Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

After MUCH Thought........................

Sep 24th, 2001, 02:46 PM
Deb

We have decided to continue with our plans to leave for Italy this Saturday.
We aren't as happy as we would have been had the horrendus tragedy not happened on the 11th but we feel that life must go on.......
If there are any other Fodorites out there who haven't yet made up their minds.....I hope you decide to go and not give in to those terrorists. After all, this is what they want to do, to stop us from living our lives.......and make us afraid to travel and live life as we know it !!!!
We all need to make a stand and show them that we are not afraid of them.........

Sep 24th, 2001, 03:00 PM
Helen Donegan

You will be very welcome Deb - I admire your courage.

Sep 24th, 2001, 03:08 PM
Tammy

I am planning on going to Italy next May. I already have all my reservations including tickets with USAir. Now I'm worried about what will happen with them.

Sep 24th, 2001, 05:31 PM
candice

I would like to thank everyone for all of this info. My husband and I are leaving in Oct for Florence then on to Rome ..if Alitalia hadn't been so non-negotiable about the refunds of tickets, we probably would have canceled, but after a lot of thought, we are going ahead with our plans.Thinking that we will be as safe there as here-we live quite close to the attack site. So, keep those letters coming, so I will know just what to expect! Thanks,C

Sep 24th, 2001, 05:51 PM
stephanie

I am in the same boat...I am leaving for Italy on October 2nd. We are taking our 13 year old daughter to study art for 7 weeks. Lufthansa will not allow cancellation so I decided to go forward, too. I have also decided to avoid Naples. I am leaving with a heavy heart, though. I hope a dose of the Amalfi coast will be just the right cure. Just stay aware. We have traveled quite a bit and I have taught my family to always speak quietly when in public and when in Italy, no sneakers and dress in black!! Also, when asked in Egypt this past summer we sometimes said we were Canadians. Good luck to you all.

Sep 24th, 2001, 06:14 PM
belle

Way to go everyone!!!!! Be strong!!!!

Sep 24th, 2001, 07:44 PM
Lauren

As the intense period of grief eases a bit, people will begin to pick up their lives and go on because they must.

While we might not enjoy our trips (or life) as much as we did before September 11th, I wish all of you great trips abroad--or wherever you go.

Sep 26th, 2001, 12:31 AM
Anna

Question for STEPHANIE: where is your daughter studying art in Europe for 7 weeks. I only know of high-school programs. I would be interested in any information you have to pass on. Thanks. Anna.