Advice re: Munich to Rome or vice-versa

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2014, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We want to spend a few days in Munich during Oktoberfest and then wind our way to Rome. I'm just starting to put this together (I know we may have to stay fairly distant from Munich because I'm late in planning) and appreciate all advice, including "you're crazy." We can start or end in Munich or Rome. We can leave any time between 9/19 and 10/2 in order to make the trip work. In addition to Munich and O'fest, we want to spend time in Tuscany, the Amalfi Coast, and Rome. We will have between 14 and 18 days. My initial questions are:

Should we rent a car wherever we start and drive the whole trip?

Would it make more sense to take a train from Munich to Siena or the AC and rent a car from there, or am I dreaming that there will be an auto rental office anywhere close to these areas? Or, after spending time in Rome, rent a car to see Tuscany, then the AC, then take a train to Munich?

Just to give us an idea, if we took the train just from Munich to Rome, how long would it take (ballpark)? Could/should we take an overnight train?

What is considered low season in Italy? We might try to plan with that in mind.

Munich would be 3 days tops, then 4/5 in Tuscany, 4/5 in AC, 4/5 in Rome. We are energetic seniors and we pack light. If we drive, I realize we'll have to allow time getting from place to place which may include overnights. Looking for the thoughts of the seasoned travelers on this board. Many thanks.
Old May 5th, 2014, 10:28 AM

I can't comment on some of your questions, but I would suggest not having a car in Munich or Rome. I wouldn't drive between Munich and Italy either, unless there was something you wanted to see on the way. We took the train from Munich to Bologna and then rented a car to spend a week outside Montepulciano. You could at the time take an overnight train from Munich to Bologna/Florence, but the day we would have had to take it would have gotten us in early Sunday morning and I don't think the car rental places were open. So we took the day train getting in Saturday afternoon. I think it was 6-7 hours?
Old May 5th, 2014, 11:37 AM

Both in München and Roma, you do not need a car. It would even be a hindrance. Secondly, cross-border rentals are very expensive.

So, I would fly from München to Roma and at the end of the stay in Roma, I would rent a car and drive to Amalfi and Tuscany.

I would not take an overnight train - it is not fun and pretty expensive too. Book your flight early and you will get good rates.
Old May 5th, 2014, 12:25 PM

Just to give us an idea, if we took the train just from Munich to Rome, how long would it take (ballpark)? Could/should we take an overnight train?>

Yes you can and I've taken this overnight train several times - saves a long day of travel regardless of whether you go by car or train - one problem with car rental is that if you return your car in a country other than what you picked it up in you may have a hefty return fee - so I would take the train or fly to Italy and rent a car where it is most useful - going thru the hill towns of Tuscany and or Umbria.

For cities like Rome cars are useless and a liability - wide swathes of the city centre are now off-limits to private vehicles. Parking can be hard to find and expensive if you do - many city centre hotels may not offer parking or charge an arm and a aeg for it if they do.

Go to www.bahn.de/en - the official German Railways web site for fares and possible discounts if you book far in advance - of course you also save on the cost of a night in a hotel. Thus the overnight train may well be a lot cheaper than flying and quicker too as you do not lose any daytime travel time - flying entails taking a half day at least - getting to the airport and from it, having to be there a certain time before the plane, etc.

for lots of good info on overnight trains and train in general check out these IMO fantastic sites: www.seat61.com - great info on discounted tickets); www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.
Old May 5th, 2014, 01:11 PM

I would not take an overnight train - it is not fun>

Well that is a subjective take - I've taken zillions of night trains all over Europe and often they are fun - meeting some really neat people - having nice conversations, etc.

But that is in a multi-person couchette like compartment. If you are a couple it could be fun to have a private compartment - you can bring any food and drink you want on board (even in multi-person compartments) and make a nice romantic night of it.

Some folks will not find night trains fun - especially if you are a light sleeper but to say in general they are not fun is a subjective take by folks who probably have never ever taken one or certainly then not more than one!
Old May 5th, 2014, 03:01 PM

I would not take an overnight train - it is not fun and pretty expensive too.>

Well as for expensive I think that may be right on - www.bahn.de/en even for dates way out only shows about 130 euros p.p. for the cheapest accommodation on that train. Ordinarily there would be 29 euro fares for the same thing. So it may be way more expensive than I thought.
Old May 5th, 2014, 05:45 PM

Low season in Italy would be November through March - everything you are looking at is high season. And in low season you probably wouldn't want to go to the Amalfi Coast.

Looking at this we probably would do this as a road trip (yes, picking up in one country and dropping off in another is expensive). So we would pick up on leaving Munich, drive it through Tuscany and the Amalfi Coast and drop it off on arrival in Rome. As long as you want to see parts of the countryside and not just the center of Munich and Rome - a car is a legitimate choice.
Old May 6th, 2014, 05:14 AM

http://www.citynightline.de/citynigh...en/index.shtml

Here is the official site for the CityNightLiner (CNL) overnight trains - check Munich to Rome to see if there are any discounted fares, etc.

CNL night trains are amongst the very finest I have ridden in Europe.
Old May 6th, 2014, 09:57 AM

The supplement for cross-border rentals can be very high; I've heard of prices in the vicinity of 500 euros.
Old May 6th, 2014, 10:04 AM

Adding up your days, it looks to me as though you're not taking travel days into account. These are mostly fairly long trips, so you'll lose a day with each transfer.
Old May 6th, 2014, 10:11 PM

Hi katherinebw,

I'm another one who loves night trains -- it's my preferred way to get from Munich to Paris. It should, of course, work just as well from Munich to Rome.

I usually get a cabin to myself so that I have a toilet and shower in my room. You can either bring in some wine/champagne, or buy it onboard, and you can also bring in meals or buy them onboard. Breakfast is included in the price of the cabin, and it was filling - 2 rolls, juice, coffee/tea. You tell the steward what time to bring it.

I love to have something to eat, open the wine, turn off the lights, then snuggle down and watch the countryside sliding by the window. It is a lovely and romantic way to travel.

Yes, getting a private cabin can be expensive, but then you won't be paying for one hotel night. And you get to wake up in your destination!

Of course, you'll be travelling much greener if you use the train over the plane!

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old May 7th, 2014, 05:04 AM

ditto to all that swandav says about night trains - some may hate them but others love them - for utilitarian reasons as well as the experience.
Old May 8th, 2014, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all very much, especially for the websites. I checked the night train but it's too soon to book anything or see the fares--has to be within 92 days to reserve. I love the idea of bringing on some delicious food and wine and snuggling in for the night. On the other hand, it would be nice to leave in the a.m. and see the countryside, but I didn't see anything leaving in the morning. The station in Munich is Hbf, and from the map it looks as though it's in the city center. Is that correct? Is it within walking distance of the Oktoberfest area? If we reserve a room outside of the city (which we will have to do I'm sure) we'd like to be on a train line.
Old May 8th, 2014, 02:07 PM

except for the first few hours of scenery - up to the Brennero Pass in Austria the scenery after that is not spectacular but IMO tedious - the Italy part from Verona on. And the Brennero for the Alps is less awesome than many parts.
Old May 8th, 2014, 08:37 PM

Hello, yes Munich Hbf is within walking distance but it is quite far (40 minutes). With your ticket you should be able to take any S-Bahn in the direction "Pasing", get off the first stop ("Hackerbrücke") and follow the throng of people to the Oktoberfest.
As for the trip: yes in Munich and Rome the car is not necessary. But most Germans take the car to Italy - there are no border controls and if you stop at places like Castle Neuschwanstein and Lago di Garda then your trip will definitely add some wonderful memories. I'd rent the car after Munich, do the Italy and travelling and drop the car off at Roma Airport before visiting Rome. Have fun. Don't hesitate to ask for any further advice.
Old May 8th, 2014, 09:32 PM

Hi again,

You can take a look at the bahn.com website using a date 92 days from today to see what the fares are like. You won't be prompted to buy the ticket; you can just look at the fares.

If you want to rent a car in Germany and drop it in Itlay, you'll be facing quite heavy one-way fees -- they can be as much as 500 €. These fees are hidden in the small print, and you have to ask specifically how much they are.

s