Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best additional city for a Moscow/St. Pete trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2006, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I'm planning a 12 day trip to Russia for August. I'll be traveling with a native Russian-speaking friend, but not on a tour. We're thinking Moscow and St. Petersburg and one other destination, perhaps Helsinki, Riga, or another Baltic destination. We're looking for something that would be interesting and wouldn't add a lot to travel expenses (a free layover type deal would be ideal). Anyone done this type of itinerary recently with good results?
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 05:36 AM

I have flown Finnair a few times and had a day or two in Helsinki- it is a lovely, walkable city. Finnair even has a shuttle to downtown. I was happy to spend a day there!

I have also spent some time in Riga after leaving Russia, and found it to be a pretty place. I think I would want more than a day in Riga though!

Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

thanks, that's helpful.
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

How about Riga v. Tallin for a short trip?
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 02:28 PM

Stockholm is a beautiful city especially in the summer, Copenhagen is another option. I like Riga for it's interesting architecture (Art Nouveau) and is a very inexpensive destination, Tallinn has a famous old town which you can walk around easily and is the best of the Baltic capital cities to visit (in my opinion).
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 02:41 PM

Have you considered Prague.
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 04:47 PM

I think Riga is a beautiful city, with a lovely old town, lots of interesting churches, good restaurants and a very friendly people (your Russian friend may want to play down his Russian ties, not so many good memories of Russia there.) It is also much less expensive than the Scandinavian cities noted above (and than some of the tourist hotels and restaurants in Moscow and St Petersburg) and is an easy direct flight from St Petersburg if that is your second destination. The wooden painted churches in the countryside are definitely worth a visit, really lovely.

I have not been to Tallinn, but have to say that if you are a man, I have heard from virtually every man who has been there that the most beautiful women in Europe live in Tallinn. This has been a weird, almost universal, and unsolicited comment (I am a woman and don't seek out these things), and has come even from Frenchmen from whom I would consider such a comment to be bordering on traitorous....so you might consider Tallinn, which I have also heard is a lovely city that does have a nicely preserved old town.

Prague is also nice, but will be packed in August. I think you will find Riga or Tallinn much more off the beaten path.
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 06:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I loved Vilnius - small, charming, walkable, and an easy night train from St. Petersburg. But with a Russian-speaking friend and a Russian visa already organized, why not more Russia? I thought Novgorod was a very atmospheric small town, with a wonderful openair museum nearby. Or there are all the Golden Ring towns.
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 07:38 PM

My impression of Tallin was that the people were humorless and deadpan. No smiles. But I liked the old town.

Riga is marred by countless guys standing in the street trying to get you to go to their girly bar. The sleeze is to appeal to the Irish and British boys coming over on cheap RyanAir flights to get drunk on the cheap (and good) beer. But, Riga has the most beautiful women I have seen anywhere, and the tallest. Their eyes are enchanting.

Villnius has the best old town. The women are also tall, good looking, and strikingly well dressed.

Past middle age I'm afraid that the appearance of the women deteriorate quickly in all of these cities.

Restaurant food is excellent in all of the above, and very moderately priced.

Helsinki, Oslo, Copenhagen, and Stockholm are so expensive that I couldn't enjoy them. How can anyody have a second beer after paying $7 for the first one. Try the Baltics before they are "discovered" and ruined by a "travel guide writer."

Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 08:09 PM
Original Poster

always the problem with travel, too many good options, too little time.