Afternoon in Barcelona

Search

Afternoon in Barcelona

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2003, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Afternoon in Barcelona

I have an afternoon to myself in Barcelona. I'd like to visit the Museum of Contemporary Art, which is near Placa Catalunya, then the Picasso Museum, off Princessa. Is the distance between the two walkable? My guidebook seems to indicate that it would be an interesting walk, but it's difficult to determine the distance between the two museums.<BR><BR>Also, I would appreciate any recommendations in the area for tapas. Are there places where you can eat at the bar? Since I'll be by myself, that would seem to be the best option.<BR><BR>KenCT &lt;[email protected]&gt;
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 05:50 AM

You can definitely walk, it is not far, but time might be a factor for you, if you want to do both and eat tapas in an afternoon! suggest taking a taxi maybe to one. Las Ramblas is the main street (awesome) with lots of tapas bars, ask the price first, as ours came to 50 euros for two...but then they were pretty fancy...enjoy!
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 01:45 PM

i'd take a taxi up that hill to visit the museum of contemporary art and miro museum nearby and gardens next door to miro museum overlooking the city. then take a taxi back to the ramblas and walk around. <BR><BR>picasso museum is not that great from what i hear. better to check out gaudi's apartment or cathedral near ramblas. or medieval area near ramblas.<BR><BR>have a great trip!!
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 01:50 PM

Tried several times to post this, one last time. Barcelona is my favorite city. Visited many times, my daughter lived there for a year on a Fullbright scholarship. <BR>Go to the Picasso. While the exhibit isn't that great, the building that houses the Picasso is wonderful. Also, the area around the museum is in the Barri Gotic and is great to see.<BR>My favorite Tapas place in all of Barcelona is Cal Pep. Very crowded bar, but great food and great experience. Hard to find but worth the effort. Enjoy Barcelona, and visit as much of the Gaudi as you can.
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, folks. For a while there, I thought my posting had disappeared with no input from anyone. Glad to have someone confirm that the distance between the two museums is walkable. My hotel, the Ambassador, purports to be a five minute walk from MACBA, so my plan is to visit that first then walk to the Picasso, then stop for tapas on my way back. No way I'm going to skip the Picasso. I've seen many of his works, have visited the musuem in Paris several times, and will see the Matisse-Picasso in New York. So that is definitely a must.<BR><BR>Nanc - I'll be getting to the St. Eulalia Cathedral and the Gothic Quarter the following day when I join my group, but thanks for drawing my attention to the Miro Foundation. Have to figure out a way to work that in at some point. <BR><BR>Hello Dali - Someone posted that the problem with posting seems to occur when you spend a lot of time working on a message. Try composing on your notepad, then cutting and pasting it into the message box. Works for me. Others have also recommended Cal Pep. I think I can find it, but can I eat alone at the bar?