:17 AM
kr

Good luck with lost luggage on any airline, British lost my family's luggage and were absolutely pathetic through out the whole process.

All the airlines use the same website to track the lost luggage and couldnt care less about you when it happens.

Would I fly them again? Yes

So good luck, you will get that from any airline.

So in 25 years you had one bad experience or many with Air France?
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 07:34 AM

Another convincing argument to a) fly direct whenever possible & b) don't check luggage, if you can't carry it, you don't need it.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 07:39 AM

My last two experiences on AF:

1) In March, SFO to BCN through CDG goes without hitch. But return leg, BCN-CDG is delayed almost an hour because of some air traffic controller problem (not clear if this was at BCN or CDG).

As a result, I miss the CDG-SFO leg and they put me up at a hotel near the airport. The flight was still at the gate but they had stopped boarding. Lot of passengers are irate.

2) SFO-FLR flight, again through CDG both ways. Outbound flight no problems, arrive in FLR on time, no lost luggage.

On return, for some unfathomable reason, they board us late at the gate at FLR, even though the plane was ready at least 15 minutes before. As a result, plane lands about 30 minutes late at CDG.

But I run through CDG, even have time to get more Euros at an ATM, and make my flight. Plane takes off about 20 minutes later but arrives in SFO on time.

But I learn my checked bag was pulled because of the late flight to CDG and they deliver it to me at home the next evening.

Despite these experiences, I can't rule out AF for France, Italy or Spain because I'm a Delta Sky Miles member flying out of SFO and AF is the only direct flight to CDG. If I take Delta, there are going to be one or two stops before crossing the Atlantic.

AF fares seem competitive with other carriers, whether they're members of SkyTeam or not.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 07:51 AM

I've had my lugage lost and have only flown maybe 10 times my whole life!

We're going with the kids next month and are STILL only going to do carry-ons. You really only need so much stuff with you.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 08:00 AM

Last summer in June Mexicana lost our luggage on a return flight from Mexico. After having to stand in the airport until 3 in the morning to complete the paperwork and then filing countless more stacks of paperwork, our luggage showed up- IN SEPTEMBER! By that time I just wanted my cash- who needs outgrown summer clothes in the fall?
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 08:31 AM

We gave up on Air France YEARS AGO!

In April 2001 - they lost our luggage on our "look-see" trip to Cairo. Got it back 20 hours before we left to go back to Houston.

In June 2001 - they managed to get all 6 suitcases, 1 cooler, and 10 boxes to Cairo - but I'm now convinced that only happened because of a bomb threat on the plane that delayed the flight for 4 hours and made us claim all our luggage on a far tarmac before boarding.

In June 2002 - my husband's luggage didnt' arrive in Cairo when he did....came in 24 hours later and beat up.

In July 2002 - my luggage didn't come in with me and arrive 48 hours later.

That was the end our our relationship with Air France.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 08:45 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I'm sorry to hear of your disappointments. I will continue to fly AF however, because I really feel that your experience is typical of most airlines now. There's nothing in these posts that I haven't heard from customers of any other airline.

However, what you never here is this: AF went above and beyond the call of duty when I had to rush home to my grandmother's funeral. She died while I was away and they couldn't get me home on AF for three days. They refunded my money for over half of the cost of my "non-transferrable, non-refundable" ticket AND helped me find a flight home on British Airways (a non-code share competitor), even getting me upgraded to Business Class. This was after the previous year when they refunded me in full for another non-refundable ticket when I had to cancel a trip due to my father's stroke. No questions asked. That scores HUGE points in my book and for that, I'll continue to honor AF.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 08:49 AM

I had an extremely unpleasant experience with Air France in March. Due to the strikes in Paris, we missed our connection to the US. After much haggling and rude treatment, Air France gave us a hotel voucher for a hotel by Disneyland Paris, approximately 45 minutes from the airport, and drove us out there on a bus. Air France representatives at the airport told us that transportation back to the airport in the morning would also be provided. However, that transportation never arrived. About 50 people or so had to take taxis back to the airport, which was no small expense given the distance. Upon arriving at the airport, Air France refused to reimburse anyone for the taxis because all of us had "simply missed seeing the bus." 50 people didn't see a bus? This was not the only unpleasant experience I had with Air France on my trip. There was a general foul attitude among almost every Air France worker I encountered, as though I should be lucky they are talking to me instead of them being grateful for my business. I will never fly Air France again.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 09:01 AM

Im flying AF this summer..Great...I will carry on as much as I can.thnaks
I am in first class what can I do anything about the seats assignments?
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 09:30 AM

Don't forget that AF, like many European airlines, are pretty strict with carry-on weight, at least for those in coach. They do weigh them at check-in (though now with online check-in at many airports, I don't know how they'd enforce it now). So, carrying too much weight into the cabin may not be an option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -