Aeolian Islands - Stromboli

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2007, 10:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a volcano mad son and while we are on holiday in Italy we are considering a visit to Stromboli as an exciting and differt experience for both our boys. It sounds like it would be far more exciting than Mt V. Has anyone been there recently and was it worth the effort. ta deb
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 02:22 AM
Original Poster

has anybody been here that can give me some feedback?
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 03:04 AM

Hi there - I have not been but would also very much like to go. Last Friday, London's Evening Standard printed a small piece on Stromboli. Ferries from Sicily take 5 hours, not sure if there is a hydrofoil. They say it fires up about every 20 minutes. If I was in the area, I would definitely go. I kept an old issue of Gourmet with an article by Laura Fraser, which might bring it to life for you. You can read it here:

http://www.laurafraser.com/Aeolians.html
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 03:11 AM

<<< They say it fires up about every 20 minutes >>>

Having been there I can guarantee that it DOESN'T fire up every 20 minutes - indeed the night I was there it didn't fire up at all.

A night trip is the "best" option as you may see the glow from the molten lava but fumes from the crater can be nasty - to say the least - so a guide is needed. Don't be tempted to sneak up & sleep at the top, people have died from fume inhalation

Another alternative is Vulcano (yup the one for which all volcanos are name). It's an easy daytime walk and there's enough fumes / sulphur / spitting rocks to keep folk happy and you can finish off with a warming mud bath done at the coast

Old Feb 15th, 2007, 03:30 AM
bellastarr

I was in the Aeolians in September. I took the overnight ferry form Napoli, which arrived in Stromboli at dawn. I went up on the bridge to watch. The sea was glassy and with the rising sun, everything, sky and sea had a pink glow. Stromboli gave out a roaring sound and fired up, but if there is smoke or clouds at the top one might not see it.
Still, it was a fantastic sight.
I stayed in a Fisherman's house on Lipari and from there, one can easily get a small tour boat which goes to Stromboli (after stopping at other islands like Salina for a swim) and gets to Stromboli late in the afternoon. On Stromboli, there's a small tourist center up the road to the right from the dock where they show a film that gives the history of Stromboli and you can get posters and things. Or you have time to walk up through the town. Black beaches.
Then back to the tour boat, where the captain has prepared a nice pasta dinner and everyone eats at shared tables. After that, the boat went around to the other side of Stromboli and anchored for awhile to watch the volcano. It was a clear night and the moon was one day past full. I was the only American on board, all others were Italians ( I speak Italian, but it wouldn't have been a problem anyway). I became friendly with a nice family from Rome, and spent the time huddled with the two daughters (about 9 and 12) with blankets around our shoulders gazing hypnotized at Stromboli, which, between periods of silence with just the sound of waves hitting the side of the boat, roared and erupted 3 times. A magical experience I think you and your boys would love! There are many of these small tour boats on from Lipari and I saw several stands also on Stromboli, so I think it's easy to do. Good luck! Aeolians are fascinating from the volcano perspective, so if you take your boys there, it's a good choice

Old Feb 15th, 2007, 03:35 AM
bellastarr

Also, went to the mud baths on Vulcano, crowded and smelly live hot volcanic mud under the hot sun, very yukky, your boy might like it!! Afterward you can dip in the sea just steps away.

Then there are also beaches on Lipari covered with pieces of obsidian. Each island has a different personality!