Advice on Amboise

Nov 5th, 2003, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Advice on Amboise

I am going to Paris for 8 days and have decided to go to the Loire Valley for two days, one night. Like the looks (internet photo's of course) of Amboise. So how do I get there, have to take a train, and by the way is it possible to leave early in the morning, get on a train (what train by the way)stop in Chartres, get back on a train and get to Amboise? Or do I go to Tours and rent a car (a little afraid of doing this because I have never driven in Europe or rented a car there). And overall my mission is to see a chateau or two and stay someplace decent and have fun with my teenage daughter...thanks for all your suggestions. And one more thing, if it is suggested that I do the train thing, should I just book the hotel beforehand and then worry about getting on the train once I am in Paris, or do you think I should work it all out internet wise before I leave the U.S.A. Thanks everyone, I am soooooooo excited!
Nov 5th, 2003, 09:06 AM

TGV goes to Tours or Orleans. From there, you can take a regular train to Amboise. It is an easy town to walk around in, and I think a car would just be a pain. We were there on a bike tour.
The chateau looks good on the outside, but is actually not one of my favorites. The chapel does have Leonardo di Vinci's remains though.
Clos Luce is a must-see. If your daughter has studied di Vinci in school, it should be very interesting to her. The grounds are huge, and the basement as lots of models of his inventions. My boys loved it.
There are lots of little streets with shops to wander and cafes.
I would take the train there in the am then spend at least 1 night--two would be better. You could then visit Chenonceau which is my favorite chateau (we biked there from Amboise--it is only maybe 5 miles or so--easy to do). I make my TGV reservations ahead online but you probably could easily do in Paris. I just like to do it ahead online so it's in English and I know the schedule.
Nov 5th, 2003, 10:06 AM

Amboise Train Info: Two routes from Paris. 1 TGV from Gare Montparnasse to St Pierre-des-Corps (suburban Tours station but really main station in Tours) and take local train from there to Amboise, but gaps in schedules so go to www.sncf/voyages.com and put in Paris Montparnasse and Amboise for best connections. 2 Take non-TGV trains direct to Amboise from Paris Austerlitz station (about 2 hours), an easier connection because you need not change trains. This route goes via Aubrais (main station for Orleans) and Blois. TGVs don't run this route so you need not reserve in advance such is required on TGV to St Pierre des Corps. No problem getting trains as run about hourly so no need to do anything beforehand. If taking TGV make reservation in any Paris train station. Chartres is on a different rail line and not feasible to include in your routing. The station in Amboise is in the heart of town. Once there take the mini-bus tours that pick you up at hotels and visit a few castles in half or full days. Ask at the Amboise tourist office if your hotel desk doesn't have info. Amboise's Cheateau de Prey (spell ?)is a classic castle-hotel right in town. There was a recent post on Loire mini-bus tours by Acco-dispo in the last few days and folks really liked this outfit. Otherwise Amboise is a perfect Loire base, lovingly situated on the wild Loire river. Chenonceau, the most famous Loire castle, is just over the hill and through a large forest from Amboise. A few miles out of Amboise is the weird Pogoda de Chanteloup, an Oriental-like tower that is all that remains of a former sumptuous chateau - now in an evocative rural setting. Leonardo left his heart in Amboise - he's entombed in the parish church.
Nov 5th, 2003, 10:51 AM

Your trip sounds like a duplice of one we did a few years back. This is what we did and it worked out quite well.

We stayed in Paris three days and then rented a car, drove to Chartres, the Loire Valley and back to Paris for another few days.

The cathedral at Chartres is just amazing. Afterwards, we drove to the Loire Valley. One day we visited the chateau at Chambord and enjoyed it very much. DaVinci's influence is very much evident at that chateau. Chambord is definitely worth a stop.

The next day, we drove to Amboise and visited Clos Luce. It was a thrill to be in DaVinci's home. The home and grounds are lovely. My son and husband just loved the models of his inventions.

Along the road leaving Amboise, we found the greatest "wine caves" to purchase and, of course, sample terrific wines. We happen to enjoy Loire Valley wines and managed to find many very good wines at these caves. We even stopped for lunch at a cave which was now a restaurant...very interesting experience.

By the way, the driving was not difficult at all. It is mostly highway and then the countryside. We had no difficulties at all.

Have a wonderful time.
Nov 5th, 2003, 06:31 PM

The Amboise train station is very convenient to town but the tourist center isn't obvious from the station. You walk straight from the station down the small road that you'll see leading into the station. You'll get to the river and see a bridge. Cross the bridge and you will be in the thick of things. It's only about a half mile. A taxi w/luggage will be 10 Euro so I'd walk if you can pull your luggage.
Nov 5th, 2003, 10:58 PM

"Like the looks".

Do you have any idea about the history?