Advice on 19-day Spain & Portugal itinerary & Europcar

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2010, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are an Asian couple planning a 19-day trip to Spain & Portugal in late September/early October 2010. We have previously been to Barcelona but not the rest of Spain. We are in our late 30’s and will be travelling by car except in Madrid.

We would appreciate any comments on this itinerary? We will be flying in and out of Madrid. We are still happy to change this itinerary.

Day 1: Arrive Madrid, proceed to Toledo
Day 2: Cordoba
Day 3: Granada
Day 4: Granada
Day 5: Ronda
Day 6: Cadiz
Day 7: Seville
Day 8: Seville
Day 9: Algarve/Sagres
Day 10: Sagres
Day 11: Lisbon
Day 12: Lisbon
Day 13: Evora
Day 14: Marvao/Caceres
Day 15: Salamanca
Day 16: Segovia/Madrid
Day 17: Madrid
Day 18: Madrid
Day 19: Fly out of Madrid

One more question. We are booking the car for this trip from Europcar for the first time. Has anyone had any problem with Europcar in Spain before?

Your kind advice will be greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 08:52 AM

I think you're trying to see way too much a the 2.5 week time frame. You have 12 overnight cities - and 7 of the 12 overnight cities are 1-nighters. This is usually my check to see if I've planned too much for a trip. You'll spend alot of time seeing the road and packing,unpacking and checking into hotels.

Sevilla really deserves 4 nights and you only have 2. By the time you arrive in many of your 1-nighter cities you'll barely have time to sightsee before you have to leave again.

Is your airfare already booked? If not, could you arrange to fly in/out of Lisbon (eliminating the need to backtrack)?

If your airfare is already booked I'd focus on Portugal/Madrid and leave out Andalucia or Andalucia/Madrid and leave out Portugal. If you can get one flight leg from Lisbon I'd leave out either Madrid (and area) or Andalucia.

In other words, I'd leave out one of the 3 geographies.
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 11:17 AM

I have to agree with CathyM. You many want to rethink your itinerary, concentrating on Madrid and Andalucia, or Madrid and Lisbon, but not all three regions. It's far too much country to cover in such a short period of time.

As far as Europcar goes, it's one of the major rental companies. We've used them on several occasions and have never had a problem.
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 12:11 PM

Another vote for way too much.
Old Aug 14th, 2010, 05:53 AM

I would have concentrated on Sevilla and Cádiz (and surroundings) for some 8 days in Andalucía, then some 8 days Algarve and Lisboa, before rounding it up with 3 days in marvellous Madrid.

The Andalucía part: Maybe a day in Córdoba while in vibrant and spectacular Sevilla, and late September early October would be a great time for the fabulous beaches in the Cádiz region, otherwise known for it's 3000 years history (the Phoenician Gadir), excellent wines (Jerez/sherry (from nearby Jerez de la Frontera)) and the best seafood.
http://www.whatcadiz.com/
http://www.whatcadiz.com/cadiz-beach.html

The world's greatest and most important flamenco festival - the Bienal de flamenco - takes place while you are in Sevilla, from September 15th to Oct. 9th.
Old Aug 14th, 2010, 06:08 AM

I agree, leave some things out depending on what your interests are. Stay longer in Seville, make Cordoba a day trip from there.

Open jaw tickets would help - for example, flying into Madrid, and flying out of say Lisbon or Seville.
Old Aug 14th, 2010, 10:25 AM

I agree with everyone so far. I would focus on Madrid and Andalucia. You can always look forward to your next trip, Portugal to Galicia across the North coast to Basque country! Spend a lot of time in Seville (4 nights?) you're gong to be there during the Flamenco Bienial, a dream of mine. You might find Seville and Granada to be some of the best parts of the trip.
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 12:47 PM

We have used Europcar in Spain this year, and had no problems or issues with them at all. We managed to get a very good rate, took advantage of our credit card's CDW $0 deductible coverage (declining Europcar's own CDW), and also returned the car with a full gas tank. There were no protests or surprise charges on their part, whether at pick-up time or upon returning the vehicle.

kanadajin
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 07:05 PM

You are trying to visit the right places however I would reduce the number of overnight cities (to save time on packing and unpacking) and instead do side trips. Also you don't need a car in major city like Madrid.

So if you are stating in Madrid then do the Madrid portion first (with side trips to Toledo and Segovia). Segovia is only 1.5 hr o/w by bus http://www.lasepulvedana.es/. Toledo is even closer. That should be 4 or 5 days.

Then pick up your car and go to Andalusia (start with Cordoba (don't need overnight), then Granada, then go towards Costa Del Sol, maybe see Malaga, Ronda, Giblatar, Cadiz, then Sevilla).

From Sevilla make it to Algarve (with is 150km long from Spanish border to Sagres), then north to Lisbon (going to Evora on the way). I would also see Porto if possible.

Here is my trip report if interested (covers some of the places) http://harryk.hostzi.com/TripReport.html

Also for car rental try broker before commuting to Europecar. http://www.auto-europe.co.uk/ is good; they deal with major car rental companies and usually better rates (but not always)