Afternoon in Ephesus?

Search

Afternoon in Ephesus?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2008, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Afternoon in Ephesus?

Hi. I'm trying to figure out if a day trip to Ephesus is worth the trouble. My husband I won't be able to get to Ephesus until early afternoon and we'd only be there that one day. Is this the worst time to go in terms of tour groups showing up? Also, how late are the ruins "open"? Could we go later, after the crowds leave?
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 09:29 AM

Not sure of the hours of operation but one afternoon should be enuf time to see the ruins unless you are very slow walkers.
Yes, Ephesus is certainly worth the visit. Ruins in much better condition than Perge
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 10:21 AM

Even on the hottest and most crowded day, anytime in Ephesus is worth it, IMHO.

Most of the tour groups appear to arrive relatively early. Be certain to have broad brimmed hats and sunscreen, as well as a supply of water. Water is available for purchase at the entrance at an exorbitant price.

If you search this board and the cruise board, you should be able to find a guide to improve the short experience in Ephesus.
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 12:12 AM

Summertime some musuems are open later than usual. Last entry like 6 pm. But worth checking.

It would be one of the best ancient site you can visit in the planet. So try to catch up with it. Include terrace houses if you can.

Jeff801; just curious; what is exorbitant price that you paid for a bottle of water?

Happy travelling,
Murat
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 07:52 AM

Murat,

I didn't pay the 3 Euros that was being asked for 1/2 liter of bottled water. I had been forewarned by someone else on this board.

Jeff
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 03:27 PM

Jeff,
I just returned from Ephesus, I paid 1 Euro for water at the entrance, well worth it, I wish I had bought more.
Old Jun 30th, 2008, 05:03 PM

I just visited Ephesus in May and it is quite worthwhile. However, it was quite hot already in May and full of tourists from tour boats. I was there in the morning, so perhaps it's better in the afternoon. 3-4 hours should be plenty of time. Don't miss the terrace houses - the shelter around them is hideous, but inside it is just amazing. And much more peaceful than the rest of the site. Yes, bring plenty of water, but keep in mind the only restrooms are at the entrance and exit.