agriturismo

Old Jun 29th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
agriturismo

Can you recommend a good place in Tuscany for about $65-90 a double room a night? speaking of double beds, any anyone broken the code on how wide an Italian "double' bed is? Who rents a economic automatic {rhyme?} station wagon in Italy? I owned a Fiat Spyder 35 years ago, and I don't fancy relearning how to blow up an Italian manual transmisson on state highway 222.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 08:40 PM

Every "letto matriamoniale" I've booked in Italy has been at least as wide as two twin beds combined (and sometimes, that is exactly what it is). They are certainly wider than either the standard Ameican "double" (or full) bed or what is generally offered in France or rural Britain as a "double."

I customarily rent automatics abroad, and have done so through Europcar, Autoeurope and Hertz. Avis rents them too. However, unless you can catch a sale, renting an automatic will generally run you 80e per day, insurance inclusive.

Tuscany has a variety of areas. Where do you want to go in Tuscany? What do you want to see above all?

Old Jul 1st, 2006, 09:03 AM

Tuscany is a large and diverse region. If you are interested in the Province of Florence, and particularly the Chianti Classico wine zone between Florence and Siena, then there are several places within your price range listed on www.greve-in-chianti.com (plus a plethora of other useful information about the area). Double beds in the agriturismi are large.
Old Jul 1st, 2006, 09:07 AM

Usually the size says 140 and often it is two twin beds pushed together.
Old Jul 1st, 2006, 10:33 AM

Dusty Trai1s,
Try La Crociona http://lacrociona.com/ in southern Tuscany. For other areas look at Slow Trav http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/vr/reviews.asp
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your reply.
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 07:09 AM

Check out www.tuscany.net for a wide variety of accomdations. The farmhouse we stayed at had an actual double bed, but was not in your price range. I would ask when reserving. You will pay more for the automatic - and if you can afford it maybe get something with a little more horsepower which will come in handy when driving up hills. We rented a manual Lancia Ypsilon & although very economic there were times we thought we were going to roll backward! Have fun!