Advice for flying

Apr 1st, 2007, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Advice for flying

I am thinking about an Italy trip next year but one of my concerns is the long plane ride to get there. The longest plane ride I have taken is 2-3 hours. Do they give you more leg room on planes that fly overseas and what else differs on the international flights as opposed to a 2 hour flight from Philadelphia to Florida? Italy is my dream vacation and I just wanted to know what other travelers' experiences were.
Apr 1st, 2007, 11:17 AM

Hi S,

I know what you mean. I was absolutely dreading the long flight on my first trip, and it was from CA to Venice! It actually went by faster than I thought it would. I think I was just so excited that made it bearable!

NO, you don't get more leg room. It's misery. Do the sitting leg exercises they recommend and get up and walk around as often as you can.

Good luck trying to sleep. Unfortunately I can't, but did the one time I went first class! That will never happen again.

Italy is worth it, buon viaggio!
Apr 1st, 2007, 11:19 AM

Nope, they don't give you more leg room. If anything the carrier I usually use to Europe (British Air) is even smaller seats and leg room than others (Alaska, Hawaiian, etc.)
Apr 1st, 2007, 11:23 AM

Sorry to say that noooooo you don't have more leg room on international flights....unless you upgrade to business or first class. Now I have heard of some airlines having more leg room in the economy section......can anyone else jump in here an help? You do have other options like requesting/hoping for a bulkhead seat with more room to stretch out. Most people try to sleep on these long flights. I'm always SO excited about our trip, so it's hard for me to sleep. I can't think of any major differences between international and domestic flights......flight time being the given obvious difference. haha Italy is fabulous! I hope you get to take your dream vacation! Melissa
Apr 1st, 2007, 11:26 AM

spb825:

I fly from New York to Rome (or Milan), and, yes, the plane ride, including the inevitable wait on the tarmac, can be tiring. But bring a book, some magazines, write in a travel journal about what you hope to do and see, make sure to drink enough water and get up periodically to stretch and walk about the cabin, engage your next-seat neighbor if he or she is engageable, and watch a movie or other video for a time, and you’ll be fine.

The rewards of going to Italy, you’ll discover, are immense.
Apr 1st, 2007, 11:45 AM

You might try the following:

www.seatguru.com

http://www.airlinequality.com/

This will give you the exact pitch (total seat to seat length) and might help you decide on a specific airline.
Apr 1st, 2007, 11:49 AM

No more leg room. But most planes have two aisles so you can get up and move around more easily - even walk a loop arould the whole cabin to get the kinks out.

And they will serve you real meals - usually dinner and breakfast plus snacks
Apr 1st, 2007, 11:50 AM
nma

Go to your doctor and request a sleeping aid. Sleepign through it is the best way to make it fly by. It's totally worth it when you get there!!!!!!
Apr 1st, 2007, 02:32 PM

US Air just started making their new planes with more room in coach for overseas flights. They have decided that the comforts of their passengers was far more important than their costs. These new seats are comparable to 1st class seats in their old planes! These new planes will be in use starting May 1.
Apr 1st, 2007, 02:36 PM
ira

Hi Spb,

>The longest plane ride I have taken is 2-3 hours.....<

Do you have health problems that would be aggravated by being in a plane overnight?

Otherwise, think of it as 3 short plane rides.

Apr 1st, 2007, 02:41 PM

The best flight I ever had from England to the U.S. was the one where my watch battery died! Not being able to see a clock and keep track of "are we there yet??" actually made the time seem to go by quicker. I also tried to not look at the little traveling airplane so many overseas flights make available on the seat-back in front of you.

Walk around as much as you can and drink water. Drink enough and walking around won't be a problem as you'll have to visit the facilities on a regular basis

As others have said, have a stack of reading material (this would be a good time to settle in with a guide/reference book about the areas you'll visit) and/or try a sleeping pill (altho I have to stay awake the entire time in case the pilot has to call on me because of an emergency...wink).
Apr 1st, 2007, 02:53 PM

One other important thing: take plenty of you own water! Trying to get a drink of water on a plane with the flight attendants serving hundreds of passengers is nearly impossible. They often run out! I take 2 liters.
Apr 1st, 2007, 02:54 PM

DinPa says: US Air just started making their new planes with more room in coach for overseas flights. They have decided that the comforts of their passengers was far more important than their costs. These new seats are comparable to 1st class seats in their old planes! These new planes will be in use starting May 1.

This is 100% wrong.

US Airways is redoing their economy cabin to replace the old fabric seats with leather seats, but the amount of room will be the same (which is to say, lousy). The seats are not at all be similar to any 1st-class seats.
Apr 1st, 2007, 02:55 PM

Do you live in Philly? If so, the best thing you can do for yourself is to book a non-stop flight on USAirways. They fly non-stop to Rome (A330), Milan (B767), and Venice (B767, starting this summer). It'd save you time and so much easier than a flight with a connection.

USAirways new A330 is very nice with advanced personal video screen for inflight entertainment.

The outbound flight is about 8 hours. You get served dinner, you watch a movie (or read a book), you try to sleep for about 4-5, they serve you breakfast, and you're there.

The return flight is longer at around 10 hours. It's during the day, so you won't be sleeping much. Just bring enough reading and music material with you, and you take a nap or two.
Apr 1st, 2007, 02:57 PM

April fools
Apr 1st, 2007, 05:45 PM

What you lose in leg room you'll make up for in Ambien..

When you get cranky, take out one of your travel guide books or language guides and start reading. It will amp you up again. Or break out that big fat novel someone gave you for your birthday a few years back that you haven't quite gotten around to reading yet.

Finally..water, stretches and more water (to which I've been adding much Airborne these days)!
Apr 1st, 2007, 05:53 PM

"Sorry to say that noooooo you don't have more leg room on international flights..."

What? I'm really only familiar with American, but they offer considerably more legroom in coach on their international flights than on their domestic ones. I've been mainly flying Business on FF miles, but last year flew home from London to Miami in coach. I hate to admit it but I was actually "comfortable" in coach. And there was a whole lot more legroom than any domestic flight I've ever been on. I just assumed all airlines had more room in coach on their international planes than on their domestic ones. No?
Apr 1st, 2007, 06:33 PM

You can do alot of research but probably in the end you'll take the airline that gives you the best deal. I'll be flying from Philly this summer on the non-stop to Rome. I also checked out seatguru.com. However, on the flight TO Rome, they said I couldn't choose my seat until check in. I like aisle seats so I don't have to climb over anyone. My husband likes the window so he can lean against it with his pillow.

The flights are typically in the evening. I plan on going to bed around 6pm a few days before to try to get on Rome time. Then hopefully I'll fall asleep right after dinner on the plane.

I flew to Australia from Boston a few years ago and that was a total of 29 hours.

Make the flight comfortable. Drink plenty of water, stay away from alcohol! Whenever you can walk around.

Don't carry alot on to the plane if you plan on checking luggage. Keep the area around your feet free. Bring some travel slippers, get a blanket and pillow, some quiet music on your ipod.....book, pencil, first day itineary so you can review and get all excited.

Spring for a non-stop to Las Vegas to prepare!

We'll see what my trip report says in July....
Apr 1st, 2007, 07:45 PM

Regarding USAirways, according to SeatGuru.com the new Airbus333 has 2 inches more legroom in the first 21 rows of economy than in the back ones. I've booked that for a trip to London on Wednesday, so I'll let you know if it's true when I return!
Apr 1st, 2007, 08:43 PM

NeoPatrick - you'd best stay up front in Business class. AA advertised for ages about their extra leg room in coach. But then pretty much reversed course and have cut things back down to the same miniscule pitch of all the other carriers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO