Advice needed on 4-week central europe itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, my wife and I are planning to travel to Europe this May (everything needs to be booked and we work best with last minute deadlines!). This is our first trip (except I've been to Paris before). Below is a very broad outline of the itinerary we are thinking about, with cities to visit still to be finalised:

France (Paris) 4 days
Italy (Rome-Florence-Venice) 7 days
Austria (Vienna-Salzburg) 5 days
Switzerland (Geneva-Interlaken-Zurich) 6 days
Germany (Munich-Stuttgart) 4 days
Total 26 days + 2-4 days of travel time or other places that could be included
Fly back from Frankfurt or Paris

We like to cover scenic places and those of historical significance in our holidays (some world war heritage would be good to cover), and don't mind being on the go. We also like to have a good mix of popular tourist spots and relatively less known places (as they are likely to be less crowded).

Need the following inputs from you:
1. Assuming we travel in the order of the places mentioned above, any suggestions on spots to include / exclude (based on the preferences noted above)?
2. In order to witness some of the exciting but relatively less known places, if we were to hire a car for any part of the above itinerary (so as to be able to stop along the way as we please), which part of the itinerary would offer the best opportunities? I was thinking of doing that in Austria and Switzerland, and may be also Munich
3. The reason why I have Stuttgart in the list is primarily for the Mercedes-Benz museum, but can also cover what else the city has to offer. Does it make sense or could I swap it with another place?

Any comments would be appreciated. Many thanks in advance!

SPasari
Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 08:59 AM

I do not think that Rome-Florence-Venice with travel in between in 7 days is worthwhile. Leave out Rome and it becomes more sensible.

In general, how do you plan to travel?
Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Hi Michael, thanks for your response, much appreciated.

Would you rather go to Florence than Rome? I had thought of spending more time in Rome than in Florence, which makes it easy to visit Florence as it's not out of the way and avoids taking a 6 hour journey to Venice. Let me know your thoughts.

On mode of travel, will probably be next step to finalize that, but as a rough idea some flights (Paris-Rome) and then mostly trains or coaches. Also, as noted in my original query, exploring hiring a car for some areas which offer most exciting places along the way - villages / castle ruins / scenic spots.

Thanks again.
Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 02:59 PM

I guess you could do Florence as a day trip on the way to Venice, especially if you decide to skip the Uffizi. However, keep in mind that there are lines everywhere, to get into the Duomo, to go up the dome, to get into the Uffizi, etc. That slows down visiting time considerably.
Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 04:10 PM

The good news is you work best with deadline pressures---you will neeed to with this challenge.
You leave in May and still do not have air reservations? Start there.
This is what I call a shotgun itinerary--lots of big cities on the map with no real logistical plan. How do you plan to get from Paris to Italy, for instance. Why not see CH after Paris? You need a ton of help with this---I would start now.

If you hope to do any justice to these major destinations, I would limit yourself to 8 destinations---Rome and Paris deserve 5 days each. Some others deserve 4 days IMHO, such as Berner Oberland and Venice. I just killed 18 days right there.

You need to lay this out on a spreadsheet with a day by day action plan to include travel logistics. Make it a trip plan and not just a shotgun blast.
Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 04:16 PM

spasari,
If you mean doing a day trip to Florence from Rome , then that makes sense to me instead of staying in florence on the way to Venice. It will cost a bit more in train fares doing it that way, but considering Florence is only 1.5 hours away, then it would be easy to spend a good 8 hours in Florence , then return to your Rome Hotel. That would maximise your time a little more as opposed to checking out of and checking into another hotel.
Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 04:45 PM

Don't forget about Pisa when you're in Florence as well as Cinque Terre!! I know they aren't that far from Florence. I looked into renting a car but decided after viewing the gas prices I was in over my head! We recently just decided to take an "impromptu" Europe vacation next month too! Safe travels!!!!
Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 04:59 PM

IMHO you have too many differnt places, are not spending enough time to really get a feel for any of them - and have not allowed time for getting from one place to another. For instance - does the day you travel from Paris to Rome come out of your days in Paris or your days in Rome. I hope you're not counting the day 3 times (in Paris, in transit and in Rome).

Rome. Florence and Venice in 7 days just isn't enough IMHO - you need at least 4 nights in Rome and 3 each in Florence and Venice to see much of anything.

I suggest you lay out the itinerary day by day - and then try to figure out how much time you need to see what you want in each place. (If you can figure out how to see Rome in 2 days I would love to know how - since I've been at least 8 times and still have alot I want to see.
Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 05:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with nytraveler's last comment/suggestion. Deciding on a travel schedule before you know how much time you need in each place to see what you want to see makes no sense.

FWIW, I've been everywhere you listed. I would add more time to Paris/France to allow for jet lag and to give you an opportunity to go to Normandy or Picardy for World War I/II history/sights. I would nearly double your time in Italy to see the Big 3 at a minimum and spend a couple of days in the countryside. I would go to Lucerne rather than Zurich and the Lausanne/Montreux area rather than Geneva. I would have run out of time before getting to Germany, so I'd leave Munich and Stuttgart for another trip. The M-B museum is interesting and comprehensive but a bit too comprehensive for me. I'm not interested in trucks, vans, buses, etc., but I enjoyed the areas on post-WWI passenger vehicles and all of the racing stuff. Would I make a trip to Stuttgart just for this museum? Probably not.
Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all, very valuable inputs

@Michael - understood, I guess as also suggested by Theotherside, I will probably do day trips then and perhaps stay 1 more night at Rome

@bobthenavigator - I plan to fly from Paris to Rome. I have mentioned my rough idea about the mode of travel in my response to Michael above. The cities noted are more an indication of the areas (rather than the cities) and the route I plan to take - since nothing's finalised, everything is flexible but got to start putting some pegs in the ground. I didn't include CH right after Paris as I thought flying to Rome, then coming around to CH from Austria would work as I am not going back and forth so much. Also, may need to come back to Paris for my flight out (still weighing b/w Frankfurt and Paris), so probably ends up with the same flow, just the other way. However, happy to consider your views if you think any other way would be more efficient. One thing I did do was look at the map

@theotherside - thanks I had actually thought of doing a night at Florence, but if it's only 1.5 hours from Rome, can sure do day trip. I thought I read in Rick Steeves that it's a 3 hour bus...

@lenicolepickle - thanks and same pinch Yes, will see how I go with finalising the schedule but perhaps something will need to give. The gas prices are indeed quite high there.. however I was wondering if there are any parts of my journey that are best done by a car - something I would appreciate people's views on.

Thanks all, really appreciate you providing your comments.
Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

@nytraveller, Jean, thanks for very helpful suggestions. I will consider rejigging and adding more time to Italy and Paris if I can. I have 2-4 spare days for such things + travel time.

@Jean, like your suggestion about CH places to do. It will also simplify my route a little bit. I wanted to cover Munich, and my wife wants to do MB museum so I guess we will squeeze those places in somehow. I will keep Normandy, etc for the next time as it is a bit out of the loop. Any other tips on places to include / exclude along the mentioned loop? Also, any tips on places to drive (we want to have that experience somewhere and were thinking about Austria / CH for that)...
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 03:09 AM

sparasi,

Its roughly 1.5 hours by train from Rome's Termini Station to Florence's Santa Maria Novella station.
In Italian that is Roma Termini for rome's station and Firenza S.M. Novella for Florences station
check the trenitalia website

http://www.trenitalia.com and click on english flag top of the page
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 03:23 AM

As mentioned you are really pushing it to have things organised for May. Depending on how you go and how bookings work out for you, it may pay to consider a few day tours aswell???
It may help you to have a few easy days here and there.
As an example there are lots of day trips available from Rome on the viator website
http://www.viator.com/Rome-tours/Day...rsions/d511-g5
Some of these trips are a good 12 to 13 hours, but considering you are not the one driving are not overly tiring in my opinion.
Just a thought!