Advice for Bruges

Old Jun 6th, 2000, 04:06 AM
Richard Selfridge

Advice for Bruges

I'm off to Bruges this weekend. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions as to what to see and where to eat? Thanks in advance.

Richard

Old Jun 6th, 2000, 04:48 AM
lola

Yes--get up early in the morning and walk around before the crowds, when the mist is on the water. Also, late at night, when the lights reflect. Bicycle to Damme, a small town nearby. I disagree with most: I did not like the 30-minute canal boat trip--crowded in like a sardine and a corny speil most of the way asking for a tip. You see better by walking. Memling is a great Flemish primitive painter. The standard things are worth it: the local tourist board has free literature which spells it out--but the great beauty is the architecture, so walk and get lost, but early, early early to get the most out of it.

Old Jun 6th, 2000, 10:39 AM
Jeff

I just got back a week or so. The canal ride is well worth it. The Market square is impressive. I enjoyed the climb to the top of the belltower. Good exercise and the clock works are fascinating. But get out of the squares and just walk a bit. There is a restaurant on the Burg Square, which we ate at. OK food, but not very friendly. Just touristy. We only ate at the touristy places, though, but enjoyed them nonetheless. Across from the belltower there is a line of restaurants and some are better than others. I think we enjoyed one that was called Cafe Central, or something "Central". It was more expensive than it was probably worth, but the view of the clocktower at night in the rain was priceless.

Old Jun 6th, 2000, 11:57 AM
Ann

Richard,
Bruges is a great town to walk around. We also ate on the square at the Central Cafe. The food was quite good. Do try any of the seafood as they are only 15km from the sea. The mussels are great. Also,if you like beer, make sure to try the Leffe Dark. I don't like beer myself, but my husband and father in law both went nuts over this stuff and I had to admit it was very good! We like the canal ride as you get a much different perspective of the town from the water. Walk over by the windmills and try one of the two little taverns there. Cannot remember the names, but food was good and much less "touristy" setting. Have fun. We love the town!

Old Jun 6th, 2000, 02:26 PM
Bob

Don't miss Ghent/Gent, not far away. It is also worth a visit.

Old Jun 6th, 2000, 03:55 PM
M&J

Bruges----we love it when there is a question about this fantastic city.
It brings makes mouth watering memories of chocolate !!
Try our favorite: Maitre Chocolatier Verbeke, Geldmunstraat 25, about a block off Market Square. I think they are closed on Monday. When you become addicted, blame us !

Old Jun 8th, 2000, 02:18 AM
Richard

Thanks for all the advice everyone. We're off tomorrow, so I'll let you know how we get on. I can't wait to go...

Old Jun 8th, 2000, 04:10 AM
martha python

Shoot--maybe you'll check your email before you leave. Sorry for the delay but I was hoping to get names and addresses of twoo restaurants we really liked. Failed utterly. Anyway, one block from the main square (I think) is a place called "The Copper Kettle" only in Dutch; it serves delicious duck cooked in kriek. We had a great, fancy (but not that expensive) meal at Die Buhne, which was on San Saalvatore (sorry 'bout the spelling) Street.
I agree with Lola--skip the boat tour. Spend the time and money on chocolate and beer instead.
Have a great trip.