Search

Agritourismo

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agritourismo

Does anyone have any tips or recommendations on staying at an agritourismo in Tuscany or Umbria? Thanks.
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 06:03 PM

We won't be there until next May, but we are staying at
http://www.laroccaorvieto.com/index_eng.html

this is near Orvieto, on the very southern border of Tuscany, only about an hour by train from Rome.

Charnee
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 06:31 PM

We spent five days at La Sovana:
http://www.lasovana.com/

It's near Sarteano, about 2-3 km from the Chiusi exit on A1. With that as our base, we made day trips to Siena, Pienza, Arezzo and Assisi.

The surroundings are gorgeous, and the food is terrific. The rooms are adequate. That's not meant as faint praise. I'm just trying to be accurate.

We would go there again.

Old Nov 26th, 2007, 07:25 PM

What, exactly, IS agritourismo? I think I have a good idea of what it is but would appreciate a definition.
Ive been looking for an affordable culinary vacation in Italy and cant find one under $4,500USD per person LAND ONLY!!!! Ideally I would like to stay in a family-owned farmhouse, I dont need a 5* luxury chateau. This place looks beautiful!
Old Nov 26th, 2007, 08:09 PM

This will tell you what you need to know:

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/planni...mmodations.htm
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 02:27 PM

I used this website when researching agriturismi earlier this year:

http://www.agriturismo.it/enindex.asp

Good luck!
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 03:39 AM

Monterrigione: fattoria gavina da sopra :
building on an organic farm in San Columba, about 10 miles/20 minute drive north of Siena and like drive from the midieval walled town of Monteriggini. look for the online website. It is about 1 1/2 miles off of the main road that goes thru tiny Monteriggioni: Fattoria Gavina di Sopra: "Delightful agriturismo/b&b"
We had a 4-day early April 2004 stay at this delightful 6-room agriturismo in a 15thc San Columba, just outside of Monteriggione. We had a comfortable room with a Q bed, private bathroom, pleasantly furnished, quiet, enjoyed the quivalent of 5*,5-course meals with homemade apertifs, wine and farm fresh vegetables and veal and chicken prepared by the owner's wife who donned chef's attire. Brakfeast and dinner, family style at table that can seat 4-6 in a vaulted ceiling room with ancient fireplace, was included in our 110E rate, a great value. For warmer weather (fans but no ac in the rooms) there is a small pool, bocce court, and beach chairs and table to enjoy the plein air and countryside. This agriturismo was an excellent base for exploring nearby Chianti wineries such as Fonterotuli (free but reservation needed) in Castellina, as well as Greve, and Radda, Siena and its Duomo, Baptistry and Ospedale frescoes and 5 downstairs floors of archeolgy and artifacts, a nice 2 hour drive thru theCrete to the 15th c Abbey @ Mt Oliveto in Asciano, and beyond to Montepulciano, Vicenza,and Pienza in the Val D'Orcia, and an easy 1 hr drive to the old walled cities of San Gmignano and Volterra. In short, an interesting central Tuscany location for a pleasant stay. See my other reviews on this Tuscany trip for Affitacamere di Giovanni Capellini in Manarola, Cinque Terre, Hotel Piccolo Puccini in Lucca, and Antica Torre di Tornabuoni in Florence under my artnuvo tripadvisor reviews.
Old Jul 5th, 2010, 08:36 PM

maybe an agritourismo would work for our trip to Italy next year - thanks for the info
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 05:07 AM

We are staying outside of Greve in Chianti in September - http://www.vignamaggio.it/index-english.html