Search

advise sought

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8th, 2002, 09:59 PM
shabir

advise sought

could someone please give us some info on travel to troyes from paris and lodging in troyes(under 75 us$)also is it worth the stay there?

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 04:51 AM
elaine

Hi<BR>I haven't been there but I have this information. By the way, you might want to repost your question with &quot;Troyes&quot; in the heading, such as<BR>&quot;Need advice re Troyes&quot;.<BR>This whole message board is about travel advice and your heading might not get the attention you would like.<BR><BR>I can't help you with a hotel, but perhaps the website can help you.<BR><BR>www.ot-troyes.fr/HomeEN.htm<BR>not all of the above website is in English<BR>www.pem.net/jon-catt/index1.html hire tour guide in Troyes<BR>Troyes (pronounced “trwah” sort of, is in the part of the Champagne area that few tourists go to. It is the former capital of the Champagne region and is 90 minutes by car from Paris and is said to have some of France’s most beautiful Gothic churches in all their stained-glass glory. The Cathedral alone has 180 stained-glass windows, some from the 14th century. Henry V married Catherine of France in the Eglise St-Jean. The Tourist Office can give you information on tours of the old town. In June there is a champagne festival.<BR><BR>Troyes has 7 museums, including the Museum of Tools and the Pharmacy Museum. The Museum of Modern Art includes many Impressionist and Picasso treasures.In its historic center are many houses dating from the 16th century. The McArthur Glen village has 60 factory retail shops Nearby champagne caves can also be visited.<BR><BR>A nice place for lunch I'm told (but I don't know prices): Clos Juillet, 22 Boulevard 14-Juillet, 03 25 73 31 32<BR><BR>As to worth it to stay there--that's your call. What interests you there to consider it?<BR><BR><BR>

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 08:57 AM
Joy

Troyes is definitely worth an overnight stay. I stayed in a very reasonable and historical hotel, and I know there are many other low-cost establishments.

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 09:09 AM
Michael

We were in Troyes last summer. It is definitely worth a visit. The cathefral has beautiful stained glass windows. There is an extensive old town. The Tool Museum is a must for anyone interested in the old trades. We ate at the Bistroquet, somewhat pricey but with excellent bistro food. It was the first time that I ever enjoyed andouillette and their baked bone marrow was delicious (the entire meal was unbalanced and un-PC). We stayed at a 2 star just outside the old town (on the Blvd. Carnot, I believe) whose price was well below $75.

Old Feb 8th, 2003, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would really appreciate the names of the places Joy and Michael stayed in as we will be in Trois this summer
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 11:23 PM
Michael

Wren, I don't remember the name of the hotel but it was right next to the tourist office close to the train station. It was on the Blvd. Carnot. You could park across the street at night. At the end of the boulevard (1 block away) there was a free all day parking lot, but it filled up early. All this making walking into the old town very easy.

Old Feb 9th, 2003, 04:07 AM

I am looking on a site that has the Hotel de la Gare/Relais de Champagne, the Hotel Le Splendid, and the Royal Hotel all on the Boulevard Carnot. Do any of those ring a bell?
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 08:56 AM
Michael

It definitely was not the Hotel de la Gare. I think that the Royal rings a bell. I must admit that I do not keep in mind hotel names for those that are acceptable but nothing exceptional. I might add that you probably do not need reservations in Troyes unless you are dealing with a highly touted hotel. We just got the room the day we arrived and did not feel that we were dealing with a bustling place.

Old Feb 11th, 2003, 08:58 AM
Michael

Wren, I now recall that we found the hotel through the Michelin red guide, because we were parked near the cathedral and the hotel was on the opposite end of the old town, so we would not have &quot;fallen&quot; on it by just wandering around.

Old Feb 11th, 2003, 03:12 PM
Michael

Wren, I checked and it was the Royal Hotel. As I said, the rooms were fine, but nothing to write home about. The restaurant looked good enough to be a fall-back position if we did not find anything interesting in town.

Old Feb 21st, 2003, 02:55 PM

Thanks for all you input. I think we may stay at the Hotel des Les Oiseaux.
Old Feb 21st, 2003, 03:37 PM

I stayed at the Hotel Royal in Troyes this past April and thought it was a great hotel for the price. But I am a 2-star hotel person and this was a bit nicer as a 3-star than I normally stay at. I really enjoyed the restaurant at the hotel it was very good. Here's a thread where Troyes was discussed a bit:<BR><BR>http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...p;tid=34380401