Agriturismo and Pools

Jan 31st, 2006, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

Agriturismo and Pools

My fiance and I are trying to decide between a few different agriturismos in Tuscany. We will be going in June (17th - 24th). We are trying to decide how important a pool would be at that time of year. We have narrowed it down to a few choices, some with pools, some without. The places with no pool seem to make up for that fact with great reviews about the whole experience, the family, and the activities.

Those who have been at or around that time of year, what has been your experience? Have you used the pool frequently if you had one? If you didn't have one, did you miss not having it?

Thanks,
Sean
Jan 31st, 2006, 03:19 PM

I've stayed just at two different agriturismi (did I pluralize this correctly? Don't speak very much Italian), one in Tuscany in early June and one in Umbria in late May.

The Tuscan/June location (Podere Torre near Greve, Chianti) did not have a pool. We had beautiful but cool-ish weather and so would not have used a pool anyway.

The Umbria/late May location (Le Case Gialle near Bevagna) had a unheated pool that we used often. It was "refreshing" (cold for me, but everyone else was happy!) and our weather was warm enough to enjoy hanging out around it on occasion.

Personally, things like location, atmosphere and views are more important than a pool for me, but the two swimmers in our group were very happy to have a swim most afternoons. Kind of depends on your vision of your trip and your priorities, I'd say...
Jan 31st, 2006, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

thanks annabelle2
good advice
Feb 1st, 2006, 06:37 PM

seanandjill:

The Mulino di Quercegrossa (spelling?)located about 10 miles east of Siena on the S222 sounded great when written up by maitaitom on his last visit to Tuscany. The rooms were nice, the pools (yes, plural) were fantastic and the restaurant on the premises was excellent.

The website is:

http://www.agriturismo.regione.tosca...arch2?code=730

Check it out. It may be ideal for what you're doing.
Feb 13th, 2006, 07:53 PM

Depends on what kind of trip it is. If you plan serious sight-seeing during the day and a cool off in the pool when you get back, June might not be warm enough and the days will still be a bit short. If you plan to stay all day at your agriturismo, a midday plunge would be just the ticket. There are fireflies on June evenings, by the way. Yet another reason to stay in the country. There's useful info at www.greve-in-chianti.com on other Tuscan wildlife.
Feb 14th, 2006, 12:37 AM

we roasted in umbria and rome last june, mid month. fortunately there was a poolin umbria.

with so little air conditioning i would relish a pool to cool off in the evening in CASE it gets hot and beastly again like last year.
Feb 14th, 2006, 02:23 AM

first of all an agriturismo is the only way to go in tuscany so you are on the right track.

many do have pools so if it is important to you, you should have no problem finding one that is also well regarded.

for me, i always plan to swim but rarely do. in june, the water will still be cold unless it is heated. that said, the rare times i did swim/relax by the pool in places like tuscany have been a great way to end a day of sightseeing and i still have great memories of these times.

in short, i would not miss it if it weren't there but if it were there and if i had time to use it, i'm sure i would enjoy it. a pool or not would not factor very highly in my decision.