Madrid hotel -Ever been to...

Sep 15th, 2001, 01:56 PM
Jeff B

Madrid hotel -Ever been to...

Most hotels I've 'heard of' on this board are booked for the 2 night's I'll be stopping in Madrid...Vacancies at:
Gran Atlanta and/or
Praga -
Anyone with suggestions or experience?
Thanks again

Sep 15th, 2001, 03:04 PM
David

Jeff

I have no experience of the hotels in question - I'll leave that to others to comment on. But have you tried www.solmelia.es. They are a large spanish chain and at the last count I think they have around 25 hotels in Madrid. I have stayed at a couple of their hotels there and many throughout Spain and can thoroughly recommend them.

Sep 16th, 2001, 06:51 AM
tip

More help here?

Sep 16th, 2001, 09:44 AM
Maribel

Jeff B,
Both of your hotels are in areas quite removed from the major sites.
The Gran Atlanta is located in the northern business district, about a half hr. via bus/metro/cab from Old Madrid-not really convenient for sightseeing for your 2 night stay. I know this area because my sister-in-law works just a few blks away, and we've occasionally rented an apt. right across from the hotel. It's an older 4 star place but comfortable-gets a lot of tour groups. The street does have some great (but pricey) restaurants, a Workcenter for internet access, a nice Mallorca patisserie-deli, plus a handy VIPs (a kind of 7/11, American style coffee shop combo), and there's shopping galore at the huge El Corte Ingles complex 3 blks away, but you'd spend a good deal of your 2 day stay (and valuable sightseeing time) shuttling back and forth from downtown.
The Praga is located in another fairly remote area, far south of downtown, a ways beyond Atocha station, in a working class neighborhood with very few tourist amenities. (My brother-in-law lives around here- have 8 sets of in-laws in Madrid!)
If those turn out to be the ONLY options available, I'd go with the Gran Atlanta, but as David suggests, I'd certainly check Sol Melia first. We've used and like a lot their Los Galgos in the pleasant Salamanca district, but their weekday rates are steep (great wkd rates though).
Also be sure to check the spiffy NH chain-it's very dependable.
www.nh-hoteles.es (their Lagasca, Principe de Vergara, Abascal, Sanvy, Zurbano, Embajada and Nacional are fine)
If that fails, also check
www.trypnet.com for the Fenix, Ambassador or Reina Victoria.
or
www.bestwestern.com for the Opera and others.
Hope this helps and good luck.

Sep 16th, 2001, 03:48 PM
ttt

ttt

Sep 26th, 2001, 02:41 AM
Richard

Two years ago we stayed at Carlos V which is affiliated with Best Western. Rooms small but clean, comfortable beds, b'fast included, free transport to airport, friendly staff, moderate price.
I think location was great. On "walking mall" with outdoor cafes etc.Could walk or take taxis to many of the sites.
Richard