After Helsinki, where to next?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2013, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just found out that I'll be visiting Helsinki in April 2014, and I'm super excited! I'll be there about two weeks for work. I'll have about 4 days afterwards in which to travel. Figure I will have seen Helsinki quite a bit by then (I'll definitely have time to explore the city and environs), so I'm trying to figure out where to spend those days. Top of the list, in no order: St. Petersburg, Stockholm, Copenhagen. Also considering Tallinn, given its proximity.

Generally I love traveling, museums, history, taking in the sights, food, etc. I've traveled to Russia before and loved it, but I know Moscow is very different from St. P. Needing to get a visa doesn't bother me. I've never been to any of the cities above and want to make the most of my time (though I know I can't see it all!)

Very much appreciate anyone's thoughts, and cheers!
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 03:40 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I would only choose one of the locations you list if you only have four days for travel. If you're willing to go through the cost and hassle of a Russian visa, St. pertersburg would be a good choice. Stockholm is also a beautiful city with lots to offer a visitor.
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 03:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you just have time for one city I'd pick St. Petersburg as much the most interesting. However, you might also consider combining Tallinn and Riga. Tallinn is quite cute, but Riga has some lovely Art Nouveau buildings.
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 03:46 PM
kja

Much as I love St. Petersburg, I think it deserves more than 4 days -- closer to 6 or 7 days. On the other hand, I think 4 days is perfect for Stockholm.
Old Nov 21st, 2013, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Great, thank you for the input and ideas!
Old Nov 21st, 2013, 07:27 AM

A friend and I went to Helsinki, St. Petersburg, and Tallinn this summer. We did not enjoy Helsinki, expensive, just another big city.

We took the St. Peters Line overnight ferry to SP/and back and stayed 72 hrs without a visa. It was a GREAT deal and we LOVED SP!

We then took the 2-hr ferry to Tallinn for 3 days, lovely old walled city . . . but 3 days was too long.

If we had it to do over again, we would spend less time in Helsinki, less in Tallinn, same time in SP, and add Riga to the mix.

I typed up my travelog from the trip and would be happy to email it to you if interested, just let me know at [email protected]. I do have to warn you that we are budget travelers and the report is long and wordy.

I hope you have a great trip wherever you go.
Sandy (in Denton)
Old Dec 7th, 2013, 07:25 AM

Everyone has different likes/dislikes. We spent 15 days at the end of September in Copenhagen, Helsinki, Tallinn and Stockholm, and I preferred Helsinki out of all the them. I would go back in a heartbeat, for a few days.

My only regret from the trip is we never made it to St Petersburg... Maybe another time soon!
Old Dec 7th, 2013, 08:26 AM

Agree with sandy_b: we took the St P line to St Pete from Helsinki for 72 hrs without visa. Loved it. Ferry is great way to travel also. Spent two days in Tallin. Plenty of time there.
Old Dec 16th, 2013, 06:02 PM

I have not visited St. Petersburg, so cannot comment.
I have visited Helsinki multiple times over the last 10 years. I would recommend that you choose another country rather than any further travel in Finland given your choices.

April will still probably be chilly with moderate length days.

Stockholm is always a favorite. Your choice of flight (though ARN is out of the city) or overnight ferry. The flights can be cheap when purchased in advance. I find the ferry cabin expensive for one person, but you also go for the experience. You can find many recommendations on this board about how to spend the time--a day for Vasa, outdoor museum. A day for other museums, palaces, old town, city hall. If nice weather, a canal cruise. Four days is a long time for me in Stockholm, but not for others. Not too many nearby attractions to combine.

Copenhagen is a longer flight, but still easy. I've done it for just a couple of days from Helsinki. A day for the city center, the amusement park, museums, canal tours. There are some day trips to Viking sites and castles. I think more to fill 4 days.

Tallinn is easy by ferry. I went for a day trip and would have enjoyed a second day. I was limited to old town and would have liked a day for the Russian area, historic sites, etc. But probably 2 days is good. Known for weekend parties.

Riga is a longer flight. OK old town. Known for weekend parties. Nice architecture. Some interesting museums. Good for 2+ days. I have not done the advertised day trips from there.
Old Dec 16th, 2013, 08:11 PM

The new trains to St. Petersburg make the trip much easier, and finally the Russian border checks are now done on the moving train (only a few years ago it used to be an eternity waiting in the middle of nowhere while they went about it as if the Iron Curtain had never come down...).

If you can stand the rigamarole of getting the tourist visa with the "invitation" form etc., and if you're willing to learn the alphabet and a bunch of useful words (most "normal" people who have nothing to do with tourism don't speak English), you'll enjoy being in fabulous St. Petersburg, without a tour or a guide, just by yourselves doing what it is you want to be doing. Good guidebooks and internet resources are aplenty, so do the home work and go enjoy!
Old Dec 17th, 2013, 05:18 AM

I did a 14 day cruise last year in the Baltic and visited St. Petersburg, Tallinn, Stockholm, Helsinki and Berlin. I fell in love with the quaintness of Tallinn and was most impressed with the loveliness of this little town the most. I loved St. Petersburg, but would love to go back and do a tour of the less touristy stuff and of course do Moscow as well. But I wished we also had a longer port stop in Germany. Germany has always been my favorite country to visit and 12 hours is not enough. Berlin was so exciting and I know there was a lot more to explore.