Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Recommended Air BnB Somewhere Between Columbus and Cleveland?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2015, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I'm driving from Cleveland, TN to Oakville, Ontario, Canada...leaving June 2 and arriving June 3. I'd like to stay overnight somewhere about half way, probably between Columbus and Cleveland, Ohio. I've never stayed at an Air BnB accommodation but am interested in checking it out. I'd like to find something under $50 and somewhere along Interstate 71. If anyone knows of a good Air BnB in this part of the country, I'd appreciate the information! Thanks!
Old Apr 23rd, 2015, 06:34 PM

No help here, just curious as to why you want to check it out? All of the airbnb discussion I've seen has been destination oriented (accommodations in large cities) rather than overnight pit stops. I know very little about air bnb (other than it's illegal in nyc) so just wondering
Old Apr 23rd, 2015, 06:38 PM

Samare, I occasionally fly into Ohio to either visit family in the Akron-Cleveland (Ohio) area, or for business normally in the Mansfield area. In either case, Columbus is my preferred airport.

This means that even if Cleveland (Ohio) airport is closer to my final destination, then Columbus is still - easier/quicker/cheaper than Cleveland.

So, that being said, my point is that the distance between Columbus and Cleveland (Ohio - not your TN starting point) is not too significant - maybe a few hours at most. Consider the distance from your point of origin and decide.

My suggestion is Mansfield. That is approximately halfway, with some extra allowance for the traffic you will likely encounter the next day as you travel through Cleveland, Oh, and on to your final destination. Normally I have stayed at the Hampton Inn there when on business, but there are other choices.
Old Apr 23rd, 2015, 06:40 PM

To add to marvelousmous's comments - this is not an area for Air BnB. Not really sure why you would want that for a single night anyway. If you want, try Priceline.
Old Apr 24th, 2015, 03:54 AM
Original Poster

I don't find information anywhere that Air bnb is not normally used for one night. I did read the posts about the illegality of them in nyc but read a lot of good reviews from people who've stayed in them everywhere else.
Old Apr 24th, 2015, 06:33 AM

I've been looking at some airbnb properties for a possible trip next fall, and with the cleaning fees and service fees added on to the per night cost, I think you will likely end up over $50, assuming you can find one at all--just my opinion though.
Old Apr 24th, 2015, 07:06 AM
cd

I agree with the above post. I think you will have a hard time finding a room with a bath in a good neighborhood for that price. YOur best bet for that price range (and after taxes it will probably be more) would be to stop at the Visitor Center once you drive into Ohio and pick up their coupon books. You will be able to choose a hotel/motel for close to your price along 71.
Old Apr 24th, 2015, 07:47 AM

Air BN B is great for one night, especially the kind actually in people's homes, like an old fashioned B and B before they got trendy.
Old Apr 24th, 2015, 09:51 AM

So if you go onto the AirBNB site, you will see a number of rooms available in the general Mansfield area close to I-71. It looks like the lowest price is $55 plus a $7 fee. A bit more than $50, but perhaps what you are looking for?
Old Apr 24th, 2015, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

musicfan, I've seen the added charges but still $50 + even $10 for fees is a lot better than $100-120 for a decent motel/hotel. Thank you, jubilada, I agree. sludick, thanks for your information and input. I'm going to look in the Mansfield area. I'll let you all know what I've found. And if anyone else knows of a particular GOOD Air bnb near Mansfield, please let me know.
Old Apr 24th, 2015, 12:26 PM
cd

Samare, you seem set on getting an AirB&B but if you pick up a coupon book at a Visitor Center right off the Highway you can get a decent hotel/motel for $40-50 not $100-120