Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Air BnB or Hotel for trip to Paris and London for 10 days.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2024, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
My daughter and I are planning a 10 day trip to Paris and London in the middle of May. We are spending 5 days in each location. Two Questions: I am looking for advice as to whether we would be better off to rent an air bn'b in each place or book a room at a hotel? Short visit yes, but, we are wanting to take an overnight trip outside of the cities for hiking and touring in each location. If we rent an air bn'b we can keep our belongings there, if we are in a hotel, that presents a whole new plan. Of course we do have concerns for our safety and where the best location would be for renting an air bn'b in either one of these places. Thanks in advance for your advice.
Old Feb 24th, 2024, 12:36 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Makes no difference really -- If you are willing to 'eat' a night in a flat or apartment - you can just as easily 'eat' a night in a hotel. If you find a property you like in your price range, whether a rental or hotel - just book your 5 nights.

There are MANY good/central neighborhoods in both cities. What is you nightly budget?

But I do have a couple of questions -

1) have you been to either city before? and . . .

2) Does 'five days' in each city mean 4, 5, or 6 nights?? 4 nights = 3 full days, 5 nights will net you 4 full days, and 6 nights = 5-ish days.

In any case taking say a 1.5 day overnight trip will really cut down on your time in each city. Depending on where exactly you are considering, you can easily do out of town walks and sightseeing without staying overnight.
Old Feb 24th, 2024, 02:15 PM

We've rented over 80 houses/apts in France. And 4 in London. We much prefer Gites-de-France and VRBO. to AirBnB. Our closest friends had a horrible experience with AirBnB in Strasbourg during Christmas '21.

Once we had an extended stay in a hotel in Nice in the 1990s, and took a 2 night excursion "elsewhere". We returned to the hotel afterwards. We packed a small overnight bag on the excursion and the hotel happily stored our larger bags in their secure baggage room while we were gone. We did this once in Italy also.

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 24th, 2024, 02:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For the overnight trip away from the city, it shouldn't make any difference whether you book a hotel or airbnb. If it's a hotel, just tell the front desk when you will be back. You've paid for the room so leave the things you won't need on your overnight.

There is an enormous amount of things to see in London and Paris so you may find the overnight elsewhere doesn't make sense. You could do just a day trip to Windsor Castle and Versailles (as an example).

If you book an airbnb make sure its legal. You need the full postcode in London to check the address. Paris has something like a registration number for the property. To me, a hotel or apart-hotel is a better choice.
Old Feb 24th, 2024, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by KayF
. . . just tell the front desk when you will be back. . . .
I probably wouldn't even do that. Wouldn't necessarily want everyone to know I was out of the city. I'd leave the do not disturb sign hanging on the door
Old Feb 24th, 2024, 04:40 PM

From personal experience, I love to have a microwave and fridge for longer stays in cities, so that usually means a flat. You won't want to sit down and spend 2 hours twice a day in a restaurant. There are unbelievable choices in any neighborhood boulangerie, traiteur. or épicerie to take home and reheat. Same in London - especially in supermarkets.

I usually book a flat through Booking.com because they have good cancellation dates. There are also specific Paris apartment rental companies - which I have never used because they are more expensive and luxurious than my budget allows. I used AirBnB once for a last-minute rental, and it was fine.

Compare costs - I have found that renting a flat can be cheaper than a hotel stay. Plus, you'll get laundry facilities, which allows you to pack lighter.

I know you'll have a fabulous time whichever you choose.

Last edited by phyllisjeschke8914; Feb 24th, 2024 at 04:47 PM.
Old Feb 24th, 2024, 05:34 PM

I am going to Paris in October, and I have checked out both hotel and apartment options. I do not find the apartments any cheaper than a hotel room.
I would go for an aparthotel... like Citadines.
I am not a fan of renting an apartment from owners as a lot look like the someone has just made the bed and left. The cleanliness is also hit and miss.

Fo 5 days I would stick to a hotel. You do not need to worry about waiting for an owner to show up to give you the keys. Or check out the Citadines option.
Old Feb 24th, 2024, 07:02 PM

I like a city hotel, because it feels friendlier. Also, somebody to ask questions big and small. Also, don't have to feel guilty about contributing to short-term rentals taking over, driving real estate prices crazy high and residents father from the center.
Old Feb 25th, 2024, 08:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Residence hotels in London have mini kitchens (microwave, fridge, sink, cutlery and dishes) in nice hotel rooms. Before the pandemic we stayed in one and it was just right. It was two blocks from the Earls Court tube station, which has direct connection to Heathrow and great connections to the rest of the underground.
Old Feb 25th, 2024, 09:02 AM

We never book apartments for stays of less than a week; we've happily spent 12 days in a hotel. You have 10 days for two destinations and travel -- IMO, a hotel would serve you better than an apartment. Most hotel rooms these days come with a small fridge (unless you are going realllly basic). With a hotel, if there are any problems, the staff are right there to address them or, if necessary, help you move to another room. Problems with an apartment are likely to be more difficult (or at least take longer) to resolve. If you really want more than a hotel room, go with an aparthotel, like the Citadines mentioned above for Paris and something similar for London. Not AirBnB, VRBO or other apartment agency. And FWIW, after residing in Europe for nearly 25 years, we can assure you that spending a handful of nights in someone else's apartment is not at all "living like a local". This is not a dig against renting apartments for longer term -- we rented a ParisPerfect apartment a few years back for a four-week stay. Did the same for multi-week stays in Dresden.

Also IMO, you should jettison the idea of jamming any additional overnight trips into your stay. From Paris, there are loads of places that you could make a long day trip to, going in whichever direction you choose. Examples: Strasbourg, Rambouillet, Nancy, Metz, Angers, even Bruges if you want to make it a long day and then sleep in the next morning. From London, think Oxford, Canterbury, Salisbury, Windsor/Eton etc. Leave early in the morning, come back as late as you can that same day and skip the palaver and expense of packing and checking in and out of a hotel. When living in England, I made dozens of day trips to Paris and saw roughly as much as I would have if I had stayed over for just one night.
Old Feb 25th, 2024, 11:07 AM
mjs

What is your budget? I agree that it makes no difference hotel vs apartment for planning an away trip. I also agree that if you have never been to London or Paris that you have plenty to do without leaving either city. Am also in agreement that a day trip in most cases can be done without staying a night elsewhere. Do you actually have 5 full days in each city? I have stayed at multiple places in both London and Paris including several Citadines. The Citadines are basic, IKEA like but clean and have a lot more room than most hotels in London and Paris. They has have washers and dryers in the building and 24 hour front desks. The St Germain in Paris is a good location and Traflager S
Old Feb 25th, 2024, 11:09 AM
mjs

Traflager sq, Holborn and Kensington locations are good for London. Might check reviews on booking.com as they are nicest when renovated within a reasonable time like most hotels.
Sorry to put this in two parts but the first posted before I was ready
Old Feb 25th, 2024, 01:41 PM

mjs: I agree re Citadines and have used them a few times but not sure how long ago you stayed in one in London. They have become quite pricey -- of course we don't yet know the OP's budget so that may be OK. I was shocked the last time I stayed in the Holborn Citadines in Dec '21. I just checked for a random 5 night stay in May and its has increased a lot in the last 2 years. The studios are running from $437/night non-refundable to over $500 per night refundable and the 1-bdrms are $630/night! The days of Citadine being a bargain option, at least in London, are long gone . . .
Old Feb 25th, 2024, 02:14 PM
mjs

I think the last time I stayed at a Citadines in London was 2019 and the Holborn Citadines was something like $180 for a studio. I checked it for my London trip in 2022 and it was up to $300 so we stayed elsewhere. On the other hand the St German Citadines Citadines in 2021 had prices that were similar to those in the past. Shocked the Holborn location has gone up that much. Wonder if it also includes other London Citadines ?
Old Feb 25th, 2024, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by mjs
I think the last time I stayed at a Citadines in London was 2019 and the Holborn Citadines was something like $180 for a studio. I checked it for my London trip in 2022 and it was up to $300 so we stayed elsewhere. On the other hand the St German Citadines Citadines in 2021 had prices that were similar to those in the past. Shocked the Holborn location has gone up that much. Wonder if it also includes other London Citadines ?

Rates are very date dependent so different dates might be lower?? -- I dummy booked a Thurs through Monday May stay avoiding the two Bank Holiday weekends to get a general idea.