Air Canada or British Air?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2003, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Flying Toronto to London. Price and times are about the same. Which would you pick? Is British Air usually on time? The only time I used them, all 4 of my flights were late.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 07:41 PM
MD

Air Canada is know for its customer service reputation (he said with a straight face). It's just not a good one. Think of an airline run by the Post Office. Think of "Fawlty Airlines" (sorry John Cleese).

Recently their personality, besides bankrupt, has become "schizoid". The have several alter-egos. It may say Zip or Tango, but it's still Air Canada. Their management arrogance managed to stave off a takeover/merger from a solvent backer using poison-pill tactics; then they took over the competition themselves and quickly spiralled into bankruptcy.

Perhaps when the emerge from bankruptcy protection, they will be better behaved and have more reasonable fares.

Did you try some alternatives like Air India?
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 12:23 AM
AllyPally

I second MD's thoughts. I have had the misfortune of using Air Canada between Montreal and London only twice. I will not do it any more. I ALWAYS fly BA. Their recent wildcat strike notwithstanding, they are simply a better airline. Better service, better aircraft. I have theories on why Air Canada's service is so bad but this is a view best not expressed on this forum!

How late were your flights, btw?

Old Aug 8th, 2003, 03:11 AM

I flew Vancouver to London on Air Canada. It was pretty grotty. Loos dirty, food poor and the film was 'Goldfinger' mmmm very up to date. Service non existant... British Air is much better bet for service, cleanliness and I peronally have never had a problem with delays.
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 04:41 AM

I booked a flight to Edmonton via Toronto through Air Canada for a Canadian Rockies trip this summer, but decided to postpone the trip due to all the problems in Canada (SARS, Mad Cow Disease, etc). They really gave me a hard time when I tried to use the ticket for a flight to Quebec City and I ended up paying $100 cancellation fee even though the ticket to Quebec City was alot cheaper than to Edmonton.
I'd stick with British Airways since they are not in bankruptcy....
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

I usually do fly Air Canada and my flights have been fine, but I am a little concerned about their future. I'll be away for several months and wouldn't want to be stuck with a useless return ticket.

The one time I used BA, my Canada-London flight was 3 hours late and the other 3 were about 1 hour late. We weren't told why. Weather was good. Still, I'm leaning toward BA for this trip.
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 05:13 AM

Are you flying Economy, Business or looking for something in-between?

If you're flying Business, AC is quite nice and the service is very good (although the food isn't as good as BA).

BA's flights are often late as they fly into and out of very crowded terminals, but I never found the delays to be particularly problematic.

AC is risky (not dangerous) these days when you fly Economy because their financial status means that, if something goes wrong (delays, weather, plane problems), they've got limited resources to fix it, and they'll focus on getting their business class passengers sorted out.

On the other hand, if you collect Aeroplan miles (and or BA miles), AC is a better deal because you get 100% status mileage even if you're flying on a discounted ticket. On BA, you'll only get 25% miles if you're flying on a discounted ticket, and you won't get any "tier points" (which are what counts towards elite status).

BA, on other hand, has a few of its own risks - namely very unhappy ground staff at Heathrow. They staged a wildcat strike a few weekends ago, and grounded about 80,000 passengers on one of the busiest weekends of the year. Apparently the airline reached an agreement with the union, so this shouldn't happen again in the near future (but, don't forget, a wildcat strike is a strike that hasn't been sanctioned by the union, ie the staff aren't allowing the union to control their behaviour). As you're not connecting in London, this doesn't seem like a big risk to me. At worst, you'd get delayed in London at the end of your trip, and this seems highly unlikely.

Back to cabin classes. I think AC Economy is a little roomier than BA Economy. However, BA also offers an intermediate class, called "Premium Economy", and I think it's a great deal. It is a lot more expensive than Economy (eg 50-75% more), but it's a LOT less expensive than Business (ie $6,000 a ticket). You get a somewhat wider seat (maybe 2-3&quot, lots more leg room (maybe 38" instead of 30&quot, a separate cabin (which is often half empty) with its own toilet, and slightly better entertainment options. The same food, no privileges on check-in, and no access to the lounge - but it's very comfortable.

Both airlines have nightmarish check-in line-ups for economy passengers. However, if you fly a lot on Air Canada and its partners, you might consider paying for the very expensive (but worth it) Diners Club Maple Leaf Card (annual fee about $375), which gets you lounge access and Executive Class check-in privileges, even when your plane ticket cost $50. (And of course, you get Aeroplan miles for Diners Club purchases.) I fly at least 4 times a year on AC economy tickets, and I think the Diners Club card is one of the best investments I made for reducing travel hassle.

If you can afford Premium Economy, fly BA. If you're going to fly Economy, I'd probably choose AC (especially if you can get yourself a Diners Club Maple Leaf card).
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 05:34 AM

Kate W summed it excellently.

One addition. However hard BA tries to make check-in on intercontinental flights a nightmare for most of us, it hasn't yet succeeded 100%.

For the moment, at least, check in at Paddington station on the westbound leg, and it's almost pleasant. Get rid of your bags (up to, I think, 2.5 hrs before take off), get your seat allocation and boarding card. Then make your way to the airport by whatever means you like (dun't have to be the world's most expensive train journey).

Then, on arrival at T4, look at the BA check-in lines, remember that feeling you really shouldn't be having is called schadenfreude and queue up for Security.

Doubtless that joyless Aussie running BA will take Paddington check in away soon. Use it while you can.
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 08:44 AM

I believe Paddington check-in was terminated July 31.