Reload this Page >

Advice on how to not get my expensive camera stolen

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 1999, 12:03 PM
Jeanie

I will be backpacking through Portgual, Spain, Northern Italy and France in June and intend on bringing my rather expensive camera. For a while I thought I should just leave it at home, but then I realized that a nice camera does no good if you can't take it to picturesque place. But I am still concerned about it getting stolen. Any advice on how to protect it? I am especially concerned about situations where I will want to keep it out of my backpack - in the US I am used to let it dangle around my neck (obviously a no-no in Europe). <BR>Thanks in advance, <BR>Jeanie

Old Apr 6th, 1999, 12:18 PM
Beth

Actually, seems to me dangling around your neck is the best place for it. Make sure you have a reasonably thick neck strap (which I bet you already do) and I can't think what would be safer. Keeping it in a backpack where someone could lift it, or a camera bag which is too obvious a target don't seem like the right solution. The odds of someone coming right up in front of you and yanking it off the strap seem long.

Old Apr 6th, 1999, 12:39 PM
John

Well, you rejected the first option .... leaving it home which is understandble. I would suggest in a camera bag hung in front of you with your arm over it. I do not advise putting in a backpack. Be careful about putting it down anyplace. At restaurants, loop the strap around the leg of a chair and keep one leg in contact with the bag. And don't forget your camera when you are leaving the restaurant. I know, a real pain, but what else can you do?

Old Apr 6th, 1999, 01:43 PM
Joanne

Just returned from France and Italy, where I wore my nice camera around my neck the entire time. No pickpockets, never felt uncomfortable. Enjoy your good camera in Europe

Old Apr 6th, 1999, 02:15 PM
Lee

Jeanie: Call it whatever, but I usually play it safe with my belongings. I'm the guy that doesn't leave his car unlocked, let alone running, outside the convenience store, but plenty of folks do just that. <BR> <BR>From my experience in the military, living in larger cities and living in Europe, I have my "do's" and "don't's". <BR> <BR>I'll take my camera with me and when going from city to city (via plane for example), I'll keep my camera, carry on, whatever, right with me and usually with a strap around my leg or arm (even in the rest room!). I don't whip out money, credit cards, etc. or wear any expensive jewelry, indicating that I may have money. I don't ever follow anyone that approaches me, no matter what their story and I try to stay out of dark/seedy areas that may pose a problem. My wallet is not in my pocket and personal valuables like passport, credit cards and money are always close to me and not easy to pickpocket. <BR> <BR>Overzealous? Maybe, but I've not been robbed on four continents. Take what you need and care for what you take. <BR> <BR>Have a good (safe) trip! <BR>

Old Apr 6th, 1999, 03:13 PM
Bob Brown

I have carried my photo gear with me on numerous trips, even to the top of 14,000 foot peaks in the Rockies as well as around Europe. <BR>My suggestion -- find a second hand case that looks on the surface like it is on its last legs but will still do the job of protection. Use it to disguise what is underneath. If someone wants your camera badly enough, they can run by, cut the strap, and be gone. You might thread a light metal chain along the strap to discourage cut and run thiefs. <BR>My camera and case are a little battered looking externally, but the lens, shutter, and other mechanisms are in excellent working order with a a new lens. But the case and camera surfaces look like something rejected by the Salvation Army. <BR>The only photo item I have lost was a relatively new telephoto lens that was in a separate, shiny, expensive-looking case. <BR>It was heisted while the camera itself was ignored. Fortunately I found a highly similar used lens in first class shape to replace it in Luzern.

Old Apr 6th, 1999, 05:49 PM
Jeanie

Thanks for the tips. I do have a really thick strap already and actually it is quite hideous (maybe that will deter theives). I don't know why I was thinking that wearing it around my neck would make me an obvious target. You just hear so many stories about thieves...

Old Apr 7th, 1999, 03:41 AM
Tony Hughes

Jeannie, out of curiousity, why do you think it's a 'no-no' to wear a camera around your neck in Europe?

Old Apr 7th, 1999, 04:50 AM
dan

When in crowded places, keep your hand on the strap. I agree that around your neck should be about the safest place. Also, the idea of a bag that doesn't look like an expensive camera bag is a great idea. I have also heard of some photographers putting tape, sort of like duct tape (maybe it was duct tape) on the cameras to cover up the brand name and make the camera less attractive. So far, the latter idea has been a little too extreme for me to try with my own expensive cameras.

Old Apr 7th, 1999, 07:19 AM
Bob Brown

OOPS. I know full well that the plural of "thief" is "thieves". I am not sure if I meant "thefts" or "thieves" and hit on an incorrect compromise. But who is to say we cannot invent words? (Thieves are people who actually succeed in carrying out a theft; while thiefs are people who try but fail. And my high school English teacher(s) just revolved 360 degrees in the prone position. We could go back to theef, the middle English spelling. (My dictionary does not state the plural.) <BR> <BR>Back to cameras. Another aspect of carrying an expensive camera that is obviously a prestige brand is that people ask about it. I have heard that seemingly polite inquiries about the camera are sometimes a distraction that facilitates the theft of your money. (No one has ever asked me "What the $%^ is that thing you are carrying about? Is it toxic?") <BR> <BR>I have seen a device known as a Kuban Hitch that serves as a carrying harness that keeps the camera close to the lower chest so that it does not dangle. Swiping the camera off of your person would mean cutting more than one strap or resorting to strong-arm tactics. <BR>Perhaps a photo store might have a suggestion. My friend from Finland uses the light chain method. She actually stitched small leather loops to the camera strap in about 6 places and then threaded a little chain through them. <BR>She has the same device on her waist pack. (Not sure how the ends are anchored.) <BR>Just like money, a camera is not much good unless you use it. The problem is you want to be the one doing the using. <BR>But if you lose it, just remember that the first year of depreciation on a new automobile is equal to the purchase price of at least one very expensive camera. Take good precautions, but don't sacrifice the opportunity to use good equipment.

Old Apr 7th, 1999, 09:10 AM
Michael Baldwin

Trust me on this one, Jeanie. <BR> <BR>Take basic precautions that other posters have noted, but don't be unnecessarily afraid of theft in Europe. <BR> <BR>As a fairly seasoned US and European traveler (and downtown resident of a large american city) I assure you that any place you visit in europe is safer than its american counterpart. <BR> <BR>Crime simply doesn't happen in europe to the extent it does in the US. That's not to say it never happens, it just doesn't happen nearly as much. <BR> <BR>However, carrying the camera around your neck will make you more of a target. Take precautions and learn to live with it. <BR> <BR>It a vacation, after all. <BR> <BR>Michael

Old Apr 7th, 1999, 09:15 AM
dan

Check with your insurance company to see if they have camera insurance. I added this to my policy to cover all my equipment. It was not expensive at all. Check photo magazines for the straps that Bob was talking about too. I can't remember who makes them, but I have been thinking about picking one up myself. They are also great for carrying your camera when climbing, bending, etc. without it bouncing against you, or worse against a hard surface. Look in nature photography mags like "Outdoor Photographer." Always a good idea too to carry a second camera, even if just a small point and shoot, so if you have one stolen, you can still take photos of your experiences.

Old Apr 7th, 1999, 09:23 AM
Jeanie

The reason i thought letting it dangle around my neck would be a no-no is because it makes it completely obvious that you are a tourist. Of course the second I open my mouth people will know I am American, but still the expensive camera to me is almost like bait. I don't know, that's just the impression I get when I think about theft while traveling. I mean I always hear how wearing fanny packs can be kind of "dangerous." <BR>I appreciate the ideas though. I would love to find a way to prevent my camera from wildly swinging around my neck, crashing into everything in sight when I bend over. Putting tape in the brand name might not be a bad idea either. <BR>I intend on bringing a cheap replacement camera in case something bad does happen. Part of my fear comes from the fact that my travel companion got her camera stolen in Paris. While it was due to neglect on her part, it still caused some problems. No matter where we looked there were no $20 Vivitars to be found.

Old Apr 7th, 1999, 09:25 AM
dan

Check with your insurance company to see if they have camera insurance. I added this to my policy to cover all my equipment. It was not expensive at all. Check photo magazines for the straps that Bob was talking about too. I can't remember who makes them, but I have been thinking about picking one up myself. They are also great for carrying your camera when climbing, bending, etc. without it bouncing against you, or worse against a hard surface. Look in nature photography mags like "Outdoor Photographer." Always a good idea too to carry a second camera, even if just a small point and shoot, so if you have one stolen, you can still take photos of your experiences.