After the highlands?

Search

After the highlands?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2016, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After the highlands?

After the highlands we want to go someplace in the Islands for 3 nights - where should we go? Skye is touristy, but heard its beautiful. At this point we will be driving to the islands, don't think the rail is very convenient.
Any hotel recommendations would also help.
Old Mar 14th, 2016, 04:17 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Skye is touristy<<

Says who? I have no idea what that is supposed to mean -- there is one (<u>one</u town of any size on the entire island, and it has a population of only about 2500. There is almost no development of any sort on the island. I guess some can find 'touristy' anywhere.

Main options: Skye (wonderful), Mull/Iona (my own personal Favorite), Islay (especially if one is into single malts), the Outer Hebrides, Orkney, Arran. ALL have their attractions. Why not read up and decide which one(s) interest you most . . .
Old Mar 14th, 2016, 05:12 PM

I'd also consider Lewis.
Old Mar 14th, 2016, 05:32 PM

>>I'd also consider Lewis.<<

Me too -- the Western Isles (Lewis and Harris/North Uist/South Uist/Benbecula/Barra) which is what I meant by the Outer Hebrides. On a short visit Lewis and Harris would be doable.
Old Mar 14th, 2016, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

I actually posted this for my daughter who is trying to tweak her honeymoon plans. I will pass on this helpful info.
Thanks!
Old Mar 14th, 2016, 06:09 PM

Have her join Fodors -- we can definitely give her some helpful ideas
Old Mar 14th, 2016, 06:12 PM

Sorry, had to stop for dinner. I wanted to add that I believe there's a difference between touristy and crowded. Skye is certainly not touristy, but it's more popular sites can get crowded during the height of the tourist season. Of course, this comes from someone who has been going there for some time and early on thought 6 or more people constituted a crowd.

Lewis is an easy trip via ferry from Uig. You could explore Lewis which has a number of wonderful sites or spend your time on Harris. The east road or Gold highway takes you through a moon- like landscape which is really incredible, and the west road is entirely different...sand dunes golden beaches etc. There is an excellent hotel ( small) on the west road called Scarista House which I would highly recommend. Of course you could do a circular route and include both sides of Harris. Another option is the short ferry ride over to North Uist from Leverburgh on South Harris, although I believe you can also get to North Uist via Uig. North Uist is a place that those wanting to avoid any aspect of the touristy or crowds will certainly enjoy.