Affordable Barge in Burgundy...HELP

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I want very much to combine a road trip in Burgundy,using some of the great posted itineraries with 5 or 6 days on a barge.We do not want to rent a barge,but rather to be passengers with others.Trouble is,all the barge companies I have been able to find charge around $1000.00 per day per couple,which is way beyond our budget.Although we usually travel independently,two years ago we did a trip with OAT that included 6 days on a barge in S.France.it was superb and affordable. There were 18 people on the barge,with small but immaculate cabins and fine but certainly not deluxe meals. Unfortunately,OAT no longer offers barge cruises.Do any of you out there have knowledge of Burgundy barges that would cost considerably less money ??
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 08:09 AM

ttt
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 08:22 AM

Are you sure that OAT no longer offers these cruises? I get their catalogues as we did a GCT river cruise last October. Now I know they send out ALO of literature but I thought I saw a recent trip that sounds like what you are looking for. I noted it because it was just what I would like to do! Maybe the ship was a bit bigger - but still no more than 50 (and maybe it was more like 25) and itinerary started in Paris, went overland to Loire Valley, then down to where? and ended in Carcassone. Another started in Marseille, then to Avignon, Arles and the Carmouge. But it was pricey, maybe not $1000 a day. Have you seen those trips in their brochures?
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 03:19 PM

I would post this question on Cruisecritic message boards. There is a section set aside for questions about river and barge trips.
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 04:00 PM

You could also try the Cruises forum here.