Advice on Greece Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2005, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've also posted separately for hotel advice for Santorini/Mykonos, but feel free to add those comments here too!

We are 4 friends, avg age 30, travelling to Greece in July. We have some preliminary thoughts about itinerary, and I'd like to get your advice...we'd like a good mix of nightlife, history, beach, & relaxation, so with that in mind:

Day 1 - arrive Athens 10:15 AM - ferry to Mykonos, stay on Mykonos.
Day 2- explore Mykonos, stay on Mykonos.
Day 3 - explore Mykonos, stay on Mykonos.
Day 4 - ferry to Santorini, stay on Santorini.
Day 5 - explore Santorini, stay on Santorini.
Day 6 - explore Santorini, stay on Santorini.
Day 7 - ferry to Naxos, stay on Naxos.
Day 8 - ferry to Athens, stay in Athens.
Day 9 - explore Athens, stay in Athens.
Day 10 - depart for home

So, main questions:
- Is it feasible in July to get from the airport to the port & ferry to Mykonos same day (with 10:15 AM flight arrival)?
- I understand from reading other posts that the July ferry schedules are not posted yet. From past experience, do all the ferries we will need to take run daily in July (e.g. Athens-Mykonos, Mykonos-Santorini, Santorini-Naxos, Naxos-Athens)?
- Is it recommended to make ferry reservations in advance, given that it is high season?
- Would you recommend the island itinerary we have laid out (e.g. 3 nights mykonos, 3 nights santorini, 1 night naxos) or would you take a night from santorini and add it to naxos?
- Should we make all hotel reservations in advance, again given that it is high season, and given the relative possibility of ferries being cancelled/missed, or that we wait and just decide where to stay once we get there?

Thanks in advance for any & all tips...we are so looking forward to this trip!!!!

Megan
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 08:32 AM

In July there's an 11:20am, a 1:20pm and a 2:30pm bus to Rafina from the airport that will connect you with a 4:00pm fast (2 hours) ferry from Rafina to Mykonos. You can make this ferry with time to spare. This information is based on current schedules available on the internet. The ferries you need are a daily occurrence so even if the times shift you will still be able to make your connections.

http://www.aia.gr/EN/passenger_infor...king/body.shtm

http://www.bluestarferries.com/ENGLISH/defaultmain.htm

The Hellas Flying Dolphin is the fastest way to get to Santorini from Mykonos, but it's only 4 days/week.

http://www.greekislands.gr/hfd/

http://www.gtp.gr

You can also go by car ferry from Mykonos to Paros, then take another car ferry to Naxos and catch the evening car ferry from Naxos to Santorini via Ios.

If you're the adventuresome type you can just wait until you arrive to find your rooms. It's a bit of a mad scramble, but you'll be met at every port by locals with rooms to offer. Advance ferry reservations aren't necessary on the car ferries unless you're taking a night boat and want to reserve a cabin; they're very big. But if you decide to go by Flying Dolphin I'd recommend a reservation in July because of more limited seating.

Your itinerary looks fine to me as long as you want to focus on the more upscale islands with maximum nightlife. Saving Athens to the end is a good idea.

Old Feb 21st, 2005, 09:48 AM

Your schedule depends on inventorying your interests, but you might consider dumping day from either Santorini or Mykonos and adding it to Naxos. (For me, I'd take one from both . . .)

Naxos is much more diverse than the others. If you like exploring villages and poking around to quiet, out-of-the-way beaches, then take another day on Naxos. The difference behind Mykonos/Santorini and Naxos is that once you get away from the Naxos harbor and a few resport pockets, tourism isn't such a driving force.

If you just compare the islands' best known towns at first blush, then the Naxos town comes in third for many people. If you like to get out and, then Naxos has much more to offer than either Santorini or Mykonos. All three are wonderful places, it's just a matter of preference.

As for booking in advance, that depends on you comfort with risk. I'd say Santorini is the best choice for booking ahead.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the quick & informative responses!

Brotherlee, thanks for the great advice & links! I went to the website for the HFD from Mykonos to Santorini (www.greekislands.gr/hfd/)...last summer it looks like it had daily departures (and was then 4 days/wk after Sep) - am I reading this incorrectly? If indeed it will only be 4 days/wk this summer, any idea which days those are?

Repete, I love your description of Naxos....it definitely sounds like an island on which I'd like to spend more time based upon my interests, but I need to make a case for my travel-mates who are a bit more into shopping & nightlife. Can we find a good amount of that on Naxos too, especially in high season? We're adding this island b/c a friend has told us we'll get much more of a true greece experience vs. that on mykonos or santorini (where we fully expect much more of an international tourist scene & all that entails), but I'm worried we won't get enough of Naxos with only one night!

Thanks again for the great tips...keep them coming!
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 11:26 AM

If the HFD schedule runs true to for they will probably run every day during Peak Season.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 11:27 AM

That's: "true to FORM."
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the clarification, brotherlee!

One more question: can you comment on the order of the islands? We definitely want to go to Mykonos first, but after that would it be better to go santorini-naxos-athens, or naxos-santorini-athens? Wasn't sure if one route offered advantages & shorter travel times than the other...
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 02:33 PM

The car ferry leaves Santorini in the morning, about 7:15, if I remember correctly, then stops at Ios, Naxos and Paros before continuing on to Athens/Piraeus. If you do the math it's a shorter ride back to Piraeus from Naxos than it is from Santorini. Take the HFD from Mykonos directly to Santorini, stay until you're ready to move on then take the car ferry (about 2 hours) or HFD to Naxos until it's time to go back to Athens. Keep yourself flexible enough if possible to add or subtract a day from island to island in case you get bored and want to move on. Nightlife on Naxos in July will be lively.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 09:04 PM

happymz,

Can't speak to the nightlife scene (we were their with a 12-year-old), but my guess is that the harborside will have plenty to keep you busy for a couple of nights.

We were there one night when local folk bands were playing at one end of the main drag. We were lucky enough to meet a Greek family with a boy about our son's age. Naxos was safe enough that the adults could linger over long, fabulous dinners at the harbor while the kids ate quickly then browsed the shops and watched the boats.

There's a long line of dining options on the harborfront and more as you wind your way toward the square.

As for shopping, there's a maze of corridors that lead up to the Kastro on the hill, filled with shops and more restaurants.

Out in the country side, there's Halki which has a fabulous ceramic place and the tiny Kitron distillery. Farther along in Apiranthos there is another ceramic shop and a craft shop of local knitting (and weaving?).

Here's a link to a wonderful studio:
http://www.fish-olive-creations.com/index.html
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for all of your advice! My research & planning is heating up again for this trip....so I'm back!
I've posted separately on these questions, but just in case wanted to post here instead. For hotels, we've narrowed down to -
*Mykonos: Harmony Hotel or Petasos Beach
*Naxos: Hotel Galini & Sofia or ???
*Santorini: Hotel Keti, Enigma Apts, or Loucas Hotel.

Thought perhaps if my previous 'repliers' (is that a word?) checked back here, you might be able to advise on these hotels if you have any insight?

BTW, Repete, that ceramic studio looks wonderful! We are considering renting a car for our brief stay on Naxos to explore - this is the only island we are considering doing this. Is it a good idea to rent a car on Naxos?
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 07:28 PM

I'd agree with Repete and take another day for Naxos. If that isn't possible and you can only have one day then I'd suggest you explore the main town. It has lots of historical sites, and the town is built like a maze to confuse attackers. You can easily spend the day visiting shops, tavernas and museums. Be sure to look for the Venetian museum just inside the kastro gates. It's a private home that has been occupied by the same family for 400 years and they just turned it into a very neat museum. It's private so it doesn't appear on the official literature. The wood fired bakery in the Old market is a must find. The bread is sooo good. You will also want to spend a couple of hours on St George beach.
Renting a car in Naxos is a very good idea as the island is a delight to explore however I'd suggest you save that for your next visit.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 08:47 PM

Hi

If you can tee up your international flight you might want to look at flying to Mykonos. Aegean Air's one way fare is 53E. I think this is a bargain in view of the time and hassles saved.

For hotels in Santorini it is my view the Loucas is overpriced. We stayed at the Grotto Villas nearby.

Have a wonderful time you lucky so and so!