Search

advice needed 2 week driving tour in Spain

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
advice needed 2 week driving tour in Spain

Hello all,
I will try to keep this as short as possible but it will not be easy.
My wife and I are planning our honeymoon it will be a 2 week driving tour of Spain, our flight arrives in Madrid on Sep 15th and departs on the 28th. The only thing I want to be "on schedule" for is a football match in Barcelona, on the 19th or 20th.
The route I have thought up is here.
[route|http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...2&ie=UTF8&z=6]

All the "stops" on there are places I would like to see, am I being overzealous for a 2 week trip? I would like to spend that weekend only in Barcelona, other wise I think 1 day/night is enough for any where else.
Also should I try to book all my hotels in advance? Or leave some up to chance as I go along?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 11:42 AM

I am reading this correct that you want to visit 11 places in 13 days? Honestly you need to cut this in half at the very least. My first stop would be the divorce lawyer once I returned home if my new husband attempted this itinerary

Have you already bought your tickets? If not, you may be able to buy an open jaw and fly into Madrid and out of Barcelona or Valencia (or vice-versa). I'd think of this as 3 areas: Madrid/Central Spain, Andalucia/Valencia and Barcelona/Catalonia. 2 weeks in any of these areas alone is ideal - you're on your honeymoon after all. You'll definately want to cut out one of these areas at a minimum.
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Ian

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Are you being overzealous: yes. Are all of your photos of places going to be from a moving car: yes. As above, a car is not a great place to spend a honeymoon. Figure out what you really want to see & plan your trip accordingly. But take some time to enjoy the places.

Ian
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

I really want to see Toledo, Segovia, Barcelona and Girona.
How about if I cut out the Andalucia bit?
http://www.google.ca/maps?f=d&source...72&ie=UTF8&z=7
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 04:16 PM

Wow. What is your future wife's opinion about this itinerary? Having traveled to Europe several times, one of my cardinal rules is to NEVER stay only one night in one location. Otherwise, you're just chasing from place to place. When I think of an enjoyable honeymoon I think of time spent together without distractions. I think of relaxing, taking the time to linger over a bottle of wine, taking time to savor a sunset or a sunrise. The itinerary you have come up with (IMHO) doesn't allow for any relaxing, lingering or savoring! What, it is you BOTH really want from this trip?

You'll hear it again and again from us more "seasoned" travelers to SLOW DOWN. See less and enjoy what you see more.

But most importantly, ask your future wife for her opinion and engage her in the planning (if you haven't already).

Spain is a fabulous country. ENJOY!
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 04:58 PM

You have a month's trip there at least. And "the Andalusia bit" is IMHO the most interesting part of Spain, although we each have our own interests.

In 2 weeks - esp on a honeymoon you should have an ABSOLUTE max of 4 hotels. Pick that many towns to stay in and a day trip or two if you really want. Otherwise you will be rushing around madly, never have any time to relax - and what about the romance of a honeymoon? Where are the late nights strolling through plazas with floodlit fountains (dinner is at 10 in Spain you know)? And are you planning any nightlife - that doesn't end until 4 am? Where are the late mornings with breakfast in bed?

And I agree - has the bride reviewed this plan yet?
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 07:35 PM

In the alternative:

You can have a romantic interlude at one of the highway rest stops while wearing one of your favorite football jerseys.
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 09:34 PM

Just another quick suggestion.

Get car at airport and drive straight to Toledo 2 nights
Then go to Segovia and Pedraza 2 nights. See El Escorial
Return car?
19-Train/fly/ drive to Barcelona 3 nights.Return car.
22-Train to Valencia 2 nights
24-fly to Sevilla from Valencia

or.. skip Valencia and fly to Sevilla or Granada from Barcelona giving yourself more time in Andalucia

26 or 27-train back to Madrid

Splurge and get first class train tickets at a reduction webfare online at www.renfe.es and enjoy each other's company. First class on the trains gives you VIP waiting lounge and umlimited champagne and a meal or snack depending on departure time.

Also read www.maribelsguides.com for the most interesting details about Spain, places to stay and restaurants.

You may want to look into castle stays at the Paradors, which would be the main reason to have a car in the outskirts.
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 01:11 AM

Hi Santos! Writing you from Barcelona. I would recomend you to fly to Madrid and afterwards fly back to your country from Barcelona. Then, I can see you want to visit Girona (which is a wonderfull citty - do not forget to visit the jewish neighbourhood) and Toledo (idem - is amazing). I would not recommend you to cut off Andalucía (Sevilla, Granada & Cordoba) are wonderfull citties as well but... with all my respect to Valencia and Alicante... I would say that they are not as beatifull as the other ones. Another chance you have if you do not want to drive to Andalucía is to visit the North of Spain which is amazing as well and from Madrid and Toledo you have more or less 4-5 hours drive(San Sebastian, Oviedo, Logroño, Santander),weather is quite cooler than on south and food is great... in fact if you know how to experience a country as if you were a citizen... food is great everywere in Spain. If you need anything else...feel free to reply! Hope you enjoy
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

OK.... I am sure you all will like to hear that I have changed it around. Going to go pay
Arriving and leaving the same dates but from Barcelona. Not going to venture all the way over to around Madrid. Only thing is I have to be in Barcelona the weekend of the 19th.
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Places I would like to see.
Girona, Cadaques, Tarragona, Montserrat, Valencia, a winery or too, maybe in the Priorat region...
Going to stick to Catalunya with this one.
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Ian

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Now you are talkin'. If it was me, I would arr Barcelona & immediately drive to Montserrat. Relax for a few days, then double back to Barcelona, dump the car & stay a few days - see the game, the sites etc. Then grab a new car & do your southerly itinerary. Do Tarragona the 1st day & end up in Priorat area for a night or two. Then down to Valencia for the same.

Next up, drive up past Barcelona & do your northerly destinations in a leisurely fashion. Stay in a couple of places - Girona or a quaint village (Peratallada is one) or on the coast.

Then exit through Barcelona.

See Maribel's guides (linked above) for great info.

FWIW here is our short Catalunya visit many years ago:

http://members.rennlist.com/imcarthur/spain.htm

Ian
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 03:49 PM

can you fly into BCN and out of VLC?