Advice on Paris

Apr 27th, 2012, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Advice on Paris

My wife and I have a 4 and a half hour layover in Paris. Can we go see the Eiffel Tower and get back to make our flight in time?
Apr 27th, 2012, 03:25 PM

No.
Apr 27th, 2012, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

StCirq,

Thanks for your reply. Why do you say no?
Apr 27th, 2012, 03:31 PM

I would say no as well. First you would have to get to the RER and into the city; that would be an hour (or more). Then you would have to get to the Eiffel tower and probably just run up the metro stairs and look at it from a distance as you wouldn't have time to wait on line and go up. You also would have to allow yourself time to go back to CDG and go through security. I wouldn't risk it. I definitely think you would miss your connecting flight. With only 4 1/2 hours I would try to find something to do at the airport like eat a meal and walk around the terminals and browse the duty free.
Apr 27th, 2012, 04:20 PM

Customs, immigration, time to get to train, 30 minutes plus into the city, 30 minutes back to CDG, security....
I'm with St Cirq, it's a no.

Hit Laduree at CDG and enjoy some macarons, but you don't have time to go into central Paris.
Apr 27th, 2012, 04:28 PM

No because you do not have sufficient time.

Go ahead, prove us wrong.
Apr 27th, 2012, 04:50 PM

NO! Not a chance. CDG is a zoo at the best of times. Immigration takes time. Getting tix for the RER takes time. IMO one needs a minimum of 6 hours to get a glimpse of something - and even that would make me nervous.

And security back at CDG can take forever
Apr 27th, 2012, 05:02 PM

I would say your best shot at seeing the Eiffel Tower would be from the airplane window upon landing or takeoff. Other than that forget about it for now.
Apr 27th, 2012, 06:33 PM

No. There simply isn't time.

For a transatlantic flight FROM CDG you are advised to arrive at the airport 3 hours before flight time. this would mean leaving paris about 4 hours before flight time. At which time you would still be exiting your flight INTO Paris.

Now, you could risk arriving at CDG less than 3 hours before departure. But - to get from CDG to Paris from wheels down is an hour, to see the ET will take at a minimum 15 minutes (see briefly from a distance) and then 45 minutes back to CDG - dragging your carry-on with you the whole time. This will get you back to CDG 2.5 hours before your flight - IF the fight lands on time and there are no delays to or fro Paris. This gives you a reasonable chance - but no guarantee of making your flight home. And if you miss your flight your luggage will go astray and you will have to buy a new ticket home at the walk up price.

Is that worth the chance to spend 15 minutes looking at the Eiffel Tower?
Apr 27th, 2012, 06:39 PM

NO.

You can't predict how long it will take to get through customs, into Paris, back from Paris and through security again.
Apr 28th, 2012, 08:06 AM

Deplane, customs, immigration - 1 hour
Train into Paris - 1 hour
Train back to CDG - 1 hour
Gate closes 1 hour before flight - 1 hour

There... you just missed your plane....