Advice on taking sharp items on a plane

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In 2 weeks we’ll be heading to Europe and I’ve got several questions concerning sharp items on planes. I know that initially after 9/11 you couldn’t take anything on a plane that had any sharp edges...but now it seems those regulations have relaxed. I have taken fingernail clippers on planes w/in the US but haven’t traveled internationally since 9/11 so I have the following questions:
- Can I take a regular pair of fingernail clippers?
- Can I take a small cuticle clipper (looks like mini scissors)
- Can I buy a mini Swiss Army knife (has 1-1/2” blade) and bring back?

All of our luggage will be carry on so these items would be in the cabin of the plane. On the way over we'll be flying Newark-Paris-Athens, we have a round trip flight from Athens to Santorini, a flight from Athens to Venice and the return flight from Barcelona to Atlanta.

Thanks
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 10:26 AM

http://www.tsa.gov/interweb/assetlib...ited_Facts.doc
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 10:26 AM

I wouldn't carry anything of value (speciffically, the knife). If a TSA inspector sees something s/he wants, it will be confiscated.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 10:27 AM

Sorry, I meant "specifficallly."
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 10:30 AM

- Can I take a regular pair of fingernail clippers?

Probably yes but risky (depends on the person who does the security check).

- Can I take a small cuticle clipper (looks like mini scissors)

No.

- Can I buy a mini Swiss Army knife (has 1-1/2” blade) and bring back?

Definitly no.

You may be lucky, because Athens Airport is well-known for its lax security checks (and frequent hijackings).
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 11:44 AM

My daughter bought a small letter-opener (about 6&quot that's shaped like a sword in Rome. She forgot to pack it in her luggage and kept it in her purse. It was confiscated in the airport in Paris even though it's not even sharp. I also overheard someone saying her nail filer was taken away. I don't know about nail clippers, but I would think cuticle clippers and swiss army knife are definitely not OK.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 12:14 PM

I've taken my nail kit with nail clippers and cuticle nippers on many flights, domestic and international, but my cuticle nippers look like nail clippers with an angled rather than straight cutting surface; they don't look like scissors.

On a recent TSA check, the nippers were examined VERY carefully by not one but TWO TSA officials and I was eventually allowed to keep them. However, just a few days early I had a corkscrew with a tiny (1/2 inch) foil cutter attached to to it that was confiscated, so...I think the answers here are right on--nail clippers, yes; nippers, maybe but very likely not; anything that even resembles a knife, no way.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 12:17 PM

Cuticle scissors were supposed to have been taken off the "banned" list last December, but I suspect what's allowed depends a lot on the whim of the TSA agents on any given day.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 12:18 PM

"If a TSA inspector sees something s/he wants, it will be confiscated."

What a terrible attitude to have.

Maybe if you're a kind, loving person, as I am, you get appropriate treatment.

A year ago while going thru security at Boston's Logan airport the TSA inspector noted that my money clip had a one and half inch blade and that it would be confiscated. However, he offered an envelope so I could mail it to myself and went back with me thru security to a mail box. BTW, I usually carry a different clip when flying.

Old Apr 19th, 2006, 12:42 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
traveler1959's post is totally inaccurate.

nail clippers - yes
nail scissors - yes (as well as other scissors w/ short blades)
pocket knife w/ a short blade - yes

However - just because it is allowed, individual TSA agents might still take them so I'd probably think twice about the Swiss army knife
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 12:45 PM

Meant to add - re jsmith's comment about his money clip. The rules were loosened several months ago to allow small pocket knives and other small blades/scissors.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 12:49 PM

I took a nail fine that was confiscated (it had a tip, but was not sharp). Then, I got into the airport and went to the convenience store and, lo and behold, they were selling the exact same item (brand and all) that had been confiscated from me. So, I bought one and walked back to security and asked to speak to the agent who had checked me out, showing her what I had just purchased. Then I filled out a complaint report.

I never take full on nail kits on-board with me, as they are expensive and of dubious nature when it comes to confiscation. I suggest you ditch the army knife and either buy one abroad or do without. Nail clippers are available in most airport convenience stores, so they should let them through. The scissors are, like the knife, dubious.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 01:03 PM

On a domestic flight last November, my Zippo was taken! Ok, my bad, I guess. Beyong the check point they were selling them in a couple of shops. I do not understnad this mentality at all.

I bought another and it was not taken from me by TSA since.

(I know, smoking kills)

~Jay
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 01:09 PM

"What a terrible attitude to have.

Maybe if you're a kind, loving person, as I am, you get appropriate treatment."

What kind of kind, loving person chides someone s/he doesn't even know for saying something that acknowledges the possible venality of government employees?
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 01:11 PM

Janisj--Why are you saying &quot;pocket knife w/ a short blade - yes&quot; when the TSA's prohibited items list clearly says &quot;Knives (except for plastic or round bladed butter knives) <b>No</b>&quot;???
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 01:22 PM

And TSA website rules don't apply to other countries. Wekiva, have you checked the websites of the airports you'll be using in Europe?
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

No Rufus...I haven't. With all the travel planning I am doing I just don't have the time to check through 4 or 5 airport web sites for that info. I just thought I'd run it by this great forum and go w/ the consensus.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 01:34 PM

Oh - DUH. Total brain fade here. I knew about the knives. The big change a few months ago involved scissors and <b>screw drivers</b> but I sort of went into auto pilot and mis-spoke.

Scissors - yes, nail clippers - yes.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 01:39 PM

I have twice had items that were allowed through secruity by TSA, but were not allowed by airport security in Seville and Paris. The specific items were corkscrews with the blades removed.

Woody
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 01:50 PM

I think you're more likely to get more accurate info from the &quot;horse's mouth&quot; so to speak, rather than a vote of us random folks who stumble onto this thread.

After all, if Columbus had taken a vote of the common people on whether the earth was flat or round as his decisional source, he never would have left on his voyage.

But, if you want my vote, I will vote yes on the fingernail clippers and the cuticle clipper, and no on the knife.