Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

ADVICE on cities I plan to visit :) :) :)

Sep 28th, 2000, 10:08 AM
Danny

Guten Tag! (I'm learning German)

I have been "hitting" the books for the last two months, reading up on every city and every sight in Germany, Italy, Switzerland, Czech, and Austria, so I can make an educated itinerary. But it didn't seem to work. No matter how much I read about a place, somewhere along the road, I will come to the conclusion that I don't want to go there. I was hoping that since many of you have probably visited all of the cities I plan to, that you could tell me if you though they were worth your visit, and also how long you stayed in that city, and if you would have wanted to stay longer or less.

I will be travelling alone, by train, no cars. I will be travelling in late march, all the way through April. I will be visiting the following countries (feel free to suggest nice places) Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Austra, and Czech Republic. I would like to see beautiful scenery, and hike in the mountains, but would also like to see nice buildings in cities, like castles and churches, bridges. Right now, I plan to visit the following cities.

1) Rhine area in Germany
2) Prague
3) Vienna
4) Salzburg
5) Munich
6) Venice
7) Berner Oberland Region
8) Luzern
9) One day in Zurich

I really don't have too many cities, but do plan to take some day trips from each of the larger cities. I was also thinking of going to budapest, is it worth it?

Sep 28th, 2000, 10:18 AM
Jeff

I will comment only on the Rhine and defer to the more experienced regarding the other cities. Considering the amount of time you will have -- approx. a month -- as well as the fact that you have a lot to see elsewhere, I would consider spending maybe three days in and around the Rhine. I have spent only 2-3 days at a time in and around the Rhine and Mosel, doing some hiking, river cruising, and visiting castles. Granted, I could probably spend a week there, but considering your other desitinations... Also, please note that last time we traveled in that area it was in March and not as many castles or other attractions were open as would be in the summer. There have been some good posts about the Rhine and Mosel relatively recently, which you may want to consult. If you can get it to work, try searching by the name of one river or the other.

Sep 28th, 2000, 10:41 AM
MED

I'm not nearly as well traveled as some of the other people posting on this board but here are my thoughts:
I would spend two full days in Salzburg,five days in Prague and including maybe some little side trips to Kutna Hura or Karlovy Vary or Cesky Krumlov and at least five days in Venice. Luzerne is absolutely beautiful but I don't think you would need more than two or three days there.

Also, in my humble opinion, I would skip Budapest and just concentrate on the cities you have already listed. You are covering alot of places in one month.

I know many people disagree with me but I didn't like Munich very much so unless you have your heart set on it I would skip it or else just stay maybe a day or two.

Sep 28th, 2000, 12:31 PM
Russ

For castles in the Rhine/Mosel region that are easily accessible by train and tourable, head to Braubach (south of Koblenz, east bank of the Rhine) for Marksburg Castle:
www.roadstoruins.com/marksburg.htm

...or to Cochem on the Mosel for Reichsburg Castle:

www.roadstoruins.Cochem.html

Cochem is an especially nice town to overnight in. The Mosel is a bit quieter and peaceful in every way than the Rhine, with many small towns that are worth a visit.

Sep 28th, 2000, 12:33 PM
Russ

Sorry about that link. That's

www.roadstoruins.com/Cochem.html

Oct 1st, 2000, 07:46 AM
Don

St. Goar and Baccarch are superb and Murren is great!

Oct 1st, 2000, 08:10 AM
kk

I agree with the idea of skipping both Munich and Budapest. Concentrate on what you've already got. ForMunich I personally would substitute Bamberg, a small city with fantastic buildings from every period over the last millennium. No kidding--the place was never bombed in WWII and it also survived the devastation of the Thirty Years War in the 1600s. Wuerzberg on the Main River is also lovely.

Oct 1st, 2000, 08:44 AM
elaine

Danny
of the cities you mention I have only been to Venice, although I have great interest in visiting several of the others.
I can't say enough about how much I love Venice, and plan to revisit it many times. It is like nowhere else, and certainly is not a city that modern-day people would plan. Because of that, Venice's beauties and unique character can never be duplicated.
I spent 4 days there on my first trip, which at a minimum is about right in my opinion, although if I could stay there for weeks I would. Three days in the main part of Venice and another day exploring some of the lagoon islands.
I have sightseeing notes for Venice; if you are interested email me.
Don't just stick to the usual tourist
venues, although they are indeed wonderful. Try and get off the beaten track to see the "real" Venice.