Advice requested for Switzerland vacation in March

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2015, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, my family and I are travelling to Switzerland for the upcoming March break. Can anyone tell me what kind of clothes I will need to pack (will there be snow? how cold will it be? etc). We'll be flying in to Zurich but we're staying in Lucerne. What is the best way to get to Lucerne from Zurich? taxi, train and how much does each option cost for a family of 5 (or per person). We would also like to take a trip to Lake Geneva, any other suggestions other than Mt Pilatus, Lion monument and Chapel bridge in Lucerne? Should we also visit Bern? Any advice or suggestions would be helpful. Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 10th, 2015, 05:41 AM

In most of Switz March is still winter - lots of skiing/winter sports in the mountains - and even in the valleys, although not SO cold, will still not be flowers or lots of greenery (except evergreens) and walking or hiking can be either still snowy or starting to turn muddy.

This is not a time I would go to Switz except for winter sports.

Lucerne is about an hour by train from the station underneath the Zurich airport. And while it's a lovely tourist town - not sure what schedule lake steamers will be on - and if you ascend any of the nearby mountains by cable car or tram you will need full winter clothing (since they are still quite chilly in midsummer). In Lucern you may also want to visit the town walls and visit small towns around the lake (but do check when steamers run that time of year).
Old Feb 10th, 2015, 05:43 AM

Note: In March the average high temps for Lucerne are about 10 and the average low temp is 2 - so barely above freezing. Mountains quite a bit colder.
Old Feb 10th, 2015, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks nytraveler for your info.

Do you know if I need to buy tickets to Mt Pilatus in advance or is it ok to buy it on the same day of visit? Actually do you think the Alps will be visible or will it be foggy, gray and miserable? Sorry, I know you can't predict the weather for 2nd week of March, but in your experience, is it generally rainy this time of year?
Old Feb 10th, 2015, 06:38 AM

You can buy your tickets the day that you wish to ascend at the Tourist Info office, which is in the Hauptbahnhof (main train station) of Lucerne. The added benefit is that there are real time cameras, showing what the weather above is. So you can check several days in a row, but if poor weather, be prepared to go on an alternate day trip.
Old Feb 10th, 2015, 07:01 AM

I am not sure how long you will be staying in Lucerne, but if time, I wholeheartedly recommend daytrips to the following lovely towns, each with a distinctive flavor: Brienz,a wood-carving village with old wooden chalets steeply climbing upward and the Rothornbahn (1 hr30min by train); Solothurn, a centuries-old town with large # of baroque buildings and quaint cobblestone lanes set on picturesque river (1:02 by train); and Rapperswil, a lakeshore town with rose gardens (too early in March), castle, deer park, reachable by train in 1 hr17 min or by boat from Zurich...impressive skyline.
Old Feb 10th, 2015, 07:25 AM

There is an additional advantage to buying the Pilatusbahn voucher at the Luzern Tourist office - presumably the day before since you will be likely to be leaving Luzern before the TI office opens.

If you already have the voucher, you can walk straight off the train at Alpnachstad station to the Pilatusbahn voucher to ticket exchange booth and walk to the turn style be in queue.

If you don't have the Pilatusbahn voucher when you get off the S-Bahn at Alpnachstad, you will have to line up to buy the ticket. There was only one person doing both in September. First she tended people with voucher and gave them tickets. When all the passengers with vouchers were done, she then walked to the ticket booth building and opened ticket window.

The crowd is more of an issue during the high season and perhaps not so much in March.
Old Feb 10th, 2015, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

thanks mokka4! That is awesome!
Do you know if it's worth (or even possible)travelling to other countries (Italy, Germany, France) while we're there? We'll be in Lucerne for a week (Mar 6-13).
Old Feb 10th, 2015, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Good to know Greg. Thanks
Old Feb 10th, 2015, 07:31 AM

Hi li_mom,

There is a train station in the basement of the Zurich airport, and there are direct (0 changes) trains to Luzern. You can find them on the Swiss rail website:

www.sbb.ch

I personally wouldn't recommend trying to see any other countries in the short one week you'll be there. I don't think you'll run out of things to do or keep you busy, particularly if you do some/all of the excursions mentioned by mokka4.

In addition to Bern and mokka4's list, you could also spend a day in Basel, a really beautiful city.

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Feb 10th, 2015, 07:37 AM

Of course, if you buy the Pilatus voucher day before, there is a risk. You would not know if the weather at the mountain is good enough to go up the next days. I would have wanted to go up by the cogwheel train to Pilatus and down the other side to Luzern by a cable car, but the cable car station at Pilatus was being renovated and out of service last fall.

Beside Pilaus, there is Mt. Rigi. Boat from Luzern to Vitznau, cogwheel train up to Mt. Rigi, down partially to Rigi Kalbad station, change from the cogwheel train to cable car down to Weggis. Lunch at Weggis before hopping a boat back to Luzern. It was an outdoor dining time when I was there in fall. It would be too cold for that in March.
Old Feb 10th, 2015, 07:48 AM

I agree, there is so much to be seen, 'just' using Luzern as your base! March average high temp of 51, avg low 34. There can be wet snow in towns (lower elevations), and a lot of clouds in the mountains. Also consider trips up Mt.Rigi (via Vitznau/Weggis/Goldau), for a different mountain perspective (viewing platforms and cafe-reataurants at the tops will be open, even if hiking is too sloppy to consider).
Boats on Lake Luzern will still be on the winter schedule until 2nd April, but will be running 3-4 per day to surrounding villages...
There is also a neat zoo in Arth-Goldau for visiting, set in a prior avalanche setting. Stay local and explore deeply-you won't regret it!
Old Feb 10th, 2015, 09:31 AM

You can't buy Pilatus tickets so long in advance. The cableway (gondola) will start to run on April 1st and the train around May 10th.
Standard train fare Zurich airport - Lucerne: 29 CHF/EUR/pax. Kids up to 6 years free, half fare from 6 - 16, free with Swiss Family Card.
Lucerne - Geneva costs 80 CHF. If you travel from Zurich airport via Lucerne to Geneva and may be back to Zurich or to another place, a Swiss Half Fare Card might be more andvantageous.
You may have a look at
http://www.myswitzerland.com/en/home.html
http://www.swisstravelsystem.ch/en/
http://fahrplan.sbb.ch/bin/query.exe/en

A taxi ride from Zurich airport to Lucerne costs between 150 and 200 CHF/EUR
Old Feb 11th, 2015, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

Mount Pilatus vs Mount Titlis? Is one better than the other? should we do both or is it more like "if you've seen one, you've seen them all"?
Old Feb 12th, 2015, 03:07 PM

They are each different, but IMHO, with your limited time, I wouldn't do both. Your home base is much more convenient to Pilatus...I would visit IT.
Titlis is farther than Rigi...Titlis is ascended in stages, with the Truebsee (lake) stop wonderful in summer or fall weather for a circular hike and picnic. IF you were really bent on a second mountain trip, I personally would visit Rigi.
Old Feb 12th, 2015, 03:15 PM

Depending upon how much travel you intend, you will of course compare the various Swiss train passes. Recall that children 15 and under travel free with a family card...Mountain excursions ate not cheap, and most passes only give a fraction reduction for these high altitude treks....
Old Feb 13th, 2015, 07:35 AM

How will you go to Pilatus? with crampons, picks and ropes?
Old Feb 13th, 2015, 08:37 AM

Pilatus vs. Titlis?
Mt. Pilatus is right next to Luzern. See the picture of Luzern? http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/med...us-and-the.jpg The mountain in the background is Mt. Pilatus. The cog wheel train from Alpnachstad climbs from the left side in this picture and the cable car climbs from the right.
Mt. Titlis is a lot further away from Luzern but higher.
Old Feb 13th, 2015, 09:45 AM

For a lt of great stuff on Swiss trains and places to go check these IMO superb sources: www.swisstravelsystem.com; www.seat61.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com - check the latter's free online European Planning & Rail Guide's Switzerland chapter for tips on where to go

And if doing the trips previsioned (like Lake Geneva) be sure to check out the Swiss Pass which covers not only trains but lake boats, postal buses, city trams and buses and gives free entry to 470 museums and sights such as those in Lucerne.
Old Feb 13th, 2015, 12:05 PM

Aah, I see what you're saying neckervd...details..details!
So, to OP: the aerial cableway Fraekmuentegg to Pilatus Kulm (the top) is CLOSED UNTIL MARCH 31ST DUE TO NEW BUILDING. You can go only as far as Kriens.
Likewise, the Luzern-->Alpnachstad cogwheel train begins the season early to mid-May! So look more closely at other mountain excursions...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -