Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Prague Marriott or Renaissance Hotel - too American?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2000, 04:41 PM
Kimberly

We will be in Prague for several days and need accommodations. I was considering either the Marriott or Renaissance hotels because I have a few free nights, but my husband says they are too American & cookie cutter. Are they? I would like to stay places with a Czech "flavor" vs just like home. Thank you! Kimberly

Old Sep 30th, 2000, 05:49 PM
Art

I don't know about the Renaissance but I visited the Marriotts last year when I was in Budapest and Prague. The Marriotts are nice hotels but definitly an American flavor. I heard nothing but english while in them. (I didn't stay at either one myself). If your husband wants a local flavor, it is probable not the place. <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 30th, 2000, 08:32 PM
Linda

We used AVE Accommodations at www.avetravel.cz They have a number of hotels & penzions in all price ranges. You will find a description, map & some pictures. I agree with your husband, the Czech hotels & penzions are as nice but different. We stayed at Penzion Balbin so not as expensive as what you wish, but we met a number of Europeans & the staff was great.

Old Oct 1st, 2000, 05:52 AM
Hyalker

Hello Kimberly: The two hotels are right across from each other and well located for touring Prague being just outside the Old Town area. The thing with Marriott/Renaissance is, like McDonald's, you can generally expect it to be the same all around. The Marriott being newer, it is a nicer place but both are fine. In most cases, I don't expect to do much as a tourist inside the hotel except sleep/shower and watch some TV, especially in Prague. As a business traveler, the service is also quite good. That said, I haven't seen many hotels with a "Czech" flavor, but with other influences in Prague's architectual history similar to Vienna, e.g. Art Noveau, you can find some nice old style hotels/cafes that have been around for a while and near the Old Town as well, i.e. Hotel Pariz (stone's throw from the Marriott) or the Grand Hotel Evropa. You might get a more "Czech" experience but may require some searching.

Old Oct 1st, 2000, 06:58 AM
Mary Ann

We were in Prague Sept 99 and stayed at a 3* Cloister Inn near Old Town. It was a converted monastery across the street from the old securite police station. Definitely old world but recently renovated, rooms were a decent size with CNN. However, it really boils down to what you plan to do and how much you want to spend. Location is the most important for activities. At ours we could walk to Old Town, the Jewish Quarter, Wenselas Squar and Charles Bridge very easily. Parking was also a concern since we had a car and they did have a secure courtyard. (From the above post the Marriott's location sounds fine, check if you need parking) Next was amenities. We are not into room service and exercise (you get enough walking) but we did want reasonably quiet and private bath and decent size bed, and safer neighborhood (this will drive up price). Last was price, not exorbitant, I think we paid about $100 a night double (including breakfast, excluding parking). <BR>I think if I had free nights then, I would have used them. You really are not in the hotel very much and the concierge helps in directing. We ate all meals, except breakfast out. Saving the money may allow other extravagances (shopping!). <BR>Again, alot depends on what you plan to do at the hotel, many such as ours did not have a restaurant and in reality we much more enjoyed small cafes and restaurants around the city. We really were only there to sleep, shower, change clothes and breakfast (I think my husband squeezed in one nap). And lets face it, in any hotel, most of the people are tourists and not the home town crowd. Staff was local, but the Marriotts is problably too. <BR>We are currently planning a trip to Sydney and using Marriott free nights for that so we can appreciate the advantage, expense wise they can provide. Have a great time in Prague it is a wonderful city. <BR>

Old Oct 1st, 2000, 09:25 AM
Kimberly

Thank you everyone for the advice. I'll show this to my husband, so he can decide.