Air Conditioning in Rental Car

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2013, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry - this is probably a really stupid question.

But if a rental car doesnt have air conditioning does that mean it doesnt have heat?
Old Aug 30th, 2013, 07:54 AM

The car will have a heating system even if it does not have AC.
Old Aug 30th, 2013, 07:57 AM

No - it will have heat, just like cars in the US.
Old Aug 30th, 2013, 09:40 AM

Just out of morbid curiosity, why were you thinking that it wouldn't?
Old Aug 30th, 2013, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Can you even purchase a car in the US without AC? I dont know - I have never even been out of the country other than a cruise. I am just paranoid I will do something wrong in my planning (like freeze everyone ha ha) -- so I would rather ask a dumb question than to be suprised. Thanks for entertaining my foolishness

Old Aug 30th, 2013, 09:53 AM

<i>Can you even purchase a car in the US without AC? </i>

Sure you can. You might have to wait for one but yes, you can indeed buy a car without A/C. That being said, they always come with heaters. Always.
Old Aug 30th, 2013, 09:56 AM

All cars have heat. And I have not seen a rental car without AC anytime in the past 15 years - unless perhaps you are renting the most minute model available. (And unless you are 1 or 2 petite people with only a carry-on each that will probably be very cramped.)
Old Aug 30th, 2013, 10:15 AM

All cars do have heat, and many have a/c. However sometimes you have to choose between keeping cool or moving forward, if the car has a small engine or is underpowered for the weight of the vehicle.
My old Ford Ka was like that - I could be cool, and drive at 50km/h, or turn off the a/c, open a window and drive at 120km/h.

A/c also increases petrol consumption.

Amiejamie - no such thing as a dumb question.

Have a good holiday.
Old Aug 30th, 2013, 10:17 AM

You're probably young and don't remember the days when AC was not standard in cars and you had to buy it as an option.

Don't worry - it's not a vacation unless something goes wrong that you can laugh about for years! And planning is every one's responsibility so if you've not accounted for something just look at someone in your party and ask why they didn't order it or realize it or account for it. And then laugh and go buy an ice cream or a drink! You'll be fine.
Old Aug 30th, 2013, 10:18 AM

<i>A/c also increases petrol consumption.</i>

True dat but if you're driving more than say 50kph and the choice is A/C or roll down the window, choosing the A/C is almost always the correct choice if you're interested in fuel economy. Because aerodynamics.
Old Aug 30th, 2013, 10:26 AM

<i>And I have not seen a rental car without AC anytime in the past 15 years -</i>

The Fiat 500 that I rented this summer in the UK had no AC.
Old Aug 30th, 2013, 10:29 AM

<<The Fiat 500 that I rented this summer in the UK had no AC.>>

That goes back to NYTrav's statement that "I have not seen a rental car without AC anytime in the past 15 years - <i>unless perhaps you are renting the most minute model available</I>." The Fiat 500 is tiny.
Old Aug 30th, 2013, 10:54 AM

If you are not used to driving on the left hand side of the road and intend to drive on narrow roads, I would not advise a car much larger than that. BTW, the Fiat held two 22" suitcases in its trunk.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/...57623094971409
Old Aug 30th, 2013, 05:12 PM

We always get a mid sized car - preferably a sporty model - since -

We are not tiny people - not heavy but tall and long legs (DH is 6'3")

We each have a real suitcase 26" or so and a carry on

We like to drive fast cars fast - where legal - and the tiny ones with 2 people and luggage are slow to wimpy

We rented a Mercedes C one year (my b was looking at buying one but the trip put the end to that) - even with just my SIL and I in it we had trouble reaching highway speed to meld (I was standing on the gas). Can only assume they use much smaller engines than in the US.
Old Sep 1st, 2013, 05:47 AM

We rented a car in Ireland last month and it did not have AC. It was a small Nissan and there was plenty of room for DH and I and our luggage and yet small enough to navigate the narrow roads (and I mean narrow!!) and find parking in busy places. One word of advice...rent an automatic if you are not accustomed to driving on the left hand side of the road, even if you drive a standard...shifting with the left hand caused DH some stress for the first couple days!!!
Old Sep 1st, 2013, 07:07 AM

I say - don't worry about asking dumb questions, that's what this board is all about - AND - don't stress about planning the perfect vacation. Something WILL go wrong, it just happens. It will still be a great trip.

My grandmother likes to say "Either you'll have a great time or you'll have a great story."
Old Sep 1st, 2013, 10:23 AM

There are still plenty of base model standard (rather than luxury) brands which don't come with A/C as standard. But automatic transmission is generally only available on the higher spec models, so if you rent an automatic you are more or less guaranteed A/C.
Old Sep 8th, 2013, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

HA! thanks guys. Yes we definately got an automatic. Im from New Orleans, LA -- ALL cars have AC here or we would die of a heat stroke!! I cant wait for the cooler weather!

Unplanned events make for interesting vacation stories - like the hot air balloon ride I took in Colorado and crash landed in the mountains and had to be rescued! Lol -- it was actually quite a lot of fun
Old Sep 8th, 2013, 09:11 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Amiejean - you haven't told us yet WHEN you're going to Ireland.
Old Sep 8th, 2013, 10:24 AM

"You're probably young and don't remember the days when AC was not standard in cars and you had to buy it as an option"

Some of us have had cars where heaters were an optional extra and I'm not yet 60.

Apart from a couple of weeks in June there has been little need for Aircon in recent years, heaters yes aircon no.

Car rental in Ireland is a bit of a minefield for the unprepared. Always book Direct with the rental company or a company with direct ties to a set rental provider. Allways get a Full detailed quote and know exactly what you are paying at the collection desk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -