Amsterdam or Paris?

Search

Amsterdam or Paris?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amsterdam or Paris?

Because of lack of availability into Paris, we are flying into Amsterdam arriving 0930 on the 4th of June, we are to join a tour in Paris on the 6th of June, which gives us 2 and 1/2 days in Paris before we head to Dijon for a Canal Barge.
I don't know if we should spend a night or two in Amsterdam or just connect straight through to Paris and have the extra time there.
Amsterdam has never been on my radar but I feel if we are flying in maybe we should have a look, but I dont want to skimp on Paris. Any thoughts please?
Old Apr 20th, 2012, 10:22 PM

Have you ever been to either before, and what are the chances of your coming back to either?

I like both, but I'm not under any time pressures of that kind - if I were, that might influence the decision quite a bit.

It certainly ought to be possible for you to get a taste of Amsterdam, since the journey to Paris doesn't take that long - even if you only spend the one night in Amsterdam and go on the next day.

But if there's a great long list of things you'd like to see and do in Paris but might not get another chance to, that's a matter of your personal priorities.
Old Apr 20th, 2012, 10:36 PM
Original Poster

I have been to both in the very early 80's but not with my hubby and both trips were quite hurried being on a coach tour.

I am sure we will get other opportunities to visit again,(We are in Australia) must admit I think making sure we do Paris properly is winning.
Thanks Patrick
Old Apr 20th, 2012, 11:49 PM

You have to go into Amsterdam anyhow so why not see it. It means you get to your overnight hotel several hours earlier than you would otherwise and so can freshen up & have a snooze.
Old Apr 21st, 2012, 05:29 AM

When you say lack of availability into Paris, do you mean there is currently no convenient flight into Paris from Australia or is this just a problem for this trip only?

In my case, flying into Paris is always convoluted while Amsterdam is far simpler. Consequently, Amsterdam is always a layover city. So for a choice like this, I would go elsewhere. Why? Whether I like or not, the itinerary forces me to stop at Amsterdam every time I visit Europe. I don't need to make a special effort to visit Amsterdam.

Look at your future travel plans. Which city is least likely to be included? Go to that one this time.
Old Apr 21st, 2012, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Greg, All the airlines with decent business class fares were full into Paris whilst Amsterdam is wide open, hence our flying there.
Just seems a shame not to spend even one day there as we have the oportunity.
Old Apr 21st, 2012, 02:56 PM

If you have the time and have been to Paris, Amsterdam might be to your liking for one day (I would recommend the following: canal boat ride, Van Gogh museum, Rijksmuseum & Anna Frank House - try and get tickets in advance for that one).

If you have not been to Paris, go straight there. One of the top cities in the world (IMO) you don't want to skimp on it.