Advice - Western Norway trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2024, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're flying in and out of Bergen in July and will be in Norway for 9 nights. Torn on whether to stay put in one spot and do day trips out of Bergen or to be more "nomadic" to cover more ground. Would prefer to stay in only 2 or 3 places for overnights, however, not a different place every night. We expect we'll rent a car, so won't be limited to only public transportation. We don't care about doing any sort of city stuff (museums, etc.) -- just want to see the fjords, hike, probably take a couple of the "cruises" (ferries). Is it worth driving from Bergen to Geirangerfjord (and staying somewhere up in that area for a few nights)? I originally was planning on Naeroyfjord and Hardangerfjord from Bergen, but find myself now wanting to figure out how to include Geirangerfjord -- not sure if I'm trying to fit in too much within 9 days. Advice?
Old May 15th, 2024, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by JxRunner
We're flying in and out of Bergen in July and will be in Norway for 9 nights. Torn on whether to stay put in one spot and do day trips out of Bergen or to be more "nomadic" to cover more ground. Would prefer to stay in only 2 or 3 places for overnights, however, not a different place every night. We expect we'll rent a car, so won't be limited to only public transportation. We don't care about doing any sort of city stuff (museums, etc.) -- just want to see the fjords, hike, probably take a couple of the "cruises" (ferries). Is it worth driving from Bergen to Geirangerfjord (and staying somewhere up in that area for a few nights)? I originally was planning on Naeroyfjord and Hardangerfjord from Bergen, but find myself now wanting to figure out how to include Geirangerfjord -- not sure if I'm trying to fit in too much within 9 days. Advice?
Geirangerfjord is spectacular, but also where about every tourist goes, so it is really crowded. Also the freakin cruise ships diminish the experience.

Hardangerfjorden is great, you could spend a couple of days exploring here. Especially places like Rosendal, Ulvik, etc.

Go north to Sognefjorden and it's many arms. Also explore north of the fjord towards Jostedalsbreen, the biggest glacier in Norway. You could stay here:

https://ut.no/hytte/10296538/tungestlen-turisthytte-dnt

And in the same region as Geirangerfjorden, you'll also find Hjørundfjorden, a hidden gem and hiking paradise for those of us who likes demading hikes. More information here:

https://www.fjordnorway.com/en/attractions/hjorundfjord

Take a fjord cruise and stay at Christian Gaard:

https://christian-gaard.no/en/
Old May 15th, 2024, 12:10 PM

Take a look at my trip report. We drove from Bergen to Trondheim in a week. There are cabins for rent in Geiranger Fjord. Getting there ws a day's drive from Solvorn. You could stay there or in Balestrand for a couple of days to explore that area. The go to Geiranger Fjord as you next stop for a couple of nights. There is a historical farm hanging in the middle of a cliff. The local tour boat stops at the base, and from the farm, a hike up, you can hike back to Geiranger. That's my understanding, we did not do it.

Trip Report: Norway, July 2009

The URLs in the trip report have changed and are no longer valid, so here is the album of that trip:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjpdzmt7
Old May 15th, 2024, 12:24 PM
mjs

There is a Norway website on the scenic drives of Norway. It should be helpful in planning your trip. Definitely do not just stay in Bergen. The rest of the country is gorgeous but it can be rainy so you will have possible weather into consideration.
It can really pour!
Old May 15th, 2024, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by mjs
There is a Norway website on the scenic drives of Norway. It should be helpful in planning your trip. Definitely do not just stay in Bergen. The rest of the country is gorgeous but it can be rainy so you will have possible weather into consideration.
It can really pour!
I guess this is it:

https://www.nasjonaleturistveger.no/en/
Old May 15th, 2024, 07:53 PM
mjs

Yup
Old May 21st, 2024, 08:39 AM

Geirangerfjord is spectacular, but also where about every tourist goes, so it is really crowded. Also the freakin cruise ships diminish the experience.

Go north to Sognefjorden and it's many arms. Also explore north of the fjord towards Jostedalsbreen, the biggest glacier in Norway. You could stay here:

And in the same region as Geirangerfjorden, you'll also find Hjørundfjorden, a hidden gem and hiking paradise for those of us who likes demading hikes. More information here: (I am not allowed to post url)

Hello,
Thanks for the info! If we follow your suggestions, are we able to avoid the crowds in Geiranger and also won't miss the highlights of Geirangerfjord? We are driving from Flam direction to Geiranger hoping to spend 2 days in the region for a moderate hike to get close to Briksdalsbreen glacier or its branches, hike to the viewpoints, and see water falls and a stave church, or a cruise

Thanks a lot!
Old May 21st, 2024, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Banana4Me

And in the same region as Geirangerfjorden, you'll also find Hjørundfjorden, a hidden gem and hiking paradise for those of us who likes demading hikes. More information here: (I am not allowed to post url)

Hello,
Thanks for the info! If we follow your suggestions, are we able to avoid the crowds in Geiranger and also won't miss the highlights of Geirangerfjord? We are driving from Flam direction to Geiranger hoping to spend 2 days in the region for a moderate hike to get close to Briksdalsbreen glacier or its branches, hike to the viewpoints, and see water falls and a stave church, or a cruise

Thanks a lot!
Maybe go to Lom, not Geiranger
Old May 21st, 2024, 09:37 AM

Can you explain in details?
Old May 21st, 2024, 11:08 AM

The Urnes stave church is more interesting and less modified than the one in Lom.